Basic safety rules for the scene shop and backstage
IN CASE OF EMERGENCY DIAL 114
Or USE EMERGENCY PHONES LOCATED THROUGHOUT BUILDING
- Approach those people who are working in the shop rationally and seriously as horseplay and "kidding around" often end in serious and painful injury.
- Do not distract anyone who is operating power equipment or tools!
- Keep aisles, exits, hallways, and work areas free for congestion. Also make sure floors, stairs, and work areas are free from hazards, which could cause slipping or tripping (especially sharp or pointed objects).
- Get first aid immediately for all injuries. Report to the supervisor ANY and ALL injuries, no matter how minor. An Incident Report form is for Students, Work-study, and Non-Affiliate and a First Report form is for UVM Employees and Temporary Employees is mandatory. Also, report to the supervisor any condition, which you feel is UNSAFE.
- Beware of doors and doorways. Do not stand in front of them or in them!
- When finished with a project, put all tools away. Never leave them lying on the floor.
- BE AWARE AND ALERT AT ALL TIMES!! SAFETY FIRST!!
- Wear adequate clothing and footwear whenever it is necessary to move through or spend time in the scene shop or backstage. NO sandals, DEFINITELY NO BARE FEET, tie back loose hair or loose clothing, and remove all excessive jewelry, ties, etc.
- Wear proper eye protection when appropriate. Wear approved hearing protectors when noise levels are excessive. Wear dust masks or respirators when exposed to harmful or noxious dust fumes or gasses,
- Wear gloves when handling materials with sharp edges or rough surfaces or when exposed in liquids that require hand protection.
- Remember, IF SOMETHING CAN HAPPEN, IT WILL! USE COMMON SENSE: BE PREPARED AND PROTECTED!!
Last modified July 26 2013 11:05 AM