Need more information? The UVM Catalogue is the official source for information and requirements for the B.A. in Sociology. Visit the Catalogue.
Please note: The Major requirements changed in Fall 2011, and the minor requirements changed in Fall 2012.
Current Major: For students who enrolled at UVM in Fall, 2011 or later, 34 credits consisting of:
- Soc 001
- Stat 051 (or higher)
- Soc 100 (a 4 credit course)
- Soc 101
- Nine additional credits at the 100-level
- Nine additional credits at the 200-level
- Three additional credits at any level
Current Minor: 18 credits in sociology consisting of: Soc 001, Soc 90; Nine additional credits at the 100-level; Three additional credits at any level. [Click here to download a printable pdf form]
Things about requirements to keep in mind:
- Soc/Psych Majors/Minors – Psych 109-110 substitutes for Soc 100, but a student would still need four additional sociology credits, not three, and the sociology department offers no one-credit courses at this time. The Psych sequence would substitute for Soc 100 for a minor selecting the Soc 100 option, but would not substitute for any of the new minor requirements.
- At least one course numbered SOC200 to SOC284 (excluding SOC220), SOC295, or SOC296 must be included. HON254 and HON255 may count toward the 200-level requirements.
- Your CATS report automatically knows the year you entered UVM and will audit your record based on the requirements of that year. However, we have been told that the “What if?” option on your CATS report automatically provides the requirements from the most current catalogue year.
- If you need an advisor for your major or minor in Sociology, contact Salli Griggs.