This is a List of General Policies and Procedures for the Photography Labs and the equipment in the Art Department. If you have questions about policies or why they are in place please ask Dan Payn the Photography Lab Coordinator. He can be reached at email@example.com. Please note that while exceptions will occasionally be made when asked for specifically by instructors these are hard and fast rules and should be adhered to at all times.
414 Digital Lab
- This lab is for Photography class related classwork only. if you need to use a computer to do word-processing or graphic design work etc please find another lab on campus.
- This lab is only to be used by those currently enrolled in a photo class or who have express permission from an instructor that has confirmed that permission with Dan Payn
- The large format Epson 9900 is only to be used by those with express permission from an instructor it requires a specific set of users and these usernames and passwords will only be given out by instructors
- This lab is available 24 hours a day to those enrolled in a class with the exception of times when classes are being taught in the lab. These times are posted on this website in the scheduling calendar for your convenience.
- If you need to use the little brother laser jet printer to print a paper for your photo class you must provide your own paper as Dan and the Department do not provide it.
- Art Department Darkrooms are for the use of students currently enrolled in a class in the darkroom or those with express permission from an instructor only
- No Student can use the Darkrooms until they have completed the required online training which can be found at The Safety Website Training Section. required classes for all students are as follows Safety in the Art Studio and Laboratory Roles and Responsibilities. however please feel free to take as many courses as you like the more you know the safer you will be
- No Student can use the darkroom until they have been trained in the proper techniques in class by an instructor
- Long sleeves, full length pants, and close toed shoes should be worn at all times in the darkrooms and gloves and safety glasses should be worn at all times while handling chemisty.
- No eating or drinking is allowed in the darkrooms themselves only in the mounting area around the large table.
- No use of the fire escape area is allowed with the exception of as an emergency exit
- The Darkrooms are available for use only when a lab tech is present and a class is not in session this schedule is available on this website by going to the Darkroom Open Lab Schedule. The exception to this is the film developing area which is open 24 hours a day to those enrolled in a class. Advanced students may be given access to other areas by instructor
- The lighting studio can be used only by students currently enrolled in a photo class and who have express permission from an instructor
- The lighting studio may not be used by a student until they have been trained in its proper use either by there instructor or by an instructors request by Dan
- The lighting studio must be signed out prior to use. This can be done on this website on the scheduling calendar
- The maximum amount of time anyone can sign out the Lighting studio for is 6 hours at a time. This can be extended if no one else signs up for the time following your shoot.
- Studio equipment may not be removed from the studio portable lighting equipment is available for checkout in the Photo Cage
- Equipment may only be checked out by those currently enrolled in a Photography class or who have express permission from an Instructor
- All equipment returned late will be charged a $1 a day late fee and anyone who has not paid a current late fee will not be allowed to check out equipment
- To reserve equipment ahead of time either email Dan Payn at firstname.lastname@example.org or Reserve through our online Photo Cage Catalogue (Preffered) by going to Photo Cage Check Out anywhere on campus. Or by first connecting securely to the uvm network using Cisco AnyConnect (Free Download with your NetID) from a computer anywhere then going to Photo Cage Check Out
- The Student Checking out equipment is responsible for any Damage to the equipment above and beyond normal wear and tear as well as loss or theft and will be charged the replacement or repair cost.
Duration equipment may be checked Out:
- Tripods – 1 Week
- 35mm Camera – 1 Week
- Pinhole Cameras – 1 Month
- Horseman 4×5 Camera – 2 Days
- Large Format Tripod – 2 Days
- Pentax 6×7 – 2 Days
- Calumet Portable Strobe Lighting Kit – 5 Days
- Lowell Portable Hot Light Kit – 5 Days
- Lens Filters – 1 Week
- Olympus Digital Cameras – 1 Week
- Canon Digital Rebel – 3 Days