- About UVM
- Student Life
Department of Biology
Faculty - Ying Wai Lam
Ying Wai Lam, Director of the UVM/VGN Proteomics Facility, Research Assistant Professor
- PhD (Biochemistry), The Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1998-2001
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 2001-2005
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Environmental Health, University of Cincinnati, 2005-2011
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, University of Vermont, 2011-
- Director of the Vermont Genetics Network (VGN) Proteomics Facility, University of Vermont, 2011-
Area of expertise
proteomics, biological mass spectrometry
Contact InformationEmail: Ying Wai Lam
Office Hours: by appointment
Marsh Life Science Building, Rm 337
Phone: (802) 656-4709
Website: UVM/VGN Proteomics
My research over the past ten years has focused on applying mass spectrometry-based strategies to address a diverse range of research questions at the interface of biochemistry, cell biology and analytical chemistry, especially those related to disease development. Particularly, I have applied conventional proteomic approaches, time-of-flight mass profiling, stable isotope tagging in conjunction with shotgun sequencing, and post-translational modified-site mapping techniques, to identify prostate cancer biomarkers, to elucidate the molecular mechanisms of aging and carcinogenesis, as well as to determine the impact of nitrosative stress-induced protein modifications (e.g. nitrosylation on cysteines) on signaling pathways. I am also interested in characterizing small molecules using liquid chromatography-high resolution accurate mass measurement (HR/AM) mass spectrometry.
UVM/VGN proteomics facility is supported by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences of NIH [IDeA Networks of Biomedical Research (INBRE); Vermont Genetics Network at The University of Vermont (vgn.uvm.edu)]. The goals of our facility are to provide expertise and the latest proteomics technology to researchers at different institutions in Vermont and to establish an educational environment for sharing experience and knowledge in proteomics. An array of mass spectrometry-based techniques is available to investigators for performing proteomics experiments, ranging from routine protein identification, post-translational modification (PTM) characterization to large-scale quantitative proteomics (global profiling of protein expression and PTMs) with stable isotopes. We also work with the mass spec people in the department of chemistry on problems at the interface of biology and chemistry.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you think your research might benefit from our expertise. We love to solve challenging problems, and will work hard to develop the best strategies to answer your proteomics questions! Please check out our UVM/VGN proteomics website for more information!
- Syed, K., Porollo, A., Lam, Y.W., Grimmett, P. and Yadav, J. (2013) A Catalytically Versatile Fungal P450 Monooxygenase (CYP63A2) Capable of Oxidizing Higher Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Alkylphenols and Alkanes. Applied and Environmental Microbiology (in press)
- Sokocevica, D., Bonenfant, N., Wagner, D.E., Borg, Z.D., Lathrop, M., Lam, Y.W., Deng, B., DeSarno, M., Ashikaga, T., Loid, R., Hoffman, A.M. and Weiss, D.J. (2013) The Effect of Age and Emphysematous and Fibrotic Injury on the Re-Cellularization of De-Cellularized Lungs. Biomaterials Feb 2 [Epub ahead of print]
- Bonenfant, N.R., Sokocevica, D., Wagner, D.E., Borg, Z.D., Lathrop, M., Lam, Y.W., Deng, B., DeSarno, M., Ashikaga, T., Loid, R. and Weiss, D.J. (2013) The Effects of Storage and Sterilization on De-Cellularized and Re-cellularized Whole Lung. Biomaterials Feb 1 [Epub ahead of print]
- Isaac, J., Tarapore, P., Zhang, X., Lam, Y.W. and Ho, S.M. (2012) Site-specific S-nitrosylation of Integrin α6 Increases Prostate Cancer Cell Migration by Increasing Integrin β1 Association and Reducing Adherence to Laminin-1. Biochemistry, 51, 9689-9697
- Lam, H.M., Babu, C.V., Wang, J., Yuan, Y, Lam, Y.W., Ho, S.M. and Leung, Y.K. (2012) Phosphorylation of Human Estrogen Receptor-beta at Serine 105 Inhibits Cancer Cell Migration and Invasion. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 358, 27-35. PMCID: PMC3348253.
- Syed, K., Porollo, A., Lam, Y.W. and Yadav, J.S. (2011) A Fungal P450 (CYP5136A3) Capable of Oxidizing Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons and Endocrine Disrupting Alkylphenols: Role of TRP129 and Leu324. PLoS One 6:e28286. PMCID: PMC3229547
- Syed, K., Doddapaneni, H., Subramanian, V., Lam, Y.W. and Yadav, J. (2010) Genome-to-function Characterization of P450 Monooxygenases Oxidizing Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs) in Model White Rot Fungus. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 399: 492-7.
- Lam, Y.W., Yuan, Y., Isaac, J., Babu, C.V., Meller, J. and Ho, S.M. (2010) Comprehensive Identification and Modified-site Mapping of S-Nitrosylated Targets in Prostate Epithelial Cells. PLoS One, 5, e9075. PMCID: PMC2816712
- Xiong, S.D., Liu,, X.-H., Yin, H.,F., Kirschenbaum,, A., Yao, S., Narla, G., DiFeo, A., Yu, K., Wu,, J.B., Yuan, Y., Ho, S.-M., Lam, Y.W. and. Levine, A.C (2009) Ribosome-inactivating Proteins Isolated from Dietary Bitter Melon Induce Apoptosis in Premalignant and Malignant Prostate Cancer Cells by Inhibition of Histone Deacetylase-1 Activity and Induction of PTEN. International Journal of Cancer, 125: 774-82.
- Lam, Y.W., Tam, N.N.C., Green, K.M., Evans, J.E., Zhang, X. and Ho, S.M. (2008) Differential Proteome in the Aging Noble Rat Ventral Prostate. Proteomics, 8, 2750-2763.
- Kim, J., Sun, P., Lam, Y.W., Troncoso, P., Sabichi, A.L., Babaian, R.J., Pisters, L.L., Pettaway, C.A., Wood, C.G., Lippman, S.M., McDonnell, T.J., Lieberman, R., Logothetis., C. and Ho, S.M. (2005) Changes in Serum Proteomic Patterns by Presurgical Alpha-Tocopherol and L-Selenomethionine Supplementation in Prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers Prevention, 14, 1697-702.
- Lam, Y.W., Mobley, J.A., Evans, J.E. and Ho, S.M. (2005) Mass Profiling-Directed Identification of a Stage-Specific Serologic Protein Biomarker of Advanced Prostate Cancer. Proteomics, 5, 2927-2938.
- Mobley, J.A., Lam, Y.W., Lau, K.M., Pais, V.M., L’Esperance, J.O., Steadman, B., Burgos Fuster, L.M., Blute, R.D., Taplin, M.E. and Ho, S.M. (2004) Monitoring the Serological Proteome: The Latest Modality in Prostate Cancer Detection. Journal of Urology, 172, 331-7.
- Mobley, J.A., Leav, I., Zielie, P., Wotkowitz, C., Evans, J., Lam, Y.W, L'Esperance, B.S., Jiang, Z. and Ho, S.M. (2003) Branched Fatty Acids in Dairy and Beef Products Markedly Enhance Alpha-Methylacyl-CoA Racemase Expression in Prostate Cancer Cells in vitro. Cancer Epidemiology, & Biomarkers Prevention, 12, 775-83.
- Ng, T.B., Lam, Y.W. and Woo, N.Y. (2003) The Immunostimulatory Activity and Stability of Grass Carp (Ctenopharyngodon idellus) Roe Lectin. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathoogy, 94, 105-12.
- Ng, T.B. and Lam, Y.W. (2003) Calcaelin, a New Protein with Translation-Inhibiting, Antiproliferative and Antimitogenic Activities from the Mosaic Puffball Mushroom Calvatia caelata. Planta Medica, 69, 212-217.
- Lam, Y.W. and Ng, T.B. (2002) Purification and Characterization of a Rhamnose-Binding Lectin from Grass Carp Ovary. Protein Expression and Purification, 26, 378-385.
- Ng, T.B. and Lam, Y.W. (2002) Solenin, a Novel Protein with Translation-Inhibiting Activity from the Traditional Chinese Medicinal Fish, the Sea Dragon Solenognathus hardwickii. International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, 34, 625-631.
- Ng, T.B. and Lam, Y.W. (2002) Isolation of a Novel Agglutinin with Complex Carbohydrate Binding Specificity from Fresh Fruiting Bodies of the Edible Mushroom Lyophyllum shimeiji. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 290, 563-568.
- Lam, Y.W., Ng, T.B. and Wang, H.X. (2001) Antiproliferative and Antimitogenic Activities in a Peptide from Puffball Mushroom Calvatia Caelata. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 289, 744-749.
- Lam, Y.W. and Ng, T.B. (2001) A Monomeric Mannose-Binding Lectin from Inner Shoots of the Edible Chive (Allium tuberosum). Journal of Protein Chemistry, 20, 361-366.
- Lam, Y.W., Wang, H.X. and Ng, T.B. (2000) A Robust Cysteine-Deficient Chitinase-like Antifungal Protein from Inner Shoots of the Edible Chive Allium tuberosum. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 279, 74-80.
Faculty Directory Links
- Jim O. Vigoreaux
- Ingi Agnarsson
- Bryan Ballif
- Alison K. Brody
- Eugene Delay
- Rona Delay
- Alicia Ebert
- Charles J. Goodnight
- Nicholas J. Gotelli
- Sara Helms Cahan
- C. William Kilpatrick
- Joseph J. Schall
- Lori Stevens
- Judith Van Houten
Research Assistant Professors, Associates & Affiliates
- Jan Decher
- Bin Deng
- Ken Helms
- Linden Higgins
- Wai Lam
- Janet Murray (e-mail)
- James Vincent (e-mail)
- Junji Yano (e-mail)
- William Ardren (e-mail)
- Joyce Bell
- Eric Buel
- William Bress (e-mail)
- Patricia Dorn
- Julie Dragon (e-mail)
- Michael Romano
- Steve Shapiro
- Charles Woods (e-mail)