Healthy Farms - Healthy Agriculture
General Farm Biosecurity Practices—
- Replace fly tape, if necessary.
- Be aware of hiding and denning places for rodents. Set baits or traps accordingly. Use caution if dogs access same area.
- Inspect and repair holes in buildings to prevent rodents from living there.
- Remove piles of boards, wood, or other junk.
- Check for rain and storm water damage.
- Identify and correct manure runoff problems.
- Remove standing water, which can be a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Prevent standing water on the ground near water systems in pastures.
- Check fences along farm and pasture perimeters; repair any damage. Use electric fence wherever possible, if appropriate.
- Make changes to bird detractors and fly tape or other control methods as needed.
- Replace bird netting where needed and change bird detractors so that birds do not ignore their presence.
Last modified August 23 2010 01:47 PM