Body Image and Eating Disorder Information on the Web
Please contact a HOPE Team member if you have any questions related to body image or problem eating. The following websites include a lot of useful information. Check them out.
- Body Positive looks at ways we can feel good in the bodies we have. Remember your body hears everything you think.
- Miror Mirror: A self-image/body awareness program. "For all those who have looked in the mirror and not liked what they've seen."
- Body Image Betrayal and Related Issues: A voice in the darkness.
- Adios Barbie: A body image site for every body. No matter what your size or background, we hope to inspire you to love your body through thick and thin!
- Men's Body Image: "Mirror Image" A six-part series by Alicia Potter for the Learning Network. Once, women worried about their figures while men scarfed down pizza and beer with abandon. Then came Soloflex ads, male anorexia, and...plastic calves?
- The Century Project: A series of nude photographs by Frank Cordelle accompanied by highly personal and moving statements by women whose lives span 100 years. The words and pictures combine to form a powerful statement about body image, society's portrayal of women in the media, sexuality, pornography, and women's health issues.
- About-Face: Promotes positive self-esteem in girls, and women of all ages, sizes, races and backgrounds through a spirited approach to media education, outreach, and activism.
- National Eating Disorders Association: NEDA is a non-profit organization devoted to the awareness and prevention of eating disorders through educational programming, research, advocacy, treatment and outreach.
- Andrea's Voice: Andrea can no longer speak for herself, but her mother intends to make sure that her voice is still heard.
- The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders: A non-profit corporation that seeks to prevent and alleviate the problems of eating disorders, especially including anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder.
- Gurze Books: A small publishing company that specializes in eating disorders and body image publications and education. Extensive links to organizations, treatment facilities, and other eating disorder Web sites are available.
- Something Fishy is a comprehensive eating disorder Web site. It was started in 1995 by a recovered anorexic and her husband. You can find in depth information on specific issues. The site is useful to both the professional and the person with an eating disorder.
- Binge Eating Disorders: Most of us overeat from time to time, and many people often feel they've eaten more than they should have. Eating a lot of food does not always mean that a person has a binge eating disorder. General information and resources are available.
- National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance: A non-profit human rights organization that provides public education and advocacy. Educational materials and a newsletter are available.
- PBS Film: "Perfect Illusions - Eating Disorder and the Family": Four young women and their struggles with eating disorders and how their families were affected by it. View movie clips and access helpful information.
- PBS Film: "Dying To Be Thin": This film can be viewed online and it examines a disturbing increase in the prevalence of debilitating and sometimes life-threatening eating disorders, particularly anorexia and bulimia.
Last modified September 13 2012 08:23 AM