Vermont Agency of Transportation Research Advisory Council (RAC)
The VTrans RAC program is currently undergoing reorganization. If you require further information at this time please contact TRC Associate Director Glenn McRae (email@example.com).
2014 RAC Process
(not active – posted for informational puposes only)
Every other year, VTrans solicits research ideas in four (4) prioritized focus areas:
- Engineering Innovations
- Resource Management
Research ideas from UVM professors will be accepted; however, all proposals require an Agency sponsor. Respondents are encouraged to engage in collaborations with public universities, industrial, and public agency partners. Qualifying activities include research, development, and technology transfer related to our highway infrastructure.
The 2014 Research Advisory Council (RAC) Program will begin with Focus Group Meetings scheduled for the following dates and times:
- Funding: January 08, 2014, 1:00 PM-2:30 PM, AOT – Davis Conf Rm N313
- Resource Management: January 22, 2014, 1:00 PM-2:30 PM, AOT – Davis Conf Rm N313
- Engineering Innovations: January 29, 2014, 1:00 PM-2:30 PM, AOT – Davis Conf Rm N313
- Safety Meeting: February 7, 2014, 10:00 AM-11:30 AM, AOT – Davis Conf Rm N413
The next step in the process is for Principal Investigators to submit a Letter of Intent to Submit a Proposal. The Letter of Intent to Submit a Proposal should include a brief summary of the scope of work proposed, the timeline for the project, and the budget. An LOI template is available below. The Focus Group Meetings will yield a list of research priorities ranked by the VTrans Research Advisory Council (RAC). Principal Investigators are encouraged to use the ranked list of research priorities to develop their research ideas
VTrans will review the LOIs and select a few top ranking ideas to be developed into full proposals. Principal Investigators (PI) who submit full proposals will be asked to make a brief presentation at the Annual RAC Meeting as well. This meeting provides the PI with an opportunity to explain and promote their research proposals. If a PI is not available to attend, they should ask either their VTrans sponsor or another UVM affiliate to present on their behalf.
Please note that the VTrans Research Advisory Council Program has revised its process such that the focus group meetings and prioritization steps will only occur once every other year.
In addition to this webpage, the University of Vermont Transportation Research Center (TRC) sends out an email every year reminding TRC Faculty Associates of the RAC Schedule.
As per all agreements issued under Cooperative Agreement 0228 between the University of Vermont Transportation Research Center and the Vermont Agency of Transportation, all UVM routed budgets should allocate a minimum of 50.00% of the Research Incentive Funds to the Transportation Research Center.
2014 RAC Schedule
These dates are estimated. VTrans is currently undergoing a re-organization that will likely affect the due dates listed below.
- Focus Group Meetings – January 8th through February 7th
- Prioritization of Research Ideas – February 14th
- PI’s must communicate their intent to submit a proposal by June 20th
- VTrans Internal Review – June 20th through August 5th
- PIs will be contacted on August 5th and asked to submit a full proposal
- Final Deadline for Proposal Submissions – August 25th
- Annual RAC Meeting – Date TBD
- This meeting provides an opportunity for PIs to promote their research ideas.
- VTrans Executive Staff’s ratings are due – September 9th
- Rating results to RAC and Executive Staff members – September 12th
- New Projects to VTrans Audit for approval – October 24th
- Notice to Proceed Letters issued for November 3rd
Note: This schedule is subject to change by VTrans at any time. In the event of a change in schedule, an email will be forwarded to PIs registered on the TRC mailing list.