University of Vermont

What Happens if I Report Relationship Violence?

You are encouraged to report relationship violence to appropriate police authorities, which may be UVM Police Services (if you live on campus) or another police agency in your place of residence.  The Campus Victim’s Advocate can help you figure out which police agency to call.  In appropriate cases, she can also assist you with getting a relief from abuse order, which can help to ensure that the abuser cannot have any contact with you. You can also access counseling through UVM Counseling & Psychiatric Services

For more information about reporting relationship violence and other sexual misconduct at UVM, click here.

No matter what you decide to do, the most important thing is that you are safe.  Even if you don’t want to make a complaint to police, it is really important that you get support, and develop a safety plan.  The Campus Victim’s Advocate or Counseling and Psychiatry Services can help you with these things regardless of whether you made a complaint to police.

Last modified February 19 2014 02:20 PM