Online resources for Web developers
- World Wide Web Consortium: The group setting the standards for HTML, CSS and more.
- A List Apart: Fantastic articles by leading web professionals directed at people who make websites.
- Web Developer extension: adds various web developer tools to a browser. The extension is available for Firefox and Chrome, and will run on any platform that these browsers support including Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
- Link Validator: This is a great tool for verifying the functionality of the links on your page. Because the Web is such a fluid environment, it is recommended that you verify links frequently.
- Higher Ed Analytics: A great refernce for understanding and leveraging web traffic data in the higher education sphere.
- The Web Accessibility Initiative from the W3C.
- WEBAIM (Web Accessibility in Mind): Great reference for building sites for people with disabilities.
- Section 508, a federal initiative.
- Hera, a free online assessment tool.
- Accessibility Resource Center from Adobe: guidelines for PDF and Flash document creation.
Audiences and Marketing Messages
- Let the Message Go Out: Crafting a compelling message in the admissions marketplace: This story, from UVM's online publication for faculty and staff, speaks to the importance of the Internet to UVM's prospective students, according to an outside firm's study.
- Tim Copeland's Blog on College & University Marketing and Enrollment Management
- Meet Content: Higher education content strategy
- CSS: Reference for cascading style sheet users.
- CSS3.info: Everything you need to know about CSS3.
- Jigsaw: Validate your CSS.
Graphics and Photos
- University Photography (Order UVM images for online use)
- Stock Photos
- Simulator for colorblind vision
- Flickr: Easy way to upload and share photos. Using Flickr, a photo gallery can easily be added to a website.
Programming (Scripts and Databases)
- PHP.net: For programmers of PHP.
- Mysql.com: For builders of mysql databases.
- jQuery: A fast, concise, library that simplifies how to traverse HTML documents, handle events, perform animations, and add AJAX.
Site Organization, Navigation and Usability
- Information Design Using Card Sorting
- Peter Morville's findability.org
- Jakob Nielsen's Usability Site
- Gerry McGovern: advice on customer-centric web development.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for Higher Education: a list of posts directly related to SEO for Higher Education.
- The Association for Social Media and Higher Education (ASMH): a community for sharing information, learning, tools and ideas by bringing social media practitioners, scholars and higher education officials together.
Writing for the Web
- Be Succinct! (Writing for the Web) (Jakob Nielsen)
- F-Shaped Pattern For Reading Web Content (Jakob Nielsen)
- Microcontent: How to Write Headlines, Page Titles, and Subject Lines (Jakob Nielsen)
Last modified June 14 2013 09:12 AM