Lecture Seven CALS 001 Foundations:
Communication Methods, Lecture Outline
Week of Oct 6-10, 2014.
Please put away all electronic devices (laptops, smart phones, iPods, etc.) and take out something to write with and paper.
Attendance speech: "Your Name, I have always wanted to ______"Assignments & Announcements:
Tips From TAs:
Lab critiques of fellow student presenters should be at
least two complete sentences: Positives, and suggestions for
2. Lab critiques should be have your signature.
3. Avoid first words "Ah", "So", "Alright", "Um".
4. Proof read reflection papers.
5. If you use PowerPoint, save files as ppt or pdf (not pptx). Don't read from slides - keep text to an absolute minimum - Images only is best.
6. The Objective must explain how the audience will be changed by your presentation.
7. Repeat any questions at the end so the audience can hear.
8. Include "Image Source: ..." on any images used.
9. End with "Thank You", not "That's about it".
10. Use creative hooks - here are some ideas.
11. PAUSE for effect.
12. Explain the REASON you chose this topic, and establish CREDIBILITY.
13. Use a PRESENTATION OUTLINE - big font, one sheet, outline. Do not use Note Cards in your hand!
14. Do not ask for questions at the end - that is the job of the Master of Ceremonies - Not the speaker!
15. Transitions should be clear: "Now you know about what apples to use, lets look at oven temperature..."
16. If you leave or enter the room, WAIT until speakers are finished.
17. When presenting, dress neat and conservative (avoid t-shirts, faded jeans, sweatshirts).
18. Restate must knows should be SPECIFIC, not CATEGORICAL.
19. Have a strong ending that is separate from the restate of must knows.
20. Make sure there are at least 2 GigaBytes free on your flash drive.
21. Anticipate what the questions might be, so you are ready with an answer.
22. Follow the Critique Sheets!
LECTURE:The single most important thing to do in preparing to speak: Practice in front of others and get feedback!