The Allergy Clinic serves the needs of UVM students requiring ongoing allergy desensitization injections. We do not perform allergy skin tests, nor prescribe nor initiate allergy shots. Students who have already been tested and are in the process of receiving allergy injections may continue that process while here at UVM through Allergy Clinic at Student Health Services with the appropriate support of your treating allergist. We follow the guidelines endorsed by the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.
Process to become a patient with UVM Allergy Clinic:
- Have home allergist’s office fax complete orders, outlined below to:
FAX: (802) 656-8178, Attention Allergy Clinic.
- Please send this checklist to your allergist’s office to ensure orders sent fulfill UVM SHS requirements to receive injections.
- Orders must include:
- Clear contact information for home allergist office, including specific location, phone and fax numbers if multiple offices.
- Legible allergy regime from your allergist with clearly defined orders.
- Protocol when/if patient is late receiving allergy injection.
- Protocol for local reaction.
- Allergy serum vial(s) must have your name, name of antigen, expiration date and dilution.
UVM Student Health Center – Allergy Clinic
425 Pearl Street, Burlington VT 05401
Allergy Appointments – What to Expect:
Your initial visit:
- 40 minutes in length.
- Nurse will review your history, orders, and health status in detail.
- Depending on the complexity of your history and orders you may or may not receive injections during your intake appointment.
- 20 minutes in length.
- You will complete a brief questionnaire about your current health, and any pre-medications required. You can check in and fill out this questionnaire at one of the kiosks in the Student Health Services waiting room.
- Health status, appointment pre-medication, and orders are reviewed. Your injections will be given if everything is appropriate.
- You are required to wait in Student Health for 30 minutes after receiving the injection. Please take this extra time into consideration when scheduling your appointment!
- After 30 minutes, the nurse will evaluate you for any reaction to the injection.
Trained clinical staff, including a physician, are always on site to manage any emergency reaction to your allergy shot.
For more information about the Allergy Clinic, please contact Student Health Services at (802) 656-3350.
Last modified August 25 2016 06:28 PM