HISTORY: The Thompson collections are housed in Torrey Building along with the Pringle Herbarium(Botany Dept.). This collection was formerly referred to as the Perkins Zoological collection named after George H. Perkins, a teacher of science and former Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Zadock Thompson is the founder of the original collection in the early 19 th century. He graduated from UVM in 1823 and is noted for publishing the History of the State of Vermont (1833) and the History of the State of Vermont, Natural, Civil and Statistical (1842). His home was built on the west side of the campus green and was later moved to 466 S. Prospect St. when Waterman building was built in its place. This house now is known as the Thompson-Torrey House and is used by the university for the Employee Assistance Program.