Faculty - Ying Wai Lam
Ying Wai Lam, Research Asst. Professor/VGN Proteomics Director
- PhD (Biochemistry), The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1998-2001
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 2001-2005
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati, 2005-2011
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, University of Vermont, 2011-
- Director of the Vermont Genetics Network (VGN) Proteomics Facility, University of Vermont, 2011-
Area of expertise
proteomics, biological mass spectrometry
Email: Yiing Wai Lam
Office Hours: by appointment
Marsh Life Science Building, Rm 337
Phone: (802) 656-4709
UVM/VGN proteomics facility is supported by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences of NIH [IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research (INBRE); Vermont Genetics Network @ The University of Vermont (vgn.uvm.edu)]. The goals of our facility are to provide expertise and the latest proteomics technology to researchers at different institutes in Vermont and to establish an educational environment for sharing experience and knowledge in proteomics. An array of mass spectrometry-based techniques is available to investigators for performing proteomics experiments, ranging from routine protein identification, post-translational modification (PTM) characterization to large-scale quantitative proteomics (global profiling of protein expression and PTMs) with stable isotopes. We also work with the mass spec people in the department of chemistry on problems at the interface of biology and chemistry.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you think your research might benefit from our expertise. We love to solve challenging problems, and will work hard to develop the best strategies to answer your proteomics questions! Please check out our UVM/VGN proteomics website for more information!
Proteomics Facility Brochure
- Lam, H.M., Babu, C.V., Wang, J., Yuan, Y, Lam, Y.W., Ho, S.M. and Leung, Y.K. (2011) Phosphorylation of Human Estrogen Receptor-beta at Serine 105 Inhibits Cancer Cell Migration and Invasion. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, In press (Epub 2012 Feb 19).
- Syed, K., Alexey, P., Lam, Y.W. and Yadav, J.S. (2011) A Fungal P450 (CYP5136A3) Capable of Oxidizing Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons and Endocrine Disrupting Alkylphenols: Role of TRP129 and Leu324. PLoS One 6:e28286. PMCID: PMC3229547
- Syed, K., Doddapaneni, H., Subramanian, V., Lam, Y.W. and Yadav, J. Genome-to-function Characterization of P450 Monooxygenases Oxidizing Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Model White Rot Fungus. (2010) Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 399: 492-7
- Lam, Y.W., Yuan, Y., Isaac, J., Babu, C.V., Meller, J. and Ho, S.M. (2010) Comprehensive Identification and Modified-site Mapping of S-Nitrosylated Targets in Prostate Epithelial Cells. PLoS One, 5, e9075. PMCID: PMC2816712
- Xiong, S.D., Liu,, X.-H., Yin, H.,F., Kirschenbaum,, A., Yao, S., Narla, G., DiFeo, A., Yu, K., Wu,, J.B., Yuan, Y., Ho, S.-M., Lam, Y.W. and. Levine, A.C (2009) Ribosome-inactivating Proteins Isolated from Dietary Bitter Melon Induce Apoptosis in Premalignant and Malignant Prostate Cancer Cells by Inhibition of Histone Deacetylase-1 Activity and Induction of PTEN. International Journal of Cancer, 125: 774-82.
- Lam, Y.W., Tam, N.N.C., Green, K.M., Evans, J.E., Zhang, X. and Ho, S.M. (2008) Differential Proteome in the Aging Noble Rat Ventral Prostate. Proteomics, 8, 2750-2763.
- Kim, J., Sun, P., Lam, Y.W., Troncoso, P., Sabichi, A.L., Babaian, R.J., Pisters, L.L., Pettaway, C.A., Wood, C.G., Lippman, S.M., McDonnell, T.J., Lieberman, R., Logothetis., C. and Ho, S.M. (2005) Changes in Serum Proteomic Patterns by Presurgical Alpha-Tocopherol and L-Selenomethionine Supplementation in Prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers Prevention, 14, 1697-702.
- Lam, Y.W., Mobley, J.A., Evans, J.E. and Ho, S.M. (2005) Mass Profiling-Directed Identification of a Stage-Specific Serologic Protein Biomarker of Advanced Prostate Cancer. Proteomics, 5, 2927-2938.
- Mobley, J.A., Lam, Y.W., Lau, K.M., Pais, V.M., L’Esperance, J.O., Steadman, B., Burgos Fuster, L.M., Blute, R.D., Taplin, M.E. and Ho, S.M. (2004) Monitoring the Serological Proteome: The Latest Modality in Prostate Cancer Detection. Journal of Urology, 172, 331-7.
- Mobley, J.A., Leav, I., Zielie, P., Wotkowitz, C., Evans, J., Lam, Y.W, L'Esperance, B.S., Jiang, Z. and Ho, S.M. (2003) Branched Fatty Acids in Dairy and Beef Products Markedly Enhance Alpha-Methylacyl-CoA Racemase Expression in Prostate Cancer Cells in vitro. Cancer Epidemiology, & Biomarkers Prevention, 12, 775-83.
- Ng, T.B., Lam, Y.W. and Woo, N.Y. (2003) The Immunostimulatory Activity and Stability of Grass Carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus) Roe Lectin. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathoogy, 94, 105-12.
- Ng, T.B. and Lam, Y.W. (2003) Calcaelin, a New Protein with Translation-Inhibiting, Antiproliferative and Antimitogenic Activities from the Mosaic Puffball Mushroom Calvatia caelata. Planta Medica, 69, 212-217.
- Lam, Y.W. and Ng, T.B. (2002) Purification and Characterization of a Rhamnose-Binding Lectin from Grass Carp Ovary. Protein Expression and Purification, 26, 378-385.
- Ng, T.B. and Lam, Y.W. (2002) Solenin, a Novel Protein with Translation-Inhibiting Activity from the Traditional Chinese Medicinal Fish, the Sea Dragon Solenognathus hardwickii. International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, 34, 625-631.
- Ng, T.B. and Lam, Y.W. (2002) Isolation of a Novel Agglutinin with Complex Carbohydrate Binding Specificity from Fresh Fruiting Bodies of the Edible Mushroom Lyophyllum shimeiji. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 290, 563-568.
- Lam, Y.W., Ng, T.B. and Wang, H.X. (2001) Antiproliferative and Antimitogenic Activities in a Peptide from Puffball Mushroom Calvatia Caelata. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 289, 744-749.
- Lam, Y.W. and Ng, T.B. (2001) A Monomeric Mannose-Binding Lectin from Inner Shoots of the Edible Chive (Allium tuberosum). Journal of Protein Chemistry, 20, 361-366.
- Lam, Y.W., Wang, H.X. and Ng, T.B. (2000) A Robust Cysteine-Deficient Chitinase-like Antifungal Protein from Inner Shoots of the Edible Chive Allium tuberosum. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 279, 74-80.
: include() [function.include
]: Unable to access faculty_list.html in /fs/ab/users/b/i/biology/public_html/faculty/yinglam.php
on line 109
: include(faculty_list.html) [function.include
]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /fs/ab/users/b/i/biology/public_html/faculty/yinglam.php
on line 109
: include() [function.include
]: Failed opening 'faculty_list.html' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php:/usr/local/uvm-inc') in /fs/ab/users/b/i/biology/public_html/faculty/yinglam.php
on line 109