An independent study is intended for a student who has taken all the course offerings in a particular studio, art education, or art historical area and wants to pursue a deeper inquiry. It may also be intended for a student who has shown considerable promise and has a compelling project that cannot be undertaken in a classroom setting.
You must be a junior or senior, and have completed at least 6 hours of 100 level classes in your studio art, art history, or art education major
Please understand there is no guarantee you will be granted an independent study.
Planning for the project should be initiated in the semester before the course is taken. The contract must be reviewed and authorized prior to registration.
ARTH 198: Readings & Research: Art History
You must be a junior or senior, and have completed at least 6 hours of 100 level classes in art history.
ARTS 197: Readings & Research: Tutorial in Studio
You must be a junior or senior, and have completed at least 6 hours of 100 level classes in studio art.
ARTS 281: Advanced Independent Studies in Studio Art
1. Find a faculty sponsor: The independent study will be under the direct supervision of a full-time faculty member having expertise in the area of investigation and consequently the project will be done under supervision of a faculty member who is primarily responsible for the field of study in question.
2. Get an Art Department Independent Studies contract from the Art Office or download from the DepartmentÕs website.
3. Attach to the contract a detailed, typewritten description of your proposed study. This description should be at least 300 words (1 _ pages) long and should include the following:
- A statement of your objectives
- An indication of materials, sizes, and number of completed pieces
- An account of previous course work and other experience which give evidence to your preparation for the project
4. The student must present the contract, along with the statement outlined above, to the following for approval and signature:
- a. first to the UVM project sponsor
- b. then to the Department of Art & Art History Chairperson.
After obtaining the necessary signatures the student must return the signed contract and the project description to the Art Department Office.
5. Important note: failure to file the contract with the Art Office during the pre-enrollment period for the semester in which the project is to be completed may result in denial of permission to undertake the independent study.
6. The Student must meet with the faculty sponsor at least 7 times during the semester the to review the progress of the project and to discuss any changes in the original plan.
7. In cases where the expectations about the nature of the final product are altered during the course of the semester, to the satisfaction of both the student and the faculty sponsor, a modified contract must be submitted to the departmental office so that the new expectations will be on file at the time of the final critique.
8. A studio art independent study requires the jurying at the end of the semester by the project sponsor and two other faculty members. The student is responsible for choosing his/her jury and scheduling the critique.
9. The student must certify that this is the only independent study s/he is undertaking during this semester.