Why Visit the Writing Center?
Have a question about a paper you're writing? Need a fresh perspective? Want to brainstorm ideas with another writer? At the UVM Writing Center, you can work with students from a variety of disciplines who are experienced writers and trained writing tutors.
Why Meet with a Tutor?
Although roommates and friends can be helpful sources of feedback, peer tutors provide experienced support in a comfortable, confidential, and distraction-free space.
Some writers come because they have a specific question or issue, but you don't need to have a problem to benefit from our services. Simply talking with a tutor can help you move forward with a writing project. Last year, over 800 students visited the Writing Center, for a variety of reasons:
- To make the writing process less stressful and solitary
- To create an excellent rather than merely good paper
- Because they heard from a friend that it was useful
- To get help with a particular type of writing. (Check Tutors by Expertise for a tutor who has experience with that genre or disciplines)
See what students say about the Writing Center.
Some of the areas in which the Writing Center provides assistance include:
- Understanding assignments
- Understanding the expectations for various types of writing
- Finding a topic
- Overcoming writer's block
- Organizing yourself to write
- Finding a writing process that works well for you
- Developing and clarifying ideas
- Discovering a focus or thesis
- Choosing the best way to organize or shape your material
- Creating a strong argument
- Revising your draft
- Understanding teacher comments
- Writing effective sentences
- Working on voice and/or tone
- Editing to create a polished final draft
Last modified March 21 2014 01:57 PM