Lecture Seven CALS 183
Communication Methods, Lecture Outline
Week of Oct 6-10,
CALS 183 Lecture A (CRN 90152)
Tuesdays 1:00-2:15pm L/L Commons 315
CALS 183 Lecture B (CRN 91497) Thursdays 1:00-2:15pm L/L
Other Lecture options (CALS 001):
Lecture A (CRN 90137) Mondays 1:55 - 2:45pm 001 Kalkin
Lecture B (CRN 90138) Wednesdays 1:55 - 2:45pm 001 Kalkin
Lecture C (CRN 92994) Fridays 1:55 - 2:45pm 004 Kalkin
Lecture D (CRN 92995) Tuesdays 2:30-3:45pm 314
Please put away all electronic
devices (laptops, smart phones, iPods, etc.) and take out a
something to write with and paper.
Attendance speech: "Your Name, I have
always wanted to ______"
Tips From TAs:
- Practice your Group Critical
- Bring Flash Drive (2+
Gigs) to lab when you present (Individual /
Persuasive / Choice).
- Check Syllabus
speaking schedule for when you are presenting and your lab
Critique assignment. UVM lecture calendar
site. Due in TWO WEEKS in lab week of Oct 21.
Lab critiques of fellow student presenters should be at least
two complete sentences: Positives, and suggestions for
2. Lab critiques should be have your
3. Avoid first words "Ah", "So", "Alright",
4. Proof read reflection papers.
5. If you use PowerPoint, save files as ppt
or pdf (not pptx). Don't read from slides - keep text to an
absolute minimum - Images only is best.
6. The Objective must explain how the
audience will be changed by your presentation.
7. Repeat any questions at the end so the
audience can hear.
8. Include "Image Source: ..." on any
9. End with "Thank You", not "That's about
10. Use creative hooks - here
are some ideas.
11. PAUSE for effect.
12. Explain the REASON you chose this topic, and
13. Use a PRESENTATION OUTLINE - big font, one
sheet, outline. Do not use Note Cards in your hand!
14. Do not ask for questions at the end - that is
the job of the Master of Ceremonies - Not the speaker!
should be clear: "Now you know about what apples to use,
lets look at oven temperature..."
16. If you leave or enter the room, WAIT until
speakers are finished.
17. When presenting, dress neat and
conservative (avoid t-shirts, faded jeans, sweatshirts).
18. Restate must knows should be SPECIFIC, not
19. Have a strong ending that is separate from
the restate of must knows.
20. Make sure there are at least 2 GigaBytes
free on your flash drive.
21. Anticipate what the questions might be, so
you are ready with an answer.
22. Follow the Critique Sheets!
-Objective - action
& Critique: Wash Your Hands
Motivation TED Talk, How
use paper towels