Choosing a Major
How do you choose just one?
Some people just know; most do not. The Career Center is here to help.
Before you start, here are a few secrets to reduce your stress:
- Most majors can lead to multiple careers. (And most career fields have people with a variety of majors).
- Your College Experiences is more than just your Major. Think: volunteering, leadership, campus activities, athletics, internships, part-time jobs and more! See the 4 Year Plan for Career Success to think about your complete college experience.
- Your Major Choice is unlikely to be a Major Mistake. Consider what you enjoy, what you are good at, and your potential long-term goals. Follow our step-by-step guide and you can find a major that’s right for you!
Major Choice Steps for Success:
- Get to know what majors and minors are offered at UVM. View majors and minors. Explore the UVM Catalogue.
- Learn about how many majors translate to diverse career paths. Visit our page what can I do with a major in ... ? and find out what alumni in your major have done for work! An additional useful resource: What can I do with this major?
- Complete the choosing a major worksheet: Answer the questions, then meet with a career counselor to discuss. View the worksheet.
- Talk to professors of courses you are interested in or enjoying. Professors are great resources about what it might be like to major in that area. Current students in that major can also share helpful information about their experience.
- Come see us. Our career counselors are qualified to help you talk through all of your thoughts and questions when declaring a major. Schedule an appointment or stop by during Drop-In Hours to begin the conversation.
Academic Year: Monday-Thursday: 1:00 - 4:00pm
Friday, 1:00pm - 3:00pm
Career + Experience Hub, Davis Center
School Breaks: Monday- Friday: 1:00-2:30pm
Living / Learning E-140
Last modified June 29 2016 09:16 AM