Temporary, Limited, Mobility Issues

It can be difficult to get around campus with a broken leg, a twisted ankle, or a painful back injury. There are several resources that can make it a little easier.

Getting Around Campus:

The UVM Campus Area Transportation System is handicapped accessible. Many people with a temporary mobility condition often think that getting a handicapped parking permit is most helpful. In reality, the bus system is usually faster and can get people closer to the building or location they are trying to access. Bus drivers are friendly and willing to help, so just ask!

The role of Student Health Services is to understand the the student's health condition and to make a recommendation to UVM Transportation and Parking Services regarding a temporary parking permit. To request a temporary parking permit based on a documented medical condition, the student is required to submit a temporary parking permit request form. Part 1 of the form is to be completed by the student and Part 2 is to be completed by the medical provider.

Living & Studying On Campus:

For needs related to on-campus housing, contact Residential Life at (808) 656-3434 or ResLife@uvm.edu. For needs related to dining on campus, contact University Dining Services at (808) 656-4664. For needs related to your academic work, contact your professors and/or your college or school's Dean's office.

If a student is having other difficulties and/or just can't seem to figure it all out, there are two individuals on campus who may be able to help:


Student Health does not have a wheelchair available for general use. These medical supply stores offer rentals:

  • Keene Medical: (802) 863-2114
  • The Medical Store: (802) 864-0908
  • Yankee Medical: (802) 863-4591 (Toll free: 1-800-698-4591)

Last modified September 19 2013 01:52 PM

Contact UVM © 2014 The University of Vermont - Burlington, VT 05405 - (802) 656-3131