Sample Networking and Informational Interviewing Questions
- How did this type of work interest you and how did you get started?
- What jobs and experiences have led you to your present position?
- What are the duties/responsibilities in your job? What does a typical day or week look like for you? What percentage of your time is spent on which responsibilities?
- What kinds of problems do you deal with? What kinds of decisions do you make?
- What knowledge, skills, abilities, and other qualifications are desirable for this job?
- What do you view as the critical skills for a position in this field?
- What is your favorite and least favorite element of your job?
Career field questions
- What are typical entry-level jobs in this field?
- What is the typical pattern of career development in this field?
- What are the trends and hot issues in this field? What journals or web sites do you regularly read to keep up with trends and developments in your field?
- What obligations does your work place upon you, outside of the ordinary workweek? What are your working hours like?
- How often do people in this field change jobs?
- How much flexibility do you have in terms of dress, schedule, vacation, etc.?
Career preparation advice
- How did UVM prepare you for this work? What kind of background is necessary to enter this field?
- How can I acquire the required skills? Are there courses, or experiences, paid or otherwise, which you would recommend?
- If you were to hire someone to work with you today, what factors would be most important in your hiring decision and why?
- Is a graduate degree recommended? Are there specific programs that are valued in this field?
- What other related types of work should I consider and research?
Job search advice
- Given my education and experience, would I be a competitive candidate for entry-level positions in this field?
- How do you suggest that I break into this field?
- Are there specific job search strategies or web sites that I should be utilizing? How can I identify advertised and unadvertised vacancies in this field?
- What types of employers hire people in this line of work?
- How can I identify/access both advertised and unadvertised vacancies in this field?
- Can you suggest anyone else whom I can contact for additional information? May I use your name when I contact them?
Resume review questions
- Is this an appropriate resume for the jobs I will be seeking? What about the length, paper quality, layout, print-type?
- If an employer received this resume, how do you think she or he would react to it?
- How might I best improve the form and content of my resume?
For more questions, check out the Quintessential Careers Website Information Interviewing Tutorial
Last modified August 28 2012 02:25 PM