Information for Faculty
- Encourage students who would benefit from meeting regularly with a tutor to request a writing partner
- Refer individual students to the Writing Center for additional support
- Arrange for an entire class to have Writing Center appointments, either individually or in groups
- Consult with the Writing Center director about a student writer or writing assignment (Susan.Dinitz@uvm.edu, 656.7963)
- Apply to have a peer writing mentor assigned to work with a class for majors
- Request a class workshop that involves students in a discussion of writing, and provides a fuller understanding of what happens at the Writing Center
- Nominate outstanding student writers to be writing tutors (see the Staff page for information)
What the Tutors Do
Writing Center tutors try to help students move forward with their writing projects and develop as writers. Tutors will not write or edit papers for students. In a one-hour session, the tutor and student will not be able to address all of the issues in a draft. A Writing Center session should enable a student to improve a paper, though it may still have problems and contain errors.
Encourage Students To Visit the Writing Center By:
- Including information about the Writing Center in your syllabus. See the sample text below.
- Arranging for a tutor to come to your class to talk about the Writing Center
- Reminding students about the Writing Center before papers are due
- Suggesting to students that they visit the Writing Center in your comments on their papers
Writing in the Disciplines Program
The Writing Center is located in the Writing in the Disciplines Program (WID), which supports faculty across campus as they teach with writing. WID works with individuals and departments and helps faculty introduce students to ways of writing and thinking in the disciplines.
Sample Text About the Writing Center for Your Syllabus
"For support and feedback at any point in the writing process, you can consult with a tutor at the Writing Center. To make an appointment, call 656.4075. For more information about the Writing Center, including a list of tutors and their areas of experise, see www.uvm.edu/writingcenter. You can request that the tutor send me a copy of the session lognote recording your visit."
Last modified November 30 2012 10:42 AM