UVM Job Shadowing Program
(available on 9/20/17)
Questions about shadowing?
Attend an Orientation Session at The Hub
(required to apply to the shadowing program)
Come to Drop In Hours in The Hub:
- Monday-Thursday 10am-5pm
- Friday 10am-3pm
Or email the program coordinator, Amanda Chase
Wed, Sept 20th
Job shadowing sites are listed in Handshake
Wed, Nov 1st, Noon
Deadline to apply for shadowing program
Tues, Nov 28th, 5-6pm
Wed, Nov 29th, 5-6pm
Mandatory Pre-Departure Session in the Mildred Livak Ballroom (4th Floor of the Davis Center)
Mon, Dec 18th - Friday Jan 12th
Shadowing Day occurs on a day agreed upon by the host and student
The UVM Job Shadowing Program connects students with alumni so that you can go on a one-day job shadow over your winter break. You can see what a typical work day looks like, make connections to people in an industry, and determine if this type of job is a good fit with your interests and goals. Each year there are about 100 job shadow sites available in a variety of different industries and locations.
- The deadline to apply for the program is Wednesday, November 1st at Noon
- In order to apply, you must first attend a 30-minute orientation at the Hub.
- Students are matched on a first-come, first-served basis. It is in your best interest to apply early!
- Your Job Shadowing day will happen over winter break (between December 18th and January 11th) on a day agreed upon by you and your host.
- Job Shadowing sites are available in a variety of locations. You are responsible for getting to the shadowing site, so be sure to choose a site you can get to over winter break.
- You aren’t expected to have prior knowledge or experience: this is a great learning opportunity!
- You are expected to act professionally and represent UVM well. We'll talk about how to do this during the shadowing pre-departure session.
Finding Sites and Applying
Job shadowing sites are listed on Handshake. Log in to the system with your NetID and click Jobs & Internships. In the Keyword box, enter "uvm job shadowing", and job shadowing sites will come up. You can then narrow by location and employer industry, and learn more about each job shadowing site.
You will be able to view job shadowing sites in the system, but will only be able to apply once you attend a job shadowing orientation.
To apply you'll need to:
- Attend a 30-minute orientation.
View the Events listing in Handshake for upcoming orientations.
Info sessions will go over the application process, the matching process, how to be successful on your shadowing day, and how to follow up effectively. If you have participated in the job shadowing program previously, you are not required to attend an orientation.
- Upload your resume in Handshake
Click on the "Documents" tab to upload your resume.
Need help with your resume? Check out these resources:
- Apply to your chosen shadowing site in Handshake:
Click the apply button on your chosen Job Shadowing site.
After you submit your application, you will receive a brief follow-up survey asking why you chose this shadowing site, and what you hope to gain from a shadowing experience.
Matches are made on a first-come, first-serve basis: it is in your best interest to apply your application early!
Please contact Amanda Chase in the Career Center if you have questions about the application process.
Once a student and host are matched, they will receive each other's contact information. It is then the student's responsibility to contact their host to schedule a mutually convenient shadowing day during winter break. The student is responsible for all transportation, housing, and logistics for the shadowing day.
Shadowing hosts can help answer questions as you prepare for the shadowing day. We recommend discussing the following as you make your plans:
- What time should you show up?
- What should you wear?
- What will the schedule look like?
- How should you get there? What should you know about public transit or parking?
- What should you bring? (e.g. ID, lunch, notebook, money for parking)
After the shadowing experience, both students and hosts will be asked to complete an evaluation of the Shadowing Program.
Alumni hosts are taking time out of their schedules to allow you to join them. As such, we require that you:
- Use professional communication and respond to messages promptly (within 24 hours)
- Follow through
- Communicate any issues to Amanda Chase
- Arrange your own transportation and show up at the agreed upon time and place
- Send a thank you note after shadowing
Please contact Amanda Chase in the Career Center wih any questions about the UVM Job Shadowing Program.