Faculty - Ying Wai Lam
Ying Wai Lam, Director of the UVM/VGN Proteomics Facility, Research Assistant Professor
- PhD (Biochemistry), The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1998-2001
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 2001-2005
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati, 2005-2011
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, University of Vermont, 2011-
- Director of the Vermont Genetics Network (VGN) Proteomics Facility, University of Vermont, 2011-
Area of expertise
proteomics, biological mass spectrometry
Contact InformationEmail: Ying Wai Lam
Office Hours: by appointment
Marsh Life Science Building, Rm 337
Phone: (802) 656-4709
Website: UVM/VGN Proteomics
My research over the past ten years has focused on applying mass spectrometry-based strategies to address a diverse range of research questions at the interface of biochemistry, cell biology and analytical chemistry, especially those related to disease development. Particularly, I have applied conventional proteomic approaches, time-of-flight mass profiling, stable isotope tagging in conjunction with shotgun sequencing, and post-translational modified-site mapping techniques, to identify prostate cancer biomarkers, to elucidate the molecular mechanisms of aging and carcinogenesis, as well as to determine the impact of nitrosative stress-induced protein modifications (e.g. nitrosylation on cysteines) on signaling pathways. I am also interested in characterizing small molecules using liquid chromatography-high resolution accurate mass measurement (HR/AM).
UVM/VGN proteomics facility is supported by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences of NIH [IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research (INBRE); Vermont Genetics Network at The University of Vermont (VGN)]. The goals of our facility are to provide expertise and the latest proteomics technology to researchers at different institutions in Vermont and to establish an educational environment for sharing experience and knowledge in proteomics. An array of mass spectrometry-based techniques is available to investigators for performing proteomics experiments, ranging from routine protein identification, post-translational modification (PTM) characterization, to large-scale quantitative proteomics (global profiling of protein expression and PTMs) with stable isotopes.
The facility works directly with over 100 UVM faculty, staff/postdocs, and graduate students, providing guidance and support for their proteomics projects from initial experimental design, sample preparation, instrument operation, to data analysis and interpretation. We also assist investigators in initiating proteomics projects, manuscript preparation and grant submissions.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you think your research might benefit from our expertise. We love to solve challenging problems, and will work hard to develop the best strategies to answer your proteomics questions! Please check out our UVM/VGN proteomics website for more information!
- Krishnamurthy S, Deng B, del Rio R, Urban S, Boothroy J, Lam YW, Ward GE (2016) Not a simple tether: Binding of Toxoplasma gondii AMA1 to RON2 during invasion protects AMA1 from rhomboid-mediated cleavage and leads to dephosphorylation of its cytosolic tail. MBio, Accepted.
- Platz J, Bonenfant NR, Uhl FE, Coffey AL, McKnight T, Parsons C, Sokocevic D, Borg ZD, Lam YW, Deng B, Fields JG, DeSarno M, Loi R, Hoffman AM, Bianchi J, Dacken B, Petersen T, Wagner DE, Weiss DJ (2016) Comparative Decellularization and Recellularization of Wild-Type and Alpha 1,3 Galactosyltransferase Knockout Pig Lungs: A Model for Ex Vivo Xenogeneic Lung Bioengineering and Transplantation. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. Jul 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tacoma R, Fields J, Ebenstein DB, Lam YW, Greenwood SL (2016) Characterization of the bovine milk proteome in early-lactation Holstein and Jersey breeds of dairy cows. J Proteomics 130: 200-210. PMCID: 4859431
- Tacoma R, Fields J, Ebenstein DB, Lam YW, Greenwood SL (2016) Comparative proteomics dataset of skimmed milk samples from Holstein and Jersey dairy cattle. Data Brief 6: 843-846. PMCID: 4749939
- Smith KP, Fields JG, Voogt RD, Deng B, Lam YW, Mintz KP (2015) Alteration in abundance of specific membrane proteins of Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans is attributed to deletion of the inner membrane protein MorC. Proteomics 15:1859-67. PMCID: 4456248
- Smith KP, Fields JG, Voogt RD, Deng B, Lam YW, Mintz KP (2015) The cell envelope proteome of Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans. Mol Oral Microbiol 30:97-110
- Wagner DE, Bonenfant NR, Sokocevic D, DeSarno MJ, Borg ZD, Parsons CS, Brooks EM, Platz JJ, Khalpey ZI, Hoganson DM, Deng B, Lam YW, Oldinski RA, Ashikaga T, Weiss DJ (2014) Three-dimensional scaffolds of acellular human and porcine lungs for high throughput studies of lung disease and regeneration. Biomaterials 35: 2664-2679. PMID: 24411675
- Wagner DE, Bonenfant NR, Parsons CS, Sokocevic D, Brooks EM, Borg ZD, Lathrop MJ, Wallis JD, Daly AB, Lam YW, Deng B, DeSarno MJ, Ashikaga T, Loi R, Weiss DJ (2014) Comparative decellularization and recellularization of normal versus emphysematous human lungs. Biomaterials 35: 3281-3297. PMID: 24461327
- Hristova M, Veith C, Habibovic A, Lam YW, Deng B, Geiszt M, Janssen-Heininger YM, van der Vliet A (2014) Identification of DUOX1-dependent redox signaling through protein S-glutathionylation in airway epithelial cells. Redox Biol 2: 436-446. PMCID: 3949091
- Cherian S, Wai Lam Y, McDaniels I, Struziak M, Delay RJ (2014) Estradiol rapidly modulates odor responses in mouse vomeronasal sensory neurons. Neuroscience 269: 43-58. PMID: 24680884
- Syed K, Porollo A, Lam YW, Grimmett PE, Yadav JS (2013) CYP63A2, a catalytically versatile fungal P450 monooxygenase capable of oxidizing higher-molecular-weight polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, alkylphenols, and alkanes. Appl Environ Microbiol 79: 2692-2702. PMCID: 3623170
- Sokocevic D, Bonenfant NR, Wagner DE, Borg ZD, Lathrop MJ, Lam YW, Deng B, Desarno MJ, Ashikaga T, Loi R, Hoffman AM, Weiss DJ (2013) The effect of age and emphysematous and fibrotic injury on the re-cellularization of de-cellularized lungs. Biomaterials 34: 3256-3269.
- Purmessur D, Guterl CC, Cho SK, Cornejo MC, Lam YW, Ballif BA, Laudier JC, Iatridis JC (2013) Dynamic pressurization induces transition of notochordal cells to a mature phenotype while retaining production of important patterning ligands from development. Arthritis Res Ther 15: R122. PMCID: 3978427
- Bonenfant NR, Sokocevic D, Wagner DE, Borg ZD, Lathrop MJ, Lam YW, Deng B, Desarno MJ, Ashikaga T, Loi R, Weiss DJ (2013) The effects of storage and sterilization on de-cellularized and re-cellularized whole lung. Biomaterials 34: 3231-3245.
- Lam HM, Suresh Babu CV, Wang J, Yuan Y, Lam YW, Ho SM, Leung YK (2012) Phosphorylation of human estrogen receptor-beta at serine 105 inhibits breast cancer cell migration and invasion. Mol Cell Endocrinol 358: 27-35. PMCID: 3348253
- Isaac J, Tarapore P, Zhang X, Lam YW, Ho SM (2012) Site-specific S-nitrosylation of integrin alpha6 increases the extent of prostate cancer cell migration by enhancing integrin beta1 association and weakening adherence to laminin-1. Biochemistry 51: 9689-9697. PMCID: 3567210
- Syed K, Porollo A, Lam YW, Yadav JS (2011) A fungal P450 (CYP5136A3) capable of oxidizing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and endocrine disrupting alkylphenols: role of Trp(129) and Leu(324). PLoS One 6: e28286. PMCID: 3229547
- Syed K, Doddapaneni H, Subramanian V, Lam YW, Yadav JS (2010) Genome-to-function characterization of novel fungal P450 monooxygenases oxidizing polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs). Biochem Biophys Res Commun 399: 492-497. PMCID: 2943217
- Lam YW, Yuan Y, Isaac J, Babu CV, Meller J, Ho SM (2010) Comprehensive identification and modified-site mapping of S-nitrosylated targets in prostate epithelial cells. PLoS One 5: e9075. PMCID: 2816712
- Xiong SD, Yu K, Liu XH, Yin LH, Kirschenbaum A, Yao S, Narla G, DiFeo A, Wu JB, Yuan Y, Ho SM, Lam YW, Levine AC (2009) Ribosome-inactivating proteins isolated from dietary bitter melon induce apoptosis and inhibit histone deacetylase-1 selectively in premalignant and malignant prostate cancer cells. Int J Cancer 125: 774-782. PMCID: 3778503
- Lam YW, Tam NN, Evans JE, Green KM, Zhang X, Ho SM (2008) Differential proteomics in the aging Noble rat ventral prostate. Proteomics 8: 2750-2763.
- Lam YW, Mobley JA, Evans JE, Carmody JF, Ho SM (2005) Mass profiling-directed isolation and identification of a stage-specific serologic protein biomarker of advanced prostate cancer. Proteomics 5: 2927-2938.
- Kim J, Sun P, Lam YW, Troncoso P, Sabichi AL, Babaian RJ, Pisters LL, Pettaway CA, Wood CG, Lippman SM, McDonnell TJ, Lieberman R, Logothetis C, Ho SM (2005) Changes in serum proteomic patterns by presurgical alpha-tocopherol and L-selenomethionine supplementation in prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14: 1697-1702.
- Mobley JA, Lam YW, Lau KM, Pais VM, L'Esperance JO, Steadman B, Fuster LM, Blute RD, Taplin ME, Ho SM (2004) Monitoring the serological proteome: the latest modality in prostate cancer detection. J Urol 172: 331-337.
- Ng TB, Lam YW, Woo NY (2003) The immunostimulatory activity and stability of grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus) roe lectin. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 94: 105-112.
- Ng TB, Lam YW, Wang H (2003) Calcaelin, a new protein with translation-inhibiting, antiproliferative and antimitogenic activities from the mosaic puffball mushroom Calvatia caelata. Planta Med 69: 212-217.
- Mobley JA, Leav I, Zielie P, Wotkowitz C, Evans J, Lam YW, L'Esperance BS, Jiang Z, Ho SM (2003) Branched fatty acids in dairy and beef products markedly enhance alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase expression in prostate cancer cells in vitro. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 12: 775-783.
- Ng TB, Lam YW (2002) Isolation of a novel agglutinin with complex carbohydrate binding specificity from fresh fruiting bodies of the edible mushroom Lyophyllum shimeiji. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 290: 563-568.
- Ng TB, Lam YW (2002) Solenin, a novel protein with translation-inhibiting activity from the traditional Chinese medicinal fish, the sea dragon Solenognathus hardwickii. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 34: 625-631.
- Lam YW, Ng TB (2002) Purification and characterization of a rhamnose-binding lectin with immunoenhancing activity from grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus) ovaries. Protein Expr Purif 26: 378-385.
- Lam YW, Ng TB, Wang HX (2001) Antiproliferative and antimitogenic activities in a peptide from puffball mushroom Calvatia caelata. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 289: 744-749.
- Lam YW, Ng TB (2001) A monomeric mannose-binding lectin from inner shoots of the edible chive (Allium tuberosum). J Protein Chem 20: 361-366.
- Lam YW, Wang HX, Ng TB (2000) A robust cysteine-deficient chitinase-like antifungal protein from inner shoots of the edible chive Allium tuberosum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 279: 74-80.
- Sara Helms Cahan
- Ingi Agnarsson
- Bryan Ballif
- Alison K. Brody
- Alicia Ebert
- Charles J. Goodnight
- Nicholas J. Gotelli
- C. William Kilpatrick
- Brent L. Lockwood
- Brandon Ogbunu
- Melissa Pespeni
- Lori Stevens
- Judith Van Houten
- Jim O. Vigoreaux
Research Assistant Professors, Associates & Affiliates
- Joyce Bell
- Jan Decher
- Bin Deng
- Ken Helms
- Linden Higgins
- Wai Lam
- Janet Murray (e-mail)
- James Vincent (e-mail)
- Junji Yano (e-mail)
- Molly Coseno (e-mail)
- Michael Herrmann (e-mail)
- Laura May-Collado
- Andrew Mead (e-mail)
- John Mitchell (e-mail)
- Megan Valentine (e-mail)
- Sarah Wittman (e-mail)
- Amanda L. Yonan (e-mail)
- William Ardren (e-mail)
- Lionel Arnaud (e-mail)
- Eric Buel
- Patricia Dorn
- Jeffrey Freeman
- Karen Hinkle
- David Lucero
- Ellen Martinsen
- Maria Carlota Monroy
- Michael Romano
- Steve Shapiro
- Charles Woods (e-mail)