Bridge over the LaPlatte River, Rt. 7
Historic
Modern
Photo credit: Sam Alpert, 2004
Rt. 7 was not the first road from Shelburne to Burlington; that distinction goes to Spear St., which was reached by a bridge over the LaPlatte at Shelburne Falls, first built in 1785. The first bridge at this site was built in 1798, while this bridge was built in 1848 (the photo dates roughly to 1910). It was replaced in 1925, 1950, and 2003. The original route of Rt. 7, where the covered bridge used to stand, can be seen to the right of the current road in the modern photo as an abandoned stretch of pavement on both sides of the river. Rt. 7 is now a much larger and heavily-trafficked road than in 1910!