This project involved the installation of a 32kW static electric grid-tied photovoltaic system at the site of University of Vermont’s Ellen A. Hardacre Equine Center in the Miller Research Center at 500 Spear Street. Vermont Solar Engineering (www.vtsolar.com) installed the CEF-funded PV system. The Equine Center 134-panel rooftop array covers most of the Equine Center south-facing roof, and includes Enphase microinverter technology, which enables real-time monitoring and analysis of power production for each individual solar panel, improving energy harvest and system reliability. A $55,740 grant secured by VSE from the Vermont Small Scale Renewable Energy Incentive program increased the scope of the project from the 20kW system originally proposed, while simultaneously reducing its cost by nearly $4000. A net-metered system, the power that is generated will be directed into the utility grid.
Based in Burlington, VSE has two decades of experience designing and installing renewable energy systems, including wind turbines, microhydro, solar electric, solar domestic heating and solar hot water systems. VSE worked with Clean Energy Fund interns through the design and installation process in Spring 2012, and in the documentation process of the installation in June and July 2012.
Proposed Energy Production: approximately 37,500 kwh annually
Original Clean Energy Fund Award: $86,339
Final Project Cost: $86,340
View Clean Energy Fund Projects at UVM in a larger map
Watch the real-time energy production of these panels via Enphase Energy's dashboard system:
- August 2, 2011: Request for Proposal released for Clean Energy Fund Ellen A. Hardacre Equine Center Photovoltaic Power System.
- August 10, 2011: Mandatory site visit conducted.
- August 24, 2011: Request for Proposals due. Three firms submitted proposals.
- September 15, 2011: Vermont Solar was awarded contract for project.
- June 4, 2012: Vermont Solar begins installation of solar panels on Equine Center roof.
- July 16, 2012: Installation completed.
- August 29, 2012: Ribbon cutting event for Ellen A. Hardacre solar photovoltaic (PV) system. Guest speakers include: Thomas Vogelmann (Dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences), Chuck Ross (VT State Secretary of Agriculture), Rebecca Pincus (CEF student committee member), and Josie Davis (Associate Dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences). Pamphlet for the event can be found here.
CEF In-Depth: Introduction to the Ellen A. Hardacre Equine Center Solar PV System Project (Vimeo)
Video of Ellen A. Hardacre Equine Center Solar PV System Opening Ceremony (Vimeo):
Timelapse video of the Ellen A. Hardacre Equine Center Solar PV System Installation (Vimeo):
Video from Across the Fence:
8/31/12 Solar panels on the barn roof by Tim Johnson, Burlington Free Press
8/30/12 New College Solar Array Aims to Educate Students and Farmers About Alternative Energy by Pat Bradley, WAMC, Northeast Public Radio
8/29/12 Solar panels go up at UVM farm by Steve Bottari, WCAX
8/29/12 134 Solar Panels Installed at UVM This Summer by Joe Gullo, Fox 44 News/ABC 22/WVNY
8/29/12 UVM students finance solar installation at horse farm, vermontbiz.com
8/29/12 UVM installs134 solar panels at its Spear Street farm, vtdigger.com
8/29/12 134 Solar Panels Installed at Spear Street Farm, Financed by Student Fund by Jeffrey Wakefield, University Communications