CALS 183 Communication Methods Lecture Outline,
Tuesday/Thursday, 20/22 September 2011, Kalkin 001 1:00-2:15pm
Please put away all
electronic devices (lap tops, cell phones, Blackberrys, I-Pods, etc.).
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS:
Assignments & Announcements:
- Practice your dramatic reading or
informational presentation in front of
others and get feedback.
- Get Flash Memory stick (2+ Gigs) and bring
to lab if you are presenting your informational
- Check out TED Talk "The Danger of the Single Story". Thanks to Izzy Cummings for sharing.
Syllabus speaking schedule for when you are reading/presenting and your lab role.
Outside Speech Critique
assignment. UVM lecture
- Class Make-Up Policy from the
syllabus: "If you miss a speaking assignment without
notifying your instructors before the class or if you miss a speaking
assignment because you weren’t prepared, you will earn a zero for that
assignment. Only legitimate prior-notification absences (death in the family,
serious illness, or accident) will be made up. This should be a rare
occurrence. In such circumstances, notify the CALS Deans office (Rose Laba, firstname.lastname@example.org,
656-0289 who will contact Prof. Leonard with an official excuse)."
Informational Presentation suggested order of
things to do:
1. Mind Map first draft
2. Research your topic
3. Mind Map second draft
4. Detailed outline
5. Presentation outline (big font, one sheet)
6. Practice at least three times in front of friends and get
7. GIVE YOUR PRESENTATION
8. View your presentation, read peer evaluations, reflect
9. Write your reflection paper
10. Assemble your reflection folder:
Folder Checklist folder is due at the beginning of lab the following week.
Here's an example of the
Contents of the Reflection Folder.
Quiz on Present Yourself is TODAY!"Eric Whitacre's TED Talk on the Virtual Choir"