Art History Major Requirements
Need more information?
Department of Art and Art History
72 University Place
Burlington, VT 05405
Phone: (802) 656-2014
Fax: (802) 656-2064
The Department of Art and Art History offers two paths for the study of Art History. The first is a major in Art History which leads to a Bachelor of Arts Degree. The second is to minor in Art History in conjunction with a separate major.
In order to major in Art History 30 credits of art history courses must be taken from the following courses:
- Six credits from ARTH 005, 006 and 008
- Twelve credits to include three credits from four of the following five categories (courses numbered ARTH 196 in these categories also qualify): Ancient and Medieval - (ARTH 146, 148, 149, 155); Early Modern European - (ARTH 158, 161, 162, 163 164, 165); Modern and American - (ARTH 170, 172, 174, 177, 180); Asian - (ARTH 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 192); Other Non-Western Traditions, New Approaches to Art History, and Contemporary Art - (ARTH 140, 178, 179, 189, 199).
- Twelve additional art history credits, to include at least one course (three credits) ARTH 282 or higher to be taken during the junior or senior year, preferably during the senior year.
- Six credits of Studio Art
- 3 credits of ARTH 191 may be used to meet major requirements, ARTH 194 does not meet major requirements, 3 credits of ARTH 198 may be used to meet major requirements. Note: French or German is strongly recommended for students considering eventual graduate work in Art History.
Last modified June 19 2017 11:24 AM