Lecture Nine CALS 001 Foundations: Communication Methods, Lecture Outline
Week of Oct 21-25, 2013.
A (90152) Mondays 1:55 – 2:45 pm, Kalkin 001
Lecture B (90153)
Wednesdays 1:55 – 2:45 pm, Kalkin 001
Lecture C (94275) Fridays 1:55 - 2:45 pm, Kalkin 001
Lecture D (94276) Tuesdays 2:30 - 3:45 pm, Kalkin 001
CALS 183 (also option for lecture):
Lecture A (90167) Tuesdays 1:00-2:15pm, Hills 122
Lecture B (91633) Thursdays 1:00-2:15pm, Hills 122
Please put away all
electronic devices (laptops, smart phones, iPods, etc.) and take
out something to write with and paper.
Attendance speech: "Your Name, My most frightening experience was _______"Assignments & Announcements:
- Practice your Persuasive presentation.
- Bring Flash Drive (2+ Gigs) to lab when you present (persuasive / choice).
Syllabus speaking schedule for when you are presenting and your lab role.
Outside Speech Critique
assignment. UVM lecture
calendar site. Due in THIS WEEK IN LAB! If late -10% the first week, -20% the next week, No credit - zero, after.
- Post to
a week (need at least 14 postings by the last day of classes).
- Visit with your
academic advisor twice this semester and have them sign the
Advisor Meeting Form.
- Join a club/sport or community organization - give your TAs evidence that you have joined.
- Mid Term Exam November 4-8: Two Weeks away - There will be questions on The Ghost Map summer read.
Tips From TAs:
- For persuasive presentations: Audience ACTION must be clear!
- Objective: "After my presentation you will do...."
- Flash Drives - 2+ GB free
- Proof Read your reflection papers
- Put Date of Presentation on front of folder
- Pause for effect
- Keep standing until after questions.
- No texting during lab
LECTURE:The single most important thing to do in
preparing to speak: Practice in front of others and get
Prepare for the Formal Introduction in Lecture. See Syllabus,
Number 1. We will begin NEXT WEEK - be ready, Dr. L will call
students at random. If called and student is unexcused absent:
Choice Presentation, See Syllabus, Number 10.
Anysis of the Martin Luther King speech: Nancy Duarte
Amy Cuddy's Body Language speech