home

Department of Art & Art History

Gallery Show > Student Show > Against the Wall – work by Thomas Douglas

Against the Wall – work by Thomas Douglas

Exhibit in the Francis Colburn Gallery January 26th-30th

Against the Wall

Opening Wednesday, January 28th at 5:30

The featured artist Tom Douglas is a native of Vermont who currently lives in Jericho with his wife Colleen and three daughters Hailey, Cami and Clara.  Before attending classes at the University of Vermont, Tom worked for a number of years in the maritime industry and it is this experience that has influenced much of his work.   Tom has also worked for the scene shop in the Theater Department here at UVM assisting in set construction for many plays including Rumors, Hair, and Cabaret.  He has also been a teaching assistant for such UVM Art classes as Drawing and Welding.  “I enjoy art and what I do, not just paint but sculpture as well.  Creating something new is very exciting for me.”  In 2005 Tom submitted a piece titled “STRICT and EASYGOING” for the Helen Day Art Center outdoor sculpture show, EXPOSED.  “I just thought the community needed a very large pair of steel red high heeled shoes.”  This piece now resides at the Well Heeled shoe shop on the Mountain Road in Stowe.  The paintings displayed here are a study of line and light.  “I bring into my paintings images and forms that I have come across in the past, such as electrical and structural components, lighting, pipework, bits of glass, and the nuts and bolts that we would otherwise never take notice of.  Observation and manipulation of these objects are the focus of my work.”  “I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for supporting me and my work, including my family, my professors and the endless list of students who have made my experience at UVM one I will always look back on as an important chapter of my Life.  The AGAINST THE WALL show is an exciting opportunity for me and I hope you enjoy my work.”

This entry was posted in Gallery Show, Student Show. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.
Contact UVM © 2014 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131