Lecture Seven CALS 183 Foundations:
Communication Methods, Lecture Outline
Oct 19, 21, 2010.
Tuesdays 1:00-2:15pm, code 90238, Room: 427 Waterman Please put
away all electronic devices
(lap tops, cell phones, Blackberrys, I-Pods, etc.), take out pen and
paper to take notes.
Lecture B Thursdays
1:00-2:15pm, code 93410, Room: 427
Tips from TAs:
- Follow the rubric of the critique sheet carefully. You grade depends on it!
- Put your PRESENTATION OUTLINE (one page large font) in FRONT of you where you can see it easily.
- Use the Speaker's Aide to help you (lights? handouts? run document camera? etc.).
- Don't apologize if you make a mistake, just keep going.
- Restate must-knows: be very specific about what the audience should remember.
- Make Hooks obvious, and be creative (show of hands is getting old).
your reflection folder: If you used personal experience for most of
your information and credibility, you should explain in detail your
personal experience (how long, what certifications you have,
competition wins, all the places you have had experience, etc.).
- Pauses need to be obvious (2 seconds or more) for effect!
- Anything you say that is not common knowledge you should give a SOURCE.
- Make sure your have a clear PREVIEW and during your presentation transition clearly between the sections of your preview.
the Conclusion, give a clear restate-must-knows, then show/do something
memorable (for a powerful ending) and end with "Thank You". The
worst way to end is to say "That's about it..."
- Repeat any questions asked of you at the end of your presentation.
your Persuasive Presentation.
- Bring your
Flash Memory stick (2+
Gigs, with 500 MB free) and bring to lab if you are presenting.
- Check Syllabus
speaking schedule for when you are reading/presenting and your lab role.
- Your completed Reflection Folder is due at the beginning of lab the week after your present your Persuasive Presentation.
Speech Critique assignment is due THIS week (Oct 18-22) in lab! UVM
Formal (lecture) Introduction. These continue next
week. Names will be called at random. If you are
Persuasive Presentation Handout & Example: Ronald Reagan Jr. & Moon Landing!