Lecture Eight CALS 001 Foundations:
Communication Methods, Lecture Outline
Week of Oct 13-17, 2014.
Please put away all electronic devices (laptops, smart phones, iPods, etc.) and take out something to write with and paper.
Attendance speech: "Your Name, a goal I have is to ______"Assignments & Announcements:
Tips From TAs:
Follow the Critique Sheets and checklists!
2. Reflection Papers: Include the Headings "The Speech I Prepared For" (bold & centered)
3. Reflection Papers: Number the pages
4. Reflection Papers: Proof Read (out loud) before printing
5. Reflection Folder: Label the outside cover: Your name, Speech Title, Date Delivered, Lab Section (Day & Time)
6. Reflection Folder: POCKET folder (not a clear acetate cover for papers)
7. Reflection Folder: Label each item "First Draft Mind Map" "Presentation Objectives" etc.
8. PRACTICE your presentation at least three times in front of others and get feedback.
9. If using computer or projector - try out ahead, and arrive to lab early and pre-load to minimize time needed futzing
10. If engaging the entire audience with a task - anticipate how much time it will take
LECTURE:The single most important thing to do in preparing to speak: Practice in front of others and get feedback!