How do you want to be perceived and remembered? If you want to make a good first impression, it’s important to pay attention to the message you are sending as you introduce yourself. An elevator speech is a brief introduction including: core skills, interest areas, and goals.
Get started on crafting your Elevator Speech
- I am… (Introduction of name, career field, major, school etc.)
- I have experience/ skills in … (Brief description of your experiences, skills, and/ or studies.)
- I am interested in/ would like to… (Your career interests, aspirations, goals.)
Example: Hello, My name is Brenda. I am a senior studying Social Work at UVM and have a strong interest in advocacy and social justice. I have experience as a peer mentor and RA and have developed skills in conflict resolution and group facilitation. I’m interested in working with adolescents.
For Career Fairs and Networking events add your knowledge of their organization
- I’ve learned that your organization…. (Demonstration of your research about their organization.)
Example: I understand that your organization works with homeless and runaway youth in the Burlington area. I would like to learn more about your summer opportunities.
- Be prepared to talk about yourself anytime, anywhere. You never know who’s listening!
- Prepare different versions of your elevator speech for various situations
- Make your speech sincere and provide a glimpse into your personality
- Speak confidently and enthusiastically
- Maintain eye contact with the listener
- Use more words than necessary
- Use jargon, abbreviations, or acronyms
- Rush breathlessly through the speech or sound overly rehearsed
Uses for an Elevator Speech
- Any time you want to Present Yourself Professionally!
- Career Fairs
- Networking Events and Receptions
- Interview Introductions
- Exchanging Business Cards
- Voicemail Messages
- Forbes: The Perfect Elevator Pitch to Land the Job
- Bloomberg Business Week: The Perfect (Elevator) Pitch
- Wetfeet: Be Able to Introduce Yourself
Last modified September 03 2015 11:26 AM