College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences
Credits are just the starting line for your four year plan. Outside of the classroom - working, finding internships, and expanding your network will also help you land a job. Read on for UVM's step-by-step guide for career success.
To customize your plan, click "Start Your Plan" for your current class year or choose the focus that best represents where you are now in the career cycle: Explore, Experience, Focus, Achieve.
First Year: Explore
Connect on Campus
Discover Your Strengths & Interests
Second Year: Experience
Commit to Your Studies
Engage in Experiential Learning
- Meet with the CEMS Career Coordinator or Career Center to plan for internship, research, and volunteer opportunities.
- Get involved in events in your major! (ASCE Steel Bridge Competition, Hackaton/CodeFest, SWE Conference, Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing)
- International students: Undertand CPT & OPT rules.
Build Career Awareness
- Go to internship events, career fairs, panels, and workshops.
- Connect with alumni through LinkedIn, networking events, or the Job Shadowing program.
- Interested in Graduate School? Attend an Accelerated Master's Program information session.
- Check out helpful tools: Candid Career videos, Big Interview & GoinGlobal
Get funding to get experience:
Across UVM there are scholarships amounting to a quarter of a million dollars for students to support their internships in a variety of different industries.
Third Year: Focus
Cultivate Your Career Identity
LAND YOUR DREAM JOB
Civic SolarCivil Engineering Associates Inc.
Columbia Gas of MA
Hussmann CorpJaybridge Robotics
Keurig Green Mountain
MIT Lincoln Labratory
PC Construction Company
Power WorksRazz Construction
Renewable NRG Systems
SOH Wind Engineering LLC
The Mayo Clinic
United States Navy Civil Engineering Corp
Woodard & Curran
Fourth Year: Achieve
- Go through your Degree Audit with CEMS Student Services
- Complete the Intent to Graduate Form
- Step into leadership positions
Expand Career Connections
94% of College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences graduates are employed or continuing their education within one year of graduating from UVM.
Last modified October 11 2017 10:51 AM