Lecture Six CALS 001 Foundations: Communication Methods, Lecture Outline
Week of Sept 30 - Oct 4, 2013.
A (90152) Mondays 1:55 – 2:45 pm, Kalkin 001
Lecture B (90153)
Wednesdays 1:55 – 2:45 pm, Kalkin 001
Lecture C (94275) Fridays 1:55 - 2:45 pm, Kalkin 001
Lecture D (94276) Tuesdays 2:30 - 3:45 pm, Kalkin 001 Go to Any Lecture, Stick to your lab!
CALS 183 (also option for lecture):
Lecture A (90167) Tuesdays 1:00-2:15pm, Hills 122
Lecture B (91633) Thursdays 1:00-2:15pm, Hills 122
Please put away all
electronic devices (laptops, smart phones, iPods, etc.) and take
out something to write with and paper.
Present Yourself Quiz Return. Individual Group AverageAssignments & Announcements:
- Contact your group members for the Group Critical Analysis presentation and practice!.
- Bring Flash Drive (2+ Gigs) to lab when you present (informational / persuasive / choice).
Syllabus speaking schedule for when you are presenting and your lab role.
Outside Speech Critique
assignment. UVM lecture
calendar site. Due week of Oct 21!
- Post to
a week (need at least 14 postings by the last day of classes).
- Visit with your
academic advisor twice this semester and have them sign the
Advisor Meeting Form.
- Join a club/sport or community organization - give your TAs evidence that you have joined.
Tips From TAs:
- Follow the Critique Sheets!
much say how the audience will be changed: "I'm going to talk to you
about rock climbing" is NOT an objective. "After my presentation you
will know the basics of rock climbing" is an objective.
- Restate must knows must be SPECIFIC.
- Have a STRONG ENDING separate from the restate must knows.
- PAUSE FOR EFFECT!
- DRESS - conservative & more formal than usual.
- It is YOUR responsibility to set up the technology - not the TAs. Set up BEFORE lab starts.
- Lab Roles
- Everyone is expected to arrive early and stay the whole time - go to the bathroom before lab.
- Source any facts that are not common knowledge.
- Repeat questions asked at the end of your presentation.
LECTURE:The single most important thing to do in
preparing to speak: Practice in front of others and get
Group Critical Analysis Presentation Details: Symposium Format.
-Know the contact information for your group members
-Decide on a topic to find two ARTICLES on either sides of the issue
-Decide who in the group will do what
-Practice in front of others & get feedback
-Be ready next week
View: Raw Milk (beginning), Banning Harry Potter
The power of a personal story: Abigail Washburn's TED talk