Examples of Consent
Before you engage in sexual activity, think ahead of time about various ways that you can ask for consent and or/ communicate about what you want and don’t want to do:
- Do you like it when I . . . ?
- If you’re into it, I could . . .
- Do you want to keep going?
- I’d like to talk about it before we . . .
- If I change my mind, we’ll stop.
It is the responsibility of any person who wants to engage in sexual activity to make sure they have consent.
- Silence or a lack of resistance is NOT consent.
- The existence of a dating or prior sexual relationship is not sufficient to assume consent.
- Just because someone agrees to one type of sexual activity, it doesn’t mean s/he okay with others. You must make sure that consent exists with each new step or activity. If your partner consents to kissing and taking off clothes, it doesn’t mean that s/he is consenting to having sex.
Last modified February 19 2014 03:29 PM