Staff Council Officer Elections 2018
The leadership positions of Staff Council President and Vice President are elected every two years during the month of May through a University-wide election. All non-represented UVM staff are invited to vote for these officers.*
To be eligible to run for either of these positions, you must be qualified to serve as a Regular member of the Staff Council whose record in Human Resources shows that you:
(a.) are a regular full-time or part-time employee at the University of Vermont, and not on probation at the time of election;
(b.) your job is part of the University’s Career/Pay System;
(c.) you are not employed in the Staff Council Office.
In addition, the President and Vice President shall have a minimum of six months of Staff Council experience within the previous six years. The President's experience must be as an elected representative.
Nominations for Staff Council President and Vice President are now open as of March 1, 2018.The current Staff Council Officers, Karmen Swim and Bethany Wolfe, have offered insight on some reasons to consider running:
· You’ll develop as a professional in lots of different ways! Specifically, past officers credit their service as having improved their public speaking, time management, leadership, writing skills and organizational skills. Serving as an officer also expands your knowledge of other staff members, units, and our institution in general.
· Your service will benefit your unit financially! If you are elected Staff Council President, the Staff Council Office pays 20% of your salary for the two years of your service. This allows you to spend that time on Council business, and also helps out your department. (However, note that your role will not always take 20% of your time every week – some weeks are quite busy while others are very light.)
· You’ll learn fascinating things! You will get an “insider’s view” of administrative issues of all kinds and you’ll learn new things all the time.
· You will build community and help take UVM in new directions! You’ll get to directly bring forth the issues and concerns of UVM staff in meetings with the President, HRDMA, and other UVM community stakeholders, and you’ll be a part of strategizing about how to resolve those issues. You can bring your passions to the role and develop new initiatives to improve the working lives of UVM staff members.
What characteristics make a good officer?
· You see the big picture.
· You’re willing to have tough conversations, when they’re called for.
· We hope that you will be a good listener, a collaborative team member, and have a passion for fairness.
If any of this sounds like you, please consider running for an Officer position. The Council has accomplished a great deal over the past two years under Karmen and Bethany’s excellent leadership, including new events like the Staff Women’s Forum, the building of initiatives to support newly-hired staff members, the continual improvement of the merit compensation process, and expanding partnerships with departments and leaders all over campus. But as always, there is much continued work to be done. You’ve got a chance to help steer and guide the Council as we continue working for the betterment of the staff at UVM and the entire UVM community.
The Nomination Form contains all the details of the duties and responsibilities of the President and Vice President. If you have questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Staff Council Office. The Staff Council Administrator is happy to sit down with you to talk through the expectations and time commitments involved with Council leadership and how the Office would support you during your service.
Please submit completed nomination forms to Staff Council Office (313 Waterman or via email) by April 6th, 2018.
Voting in the Staff Council Officer Election will be open May 2nd - May 7, 2018.
If you are eligible to vote in this election, you will receive an invitation to the online ballot on May 2, 2018.
If you'd like to learn more about the 2018 Nominees, plan to attend the Staff Council Meeting on May 1, 2018 from 12:05pm-1:30pm in Waterman's Memorial Lounge - the candidates will speak briefly about their vision for Staff Council and will be available for your questions.
*Although the Staff Council serves as the voice and advocate for all staff, it does not have the same function as the Collective Bargaining Units to which some members of the UVM staff belong. Those staff who belong to UE Local 267are not permitted to participate in Staff Council at the request of their union and will not take part in any elections.
Last modified March 01 2018 02:02 PM