Lecture Seven CALS 001 Foundations: Communication Methods, Lecture Outline
Week of Oct 7-11, 2013.
A (90152) Mondays 1:55 – 2:45 pm, Kalkin 001
Lecture B (90153)
Wednesdays 1:55 – 2:45 pm, Kalkin 001
Lecture C (94275) Fridays 1:55 - 2:45 pm, Kalkin 001
Lecture D (94276) Tuesdays 2:30 - 3:45 pm, Kalkin 001 Go to Any Lecture, Stick to your lab!
CALS 183 (also option for lecture):
Lecture A (90167) Tuesdays 1:00-2:15pm, Hills 122
Lecture B (91633) Thursdays 1:00-2:15pm, Hills 122
Please put away all
electronic devices (laptops, smart phones, iPods, etc.) and take
out something to write with and paper.
Attendance speech: "Your Name, I have always wanted to ______"Assignments & Announcements:
- Practice your Group Critical Analysis presentation (no reflection folder/paper needed).
- Bring Flash Drive (2+ Gigs) to lab when you present (informational / persuasive / choice).
Syllabus speaking schedule for when you are presenting and your lab role.
Outside Speech Critique
assignment. UVM lecture
calendar site. Due in TWO WEEKS: week of Oct 21!
- Post to
a week (need at least 14 postings by the last day of classes).
- Visit with your
academic advisor twice this semester and have them sign the
Advisor Meeting Form.
- Join a club/sport or community organization - give your TAs evidence that you have joined.
Tips From TAs:
- Follow the Critique Sheets!
- Work on more creative hooks (show of hands is getting old) and Powerful Endings.
- Objectives should clearly say how the audience will be changed: "After my presentation you will..."
- Any statistics or facts not common knowledge should be sourced "according to ..."
- Repeat any questions at the end of your presentation so everyone can hear.
- Source images below the image itself.
- Double space reflection papers.
- Any video clips should be short - 15 seconds perfect, no more than 30 seconds.
- Attendance policy - only death in family, extreme sickness or accident, with Dean's office approval are excused and made up.
LECTURE:The single most important thing to do in
preparing to speak: Practice in front of others and get
-Objective - action
View & Critique: Wash Your Hands
Pink's Motivation TED Talk, How
to Tie Your Shoes, How
to use paper towels