UVM Job Shadowing Program
(available on 9/19/18)
Questions about shadowing?
Complete the online orientation.
(required to apply to the shadowing program)
Come to Drop In Hours in The Hub:
- Monday-Thursday 10am-5pm
- Friday 10am-3pm
Or email the program coordinator, Amanda Chase
Wed, Sept 19th
Job shadowing sites are listed in Handshake
Wed, Oct 31st, 11:59pm
Deadline to apply for shadowing program
Mon, Dec 17th - Friday Jan 11th
Shadowing Day occurs on a day agreed upon by the host and student
The UVM Job Shadowing Program connects students with alumni so that you can go on a one-day job shadow over your winter break. You can see what a typical work day looks like, make connections to people in an industry, and determine if this type of job is a good fit with your interests and goals. Each year there are about 100 job shadow sites available in a variety of different industries and locations.
- The deadline to apply for the program is Wednesday, October 31st at 11:59pm
- In order to apply, you must first complete the 25-minute online orientation.
- Students are matched on a first-come, first-served basis. It is in your best interest to apply early!
- Your Job Shadowing day will happen over winter break (between December 17th and January 11th) on a day agreed upon by you and your host.
- Job Shadowing sites are available in a variety of locations. You are responsible for getting to the shadowing site, so be sure to choose a site you can get to over winter break.
- You aren’t expected to have prior knowledge or experience: this is a great learning opportunity!
- You are expected to act professionally and represent UVM well. We'll talk about how to do this during the shadowing orientation session.
View UVM Job Shadowing Program Sites 2018-2019 in a full screen map. Note that shadowing sites are first-come, first-serve, and sites will be removed as students apply.
Finding Sites and Applying
Job shadowing sites are listed on Handshake. Log in to the system with your NetID and click Jobs & Internships. In the Keyword box, enter "uvm job shadowing", and job shadowing sites will come up. You can then narrow by location and employer industry, and learn more about each job shadowing site.
You will be able to view job shadowing sites in the system, but will only be able to apply once you complete the online orientation.
To apply you'll need to:
- Complete a 25-minute online orientation.
Students will not be eligible to apply in Handshake until they complete the orientation. The Orientation goes over the application process, the matching process, how to be successful on your shadowing day, and how to follow up effectively. If you have participated in the job shadowing program previously, you may skip the orientation.
- Upload your resume in Handshake
Click on the "Documents" tab to upload your resume.
Need help with your resume? Check out these resources:
- Apply to your chosen shadowing site in Handshake:
Click the apply button on your chosen Job Shadowing site. Please apply to only one shadowing site, or your application will be delayed.
After you submit your application, you will receive a brief follow-up survey asking why you chose this shadowing site, and what you hope to gain from a shadowing experience.
Matches are made on a first-come, first-serve basis: it is in your best interest to apply early!
Each student can apply to one shadowing site before the application deadline. After the deadline passes, an email will be sent to all applicants about remaining job shadowing sites that are still available. At that time, a student can select a second job shadowing site, if they so choose.
Please contact Amanda Chase in the Career Center if you have questions about the application process.
Once a student and host are matched, they will receive each other's contact information. It is then the student's responsibility to contact their host to schedule a mutually convenient shadowing day during winter break. The student is responsible for all transportation, housing, and logistics for the shadowing day.
Shadowing hosts can help answer questions as you prepare for the shadowing day. We recommend discussing the following as you make your plans:
- What time should you show up?
- What should you wear?
- What will the schedule look like?
- How should you get there? What should you know about public transit or parking?
- What should you bring? (e.g. ID, lunch, notebook, money for parking)
After the shadowing experience, both students and hosts will be asked to complete an evaluation of the Shadowing Program.
Alumni hosts are taking time out of their schedules to allow you to join them. As such, we require that you:
- Use professional communication and respond to messages promptly (within 24 hours)
- Follow through on your commitments
- Communicate any issues to Amanda Chase, and inform her immediately if you need to withdraw from the program
- Arrange your own transportation and show up at the agreed upon time and place
- Send a thank you note after shadowing
Please contact Amanda Chase in the Career Center wih any questions about the UVM Job Shadowing Program.