Find Part-Time Jobs
Need a job? Looking for seasonal work? You have options! Work experience and skill-building of all kinds (not just internships) are important and valuable when you go to find full-time employment.
Consider what is most important to you right now:
- Proximity to campus
- Work environment
- Skills you want to develop
Choose your part-time job with these needs in mind. And, remember that even part-time work can offer far more than a paycheck; perhaps you want to consider a position that offers experience relative to your area of study and/or an opportunity to try something hands-on.
Tips for the Searcher
- Apply in person: Many organizations prefer to take applications for part time work in person. It is usually fine to stop by during business hours to request an application.
- Dress appropriately: You may be able to speak to the hiring manager.
- Pick up a map and plan your strategy around location: If you don't have a car on campus, you could also consider the bus routes. (CCTA, (802) 864-0211)
- Be realistic about the amount of time you will be able to work: take into consideration, class and study time as well as activities and social time and don't forget commuting time!
Part-time Job Search Resources:
Links to area job posting sites:
- Catamount Job Link: Career Services' online job database
- Seven Days: Weekly online postings
- Vermont Job Websites: Access area resources for current postings
- Lake Champlain Chamber of Commerce: Job Board
- Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility: Jobs and Paid Internships
- School Spring: Education Related positions
- University Mall
- Additional Job Resources by Category
- VT Jobs Board
Local Business and Organization Directories:
Listings of area businesses and their contact information to assist in the job search process.
- The Campus Concierge: List of local restaurants, businesses and attractions
- The University Mall: List of businesses near campus
- Burlington Town Center: List of businesses near campus
- Church Street Marketplace: List of businesses near campus
Sample Area Employers:
Some places to explore:
- Fletcher Allen Health Care
- Visiting Nurse Association of Chittenden and Grande Isle Counties
- City of Burlington
- Home Instead
- Temporary Agencies:
Use Your UVM and Personal Networks:
Most jobs are found through personal contacts. Explore the UVM community and people you know.
- On-campus options: The libraries, dining facilities, and Chatty Cats often hire and can be found on the UVM Directory
- Childcare postings at the Campus Children's Center in Living/Learning C Building
- Department and school/college bulletin boards
- Friends and roommates
Last modified May 02 2013 02:25 PM