Communication Methods Lecture Seven Outline, Tuesday February 25, Thursday February 27
Lecture A (CRN 12028) Tuesdays
2:30-3:45pm Flemming 101
Lecture B (CRN 91633) Thursdays
2:30-3:45pm Given E 131 (Carpenter Auditorium)
Please put away all electronic devices (lap tops, smart phones, iPods,
iPads etc.) and take out something to write with and paper.
Attendance Speech: (30 seconds or less, Your Name, tell us something about one of your parents or grand parents).Assignments
- Contact your group members for the Group Critical Analysis presentation and Practice.
- Bring Flash
Drive (2+ Gigs) to lab when you present.
Syllabus speaking schedule for when you are reading and your
Speech Critique assignment. Due the week after spring break! UVM lecture calendar
- Next Week, no lectures or labs: Spring Break (Mon March 3 - Fri March 7)
Tips From TAs:
- No Hats
- Make Hooks more creative.
- Pause for effect
- Repeat any questions at the end.
- Be enthusiastic & passionate!
- Have a strong ending (separate from the restate must knows)
- Follow the critique sheets!
- Have clear transitions from one section of your presentation to the next
- Cite your facts - anything not common knowledge, tell us where the info comes from
- The objective should clearly say how the audience will be changed: "After my presentation you will ....."
- No chit-chat during a presentation - you will lose 1% of course grade each time!
- Have a clear introduction and a clear conclusion
- Have a backup plan in case the technology fails
- Face the audience - and have good eye contact with everyone.
most important thing to do in preparing to speak: Practice in front of others and get feedback!
Informational Presentation suggested order of
things to do:
1. Mind Map first draft
2. Research your topic
3. Detailed outline
4. Mind Map second draft
5. Presentation outline (big font, one sheet)
6. Practice at least three times in front of friends and get
7. GIVE YOUR PRESENTATION
8. View your presentation, read peer evaluations, reflect
9. Write your reflection paper
10. Assemble your reflection folder:
Folder Checklist folder is due at the beginning of lab the following week.
Here's an example of the
Contents of the Reflection Folder.
Group Critical Analysis Presentation Details: Symposium Format.
-Know the contact information for your group members
-Decide on a topic and find two ARTICLES on either sides of the issue
-Decide who in the group will do what
View: Raw Milk (beginning), Banning Harry Potter
Analysis of the Martin Luther King speech: Nancy Duarte