Communication Methods Lecture Eight Outline, Tuesday 11 March, Thursday 13 March
Lecture A (CRN 12028) Tuesdays
2:30-3:45pm Flemming 101
Lecture B (CRN 91633) Thursdays
2:30-3:45pm Given E 131 (Carpenter Auditorium)
Please put away all electronic devices (lap tops, smart phones, iPods,
iPads etc.) and take out something to write with and paper.
Attendance Speech: (30 seconds or less, Your Name, tell us something about one of your siblings or cousins).Assignments
- Contact your group members for the Group Critical Analysis presentation and Practice.
- Bring Flash
Drive (2+ Gigs) to lab when you present.
Syllabus speaking schedule for when you are presenting and your
Speech Critique assignment. Due the week this week in lab!
- Starting next week in lecture: Formal Introductions (Assignment #1 in Syllabus)
Tips From TAs:
- If presenting, arrive at least 15 minutes ahead to get set up.
using technology, try out the computer/projector/presentation at least
two days before. Don't expect a lot of time to set up on
presentation day. Use Syllabus link to Room Schedule.
using technology, have at least two independent ways to get at your
presentation (ex. email attachment, Zoo drive, Flash Drive, google
most important thing to do in preparing to speak: Practice in front of others and get feedback!
Group Critical Analysis Presentation Details: Symposium Format.
-Know the contact information for your group members
-Decide on a topic and find two ARTICLES on either sides of the issue
-Decide who in the group will do what
Persuasive presentation - how it is different from informational. Checklist.
-Objective - action
Persuasive Presentation suggested order of
things to do:
1. Mind Map first draft
2. Research your topic
3. Detailed outline
4. Mind Map second draft
5. Presentation outline (big font, one sheet)
6. Practice at least three times in front of friends and get
7. GIVE YOUR PRESENTATION
8. View your presentation, read peer evaluations, reflect
9. Write your reflection paper
10. Assemble your reflection folder:
Folder Checklist folder is due at the beginning of lab the following week.
Here's an example of the
Contents of the Reflection Folder.
View: Wash Your Hands, Dan
Pink's Motivation TED Talk, How
to Tie Your Shoes, How
to use paper towels