

Date

Session Opening: Start time 7:00 pm; start time with recorder (00:13)

ROLL CALL

Finance: Senators Ullman, Crelly-Byers excused.

PR: Senator Cruickshank unexcused.

SAC: Senators Dolph, Kayser excused.

COLA: All Present

AA: Senator Kane excused.

SA: All Present

CODEE: All Present

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES: September 24, 2013 Minutes approved.

PUBLIC FORUM

OLD BUSINESS

EMERGENCY BUSINESS

NEW BUSINESS

Chair Kauffman: Bill recognizing Club Anime

EXECUTIVE REPORTS

SPEAKER CONLON: Our public forum guests are not here. If you do see someone that looks like a public forum guest, you can suspend the rules and that would be much appreciated because they're coming to talk to you. There's some of you and some committees that don't show up that often. I know we've talked about this in the past. Regardless if you're late, excused, or unexcused, when you get to 3 we will have a discussion. There are only 12-15 meetings in the semester so 3 is a pretty substantial number. I met with President Daley, Treasurer Barry, and Chair Asher to discuss the new financial policies and how we're going to amend our operational documents and procedures for that.

VP BIRMINGHAM: We're still looking for representation from SGA on the first year experience board. The meetings are September 27th at 1, this Friday, October 11th at 10, November 8th at 10, and December 13th at 10. Tomorrow, we will be doing some issue specific tabling regarding Sodexo food reform. We're going to be asking the question, that Senator Lott and I came up with: 'would you prefer a dining program where your money is funneled into fewer points location with improved hours, food quality, or options at the expense of closing some of the other locations on campus?' We're also going to be sending out a survey about this. This is the first step in this process. The next step is to be looking at how we can improve the quality of food, the hours open, and the

places we keep open. I met with Richard Kate last week with President Daley, Treasurer Barry, Chair Al-Namee, and Chair Kauffman. We discussed a little about fiscal year 2015 and the changes that will be happening in the budget. There will be student representation on some of those sub committees. We're thinking about how we're going to gather student opinion about budget cuts. We are still looking for representation on EPR on the Board of Trustees. I got an email this morning from the Dean of CAS who asked for 6-8 representatives from SGA to looking at faculty development, student success and satisfaction and diversity. We already have 4 of those positions filled by SGA members. I sent an email out to all the chairs. We still have 4 more spots we are capable of filling. If you haven't talked to your chair yet, you can talk to me about the meeting.

Question by Chair Longyear: Is it 8 students from senate or from the school?

VP Birmingham: We're looking for 8 students from CAS. We would like to have as much SGA representation as possible because we are going to be advocating for a lot of things that were presented in your memo.

Follow up requested. Follow up granted.

Chair Longyear: Have you sent this email to anyone in CAS

VP Birmingham: I got it this morning, so I wanted to send it out to SGA first before we posted it. I was approached by Chair Pope-McGraw about putting it on the Facebook page but I wanted to make an announcement to SGA first.

Question by Chair Al-Namee: How many spots do we have open on senate and how do you plan on filling those spots?

VP Birmingham: We now have 6 spots open on senate. Senator Sinkula resigned this evening. We have put out the information on the Facebook page. There is one more application in currently but it's a reapplication of an individual that wasn't successful. I would like to have people spreading the word by word of mouth. As of now, we're stagnant in that issue. I'm going to be talking with PR in their committee meeting on Thursday.

Motion to suspend the rules, seconded. Vote to suspend the rules, passes.

PUBLIC FORUM

Officer Covner: I think that some of you, hopefully, have had the chance to watch our shooter video. It's pretty intense. I'm here to talk about some of the things that may have come up after watching it. Did you guys have any thoughts or questions about what was in this video?

Senator Matthews: What kind of training is UVM Police Services implementing? I'm a senior and I haven't had any training since I've been here.

Officer Coyner: We do a lot of training on our own and with other agencies. About 5 years ago, we had an active training on campus in Waterman. It was done during a school break. We had people come in playing shooters and work that situation through. We have some officers that are really well trained in some of the weapons that we need to deal with that. Agencies, like the state police, have a rapid deployment team designed to do

that, so getting them into our university as well to see the layout. We haven't, at this point, done a lot with students and that would be something that I'd love to work with you folks on to understand more what would need to be done, if something like that happened. The video talked about cover and concealment. If we turned the lights off in this room and it got completely dark, it would be concealment. If the lights are off and no one can see you, and you have sheet rock walls, potentially bullets could still come through there. If you want to get to a situation where you'd be covered, you have to think about that. The video also talked about shelter and place. You guys do a lot of work in this building with your offices in here. There is a lot of exits in this building, and it's something to always think about to know your quickest way out of a building wherever you are on campus. We want students to know the best way to get out or the best way to keep yourself safe. You guys are familiar with lockdowns in your school, but faculty and staff my age are less familiar with that. I'm here so you can give Police Services feedback and get the students educated better.

Senator Madowitz: Are there mental health checks or background checks done or required for those that are members of the shooting club or anyone else on campus allowed to have a gun?

Office Coyner: The only people allowed to have a gun on campus are police officers. The shooting club

Officer Wetmore: The shooting club, as far as I know, does not have a secure location on campus so they must store their guns off site. If they're going to go to a shooting event, they tend to hold them at our place.

Officer Coyner: We've done that for the shooting club. We've also done that for ROTC when they've had to go out. Any guns on campus should not be on campus. Anyone who visits campus should not be bringing a gun. I've actually driven through parking lots where I've seen long runs in cars, and we've addressed that because once they're on our campus, they should not have a gun. I don't believe a background check occurs. It might be something we could look into further.

Officer Wetmore: To purchase a firearm in the state of VT, you have to have a background check. There is currently no mental health exam or anything like that unless it's noted in the background check, which is run by the FBI. The shooting club on campus does a lot of competition shooting. They're similar to Olympic shooting. They're not doing this tactical training. It's only for shooting events off campus. No one is to have guns on campus.

Officer Coyner: Officer Wetmore is one of our firearm instructors, so I defer a lot of these questions to him and he's very knowledgeable about that.

Senator Jonathan Cares: Is there a reason why you guys are trying to implement this gun safety stuff now?

Officer Coyner: This has been an ongoing effort for the past several years. I've been designated as a liaison to you folks. We're trying to get that forum out there. We just had the Navy Shipyard and I haven't looked at the news yet but I've heard rumors throughout my day that there was something in North Carolina. Unfortunately, the reality is that these things do occur. We hope that it never occurs here, but we want to be prepared if it does, so it's an education piece.

Senator Ben Cares: In your experience, do you think the people that bring down this campus will find a way to do it regardless of restrictions on UVM campus? What sort of programs are there for mental health?

Officer Coyner: If there is ever a time when you are concerned about a fellow student, there is a CareForm on the UVM website. That is a space where you can anonymously report any concerns that you have. It gets reviewed by a committee that meets weekly. The committee is multifaceted with representatives from Police Services, Dean of Students, people from different schools, CAPS, the Center for Health and Well-Being, Residential Life. They'll look at it and implement some sort of plan. If you have a concern, I'd say put it there and let the university do its thing. They do a really good job. There's also another group that does the same thing for faculty and staff, so we do take that really seriously.

Senator Madowitz: You said that there were background checks down on everyone when you purchase a firearm in the state of VT. Over 50% of the campus is out of state. What about them?

Officer Wetmore: It falls back on their home state laws. A lot of states require a firearm permit of some sort to use a hand gun. A lot of long guns are not restricted and you don't need a permit to carry those. As far as somebody bringing a pistol or something outside of the state of VT into here, they're not supposed to have it on campus. It's in the student handbook. They're not even supposed to carry it concealed. In the state of VT we do not have a concealed carry permit. It's just a background check that's done at the FFL facility. As much as people want to put some sort of a firearms restriction permit in VT, we have fewer gun related shootings than the majority of the states that do have restrictions. Sir, (Senator Ben Cares), you talked about what's to stop people from coming on campus with a weapon. People that want to commit a crime and do something illegal are going to do it no matter what. People still smoke, do crack, shoot heroin, etc. Guns are no different. If somebody is not supposed to have it they'll find a way to. In VT, we have a real issue of people trading guns with drugs from NYC, Mass, Connecticut. It is a major problem. If someone wants to commit a crime, they're going to do it. We're human; we can make our own choices. We just hope that everyone makes good choices. In any shootings, those were individuals that decided to do that. We try to do what we can to combat those issues so that people are safe gun owners. The bottom line is everybody makes their own decisions.

Senator Renaud: You said that more people our age seem to know what to do in a lockdown situation, while faculty and staff might not know. Has the video that we were sent been sent out to them and if not do you think that would be beneficial?

Officer Coyner: The video you accessed was on our public website. All faculty and staff have access to that. We are regularly educating them with this. We have a crime prevention officer, Sue Roberts, who goes to new orientations for faculty and staff and shares that with them and goes through everything. She just did one today. So yes, the education is going out to faculty and staff. What I meant by that comment was that you folks have practiced this probably from the time you were in kindergarten through your senior year. The faculty and staff here haven't lived that life. Although they're educated,

they haven't done it, and this environment is very different than a high school or a grade school. The faculty here don't always use the same room to teach. They might not be familiar with the rooms they're in than your high school and grade school teachers. They have absolutely been educated.

Chair Redell: Are there other informational videos of this genre that are about other potential violence issues on campus?

Officer Coyner: My chief just told me about another one on Youtube called 'Hide, Fight, Run'. It's a quick video, a lot shorter than the one we have, but it covers the same thing. If you Youtube search, you can find a lot of information.

Chair Redell: Sorry, I don't think I asked my question properly. Are there other instructional videos on campus that are about other issues that are not shooters on campus?

Point of Information: There's 4 other safety videos on the Police Services website. You were sent one, but there are 3 others.

Officer Coyner: If you go to Police Services and then crime prevention, there is all types of information there. There's videos, handouts, etc. There's all types of stuff, including domestic violence. We haven't done a good enough job educating everybody what we have on our website for resources, but there's a lot of information there.

Officer Coyner: We're having some serious issues with jaywalking around campus. We're having some real concerns, particularly coming across Main Street from UHeights to the DC, and on South Prospect Street. We're reaching out to you guys to try to figure out how to educate our campus on how to cross these streets safely. I know it sounds ridiculous, but there is a great amount of foot traffic that goes across there, and there's a large amount of commuters, so when the students are not using the lights properly, we have a really, potentially, hazardous situation. We're talking about doing some type of video that we can send out to the students. We have to figure out how to address the situation. We've had a lot of police calls. I hate to be the one to answer a call that someone has been hit. If we keep going the way we're going, that potential is there. We want to get that out to the students that that's a real hazard. I understand that they're in a hurry but we need to work safely getting across these streets, so any thoughts or ideas you have on that would be greatly appreciated.

Senator Lott: I would say, don't waste your resources. Students aren't going to listen to a video you make. They're going to jaywalk anyway. They know the risks when they're crossing the street.

Officer Coyner: My answer to this is environmental change. I've loved to see barricades that would force people into a different direction. If you barricade and redirect people to a different area to cross in a more safe manner, it's going to happen. People are less likely to jump a barricade. I agree with you; I don't think we're going to change the mentality through a video, or by putting officers out on the street. I think we need to think of something else.

Officer Wetmore: Along those lines, there's a \$209 ticket that could be issued via the state of VT. Do you think people will listen to that? I don't always agree that money is

where it's at, but people tend to listen to their pocketbook more than videos or anything else. That's an option with the City of Burlington, Locomotion, Police Services, we may have to do that. We do have car accidents or pedestrian accidents 2-3 times a year at that intersection. It is pretty traumatizing for a lot of students when someone's bleeding in the middle of the road. It's intense. I'm not saying it's going to work, but that's an option.

Senator Lott: I think once you start ticketing people, word is going to get out that police are ticketing people for jaywalking and it's going to generate some serious animosity towards the UVM Police.

Officer Coyner: I see. I think we need to have a conversation about how we need to do this. The last thing we want to do is to generate that animosity. We certainly want to work in a way that's going to get everyone on the same page.

Senator Hershey: As much as I hate to say it, I think that perhaps enforcing a penalty or fine might slow things down. I certainly wouldn't jaywalk if I knew I was looking at an \$100 or more ticket. Maybe some of the discontent is focused off campus if the city does it rather than UVM. I think that's a viable solution as much as I hate to say it.

Officer Coyner: One of the things that Locomotion has done in Burlington has been education campaigns with bikers and pedestrians. It's been predominately in Burlington. Do you think an education campaign like that, where we're educating you, would be beneficial?

Senator Hershey: Yes, I think so

Officer Coyner: We could certainly look into that.

Senator Madowitz: I think a simple sign would do.

Officer Coyner: There are signs all over the place. All they have to do is push a button to get the light to turn, they don't do it. I agree, but it doesn't work.

Senator Madowitz: I think that a sign with the fee that goes with it. I definitely think that the money does register in people's brains more.

Officer Coyner: I just want to give you an example of how that works and doesn't work. The entrance onto Redstone Campus, Davis Road, is a one way road. Prior to that date, there was a sign that said do not enter, and if you do you could get a fine up to \$216. I wrote a lot of tickets there. I agree, but it's one of those things that people take chances when cops aren't there and do it anyways. The reason that's set up like that over there is because that's a city ordinance. That's what they want, not UVM. It is a one way road and it's very dangerous for people to go through. I'm very happy that gate is there. They changed the environment and forced people to obey.

Senator Ben Cares: In my experience, I don't think I think it's more of a cattle affect. I agree that a sign with a fine on it is going to look very generic. Perhaps, another organization on campus could make something brighter and more obvious.

Officer Coyner: I agree with you. It is the cattle mentality. I like the idea of having Locomotion do some education.

Senator Hershey: From what I was aware of, in VT the right of way laws is the pedestrian always have the right of way. In Burlington is that a city ordinance that changed that?

Officer Coyner: The pedestrian right of way occurs is a pedestrian crosswalk that is not lit. As soon as the pedestrian enters the unlit crosswalks, they have the right of way.

Senator Dolph: This doesn't necessarily pertain to campus but is there a way of enforcing that cars stop at non lit up walkways? The one at Shelburne Road, you can stand there for 10 minutes and cars just zip by.

Officer Coyner: It's the same kind of education process. Drivers need to be educated as much as pedestrians do. The cross walks on Spear Street now have big lights. I think all the cross walks should have that. I try really hard to watch crosswalks, and when I am distracted, I totally miss that there is somebody in the crosswalk. That does occur with drivers, we all know that we've gotten distracted at times. I like those lights because it brings notice to the pedestrians there.

Chair Longyear: What about a good old fashioned crossing guard?

Officer Coyner: That is something that has crossed my mind, maybe in conjunction with Locomotion. Here's my question, who funds that?

Chair Longyear: Can you station a police officer there without the threat of tickets to tell when to cross and not cross?

Officer Coyner: We're currently staffed. Our normal daytime officers are 2 patrol officers on campus. It would be very difficult for us to have one of those two stand there for a period of time. In order to staff that it would require, probably posting for overtime. I like your idea but that's the thought process we have to come up with as well.

Chair Longyear: Possibly someone from Transportation Services, they're indirectly connected?

Officer Coyner: There's still the funding issue but it's certainly a conversation I can bring back to my supervisor. I agree that's something we can take a look at.

Senator Jonathan Cares: We talked about giving tickets as an option, but won't someone have to be there to give the tickets? Don't we still run into the funding issue?

Officer Coyner: Yes. If we're talking about a permanent crossing guard or one to educate people, that's two different scenarios. If we're going to do special assignments where we're doing some education, like with Locomotion, that's different than having someone that's always there every day. I don't know what you guys have for time, I'm happy to stand here as long as you want but I don't want to hold you guys up either.

Senator Ducharme: Do you know how the crossing guard on Colchester Avenue is funded?

Officer Coyner: There's a school down that street. That crossing guard is for that Catholic School. He's not for us. He's there anyways, so he will certainly cross you guys. We can see if we can borrow him, he does a really good job.

Senator Dolph: One thing to consider with crossing guards is that middle schools and high schools get out at one uniform time and they all have a mass exit. We have classes getting out every hour so you would need someone every hour for 5 minutes and then there would be almost no one the rest of the time. The whole staffing issue is something to consider.

Officer Coyner: You've got that issue. There's also the commuting time for people coming in and out of Burlington. You'd want to coincide with both of those. Is there another question or comment? There was some dialogue going on here. Hopefully me being here has helped provoke some thought. My goal is to get that thought process going. I'd like to be here periodically so we can have discussions like this in the future. Our goal is really to do anything we can to help you guys and get this campus safer if we can. I have no problem if you want to share my email address out to everyone. I would love feedback, thoughts, concerns, because I'm here from you guys. Shoot me an email and we'll do what we need to do.

ELIZABETH PALCHAK: This is my first SGA meeting. There's a strong representation here. It's really good to be here. I came here today as a representative of the Socially Responsible Investing Advisory Council (SRIAC) at UVM. I think that the VT Student Climate Culture came to you last spring. They made a really good proposal to us last spring. We in turn did a bunch of research and then handed another proposal to the Board of Trustees. SRIAC has two reps from the grad student consortium, undergraduates, and staff and faculty. I'm the graduate fellow researcher. My position was created last year to help support the advisory council. I'm doing a bunch of research on this stuff. There's a note taker and Claire Burlingham, the controller of the university runs the council and is like our CFO. Our task is to make recommendations to the Board of Trustees on how we should be investing our endowment. UVM's endowment is a series of about 900 financial gifts that have been given to the University. These essential gifts shouldn't really be touched. The principal is never messed with, but the endowment can be invested. It's invested in the stock market in lots of different ways. These gifts equate to about \$241 million book value. Once they've been invested, \$347 million market value. The returns on those investments mostly go to scholarships for students, or a special appointment, or a professor, or special projects. This money doesn't really go to run the operations of the university. That's a background of our endowment. The history of SRI at UVM is rich. UVM has a strong history of taking responsibility for its investments and I think mostly trying to make good decisions. SRI can also be referred to Sustainably Responsible Investing, or sometimes in finance world you'll see it referred to as ESG, Environmental Social Governance decisions. Back in the 70s and early 80s, a lot of universities made the decisions to pull out of South Africa. UVM was one of those also. Students got fired up and asked UVM to pull out of South African companies. A lot of people say that led to the end of apartheid in South Africa. Your endowment at UVM has no tobacco stocks. A lot of universities made that move back in 2000 when it was pretty clear that a lot of tobacco companies were not giving transparent information. A couple other big highlights in SRI history at UVM are that we divested from companies involved in Darfur, as a protest to the violation of human rights. We have no stocks in cluster munitions and depleted uranium. They're essentially land mines. UVM pulled out of those in 2008. Every year, climate change issues come to us in the form of proxy voting. UVM takes votes on addressing climate change in the corporation that we're invested in. This is all to say that UVM has done a decent job in making sure that the investments we have are all responsible on some level. If you don't know anything about SRI, there's some real power in it. We've done a lot of negative screening, or divesting from companies. Something that we could do, and I would love to see some students get excited about this

is positive screening. Where can we invest? Can we invest in renewable energy? Can we invest in local economies in Burlington or VT? This is a strategy that we haven't used really at all in our endowment, and we could. There's an event coming up where we would love to see a lot of students come to SRIAC and say what they want us to invest our endowment in. We do shareholder advocacy around climate change. It's using an internal perspective, as a shareholder of the company you can have a voice. It's called proxy voting. Divestment – you've heard a lot about this lately. It worked in South Africa. A lot of people are excited about the current potential divesting from fossil fuels. Community investing – a lot of people say that this is an area of SRI that people are most excited about in the financial world right now. You can invest in housing, small business creation. Detroit just declared bankruptcy. They could really use some community investing and strategic investment to help that city get back on its feet. Investments can be considered boring but if you really want to be promoting a sustainable system or organization, investments are something you have to look at. This is one way to access if we're promoting sustainability. We have this big town hall event October 22 in the Davis Center. It's an opportunity for folks to step up the microphone with the members of SRIAC and say this is what I'd like to see. There's no need for a formal proposal. If you have friends or other students that might be interested, come. It's a really cool opportunity. There is not a lot of other universities that allow people to say to the board what they'd like to see.

Question by Ben Cares: Have you talked with clubs and colleges on campus that have students that are interested in sustainability that perhaps they could pitch a proposal to you and draw attention to energy saving?

Elizabeth Palchek: That's a cool idea. That would be a potential proposal at the town hall.

Question by Senator Lott: Considering that support for nuclear power has been on the rise for a long time, and many people consider it to be a safe form of energy, why is nuclear power considered a sin stock?

Elizabeth Palchek: That it's a safe form of energy is not my identification. It's because of the risks associated with nuclear power. There have been a series of major accidents. I think there's two sides to that argument, ultimately.

Senator Fooks: What is the current status of UVM's investment with fossil fuels? Are there any current campaigns happening for either positive or negative screens?

Elizabeth Palchek: With a few of the examples I brought up like Darfur and tobacco, and cluster munitions, essentially we're negative screening every year. Every year we're looking at our portfolio and making sure we're still clean. However, we're not doing any positive screening right now, which is going out and looking for things we want to promote right now. For me, it's renewable energy. For other people, it's companies that are promoting gender equality in the work place. We're not doing any of that right now, and I'd say UVM could do a lot more. As for the divestment, the VT Students for Climate Culture came to us last year at the town hall and they had a really good representation. They had a sound proposal that you all ratified, I think. It was well researched and came to us. We did a lot of research on SRIAC on whether or not we could pass that proposal through the Board. We were concerned about the fullness of that

proposal. Divestment from fossil fuels was probably not feasible at this point to sell it to the Board of Trustees. SRIAC came up with a complex, nuanced approach to energy investing at UVM. We have proposed divesting from coal, specifically. Stocks are plummeting. The Obama administration is going to be regulating it heavily. Coal is not a great investment right now so we thought we could sell this to the Board of Trustees. Natural gas is a really good investment right now. It's still fossil fuel and it's still contributing to climate change but it is a good investment so we felt concerned about our ability to sell that to the Board of Trustees. Renewable energy is not a great investment right now, however, there are some specific stocks that are good investments, so that was part of our proposal. We sent this proposal to the Board and if you're interested in it, I can send it to you all because it's public information. We tried to put together the best package we could that included a lot of financial analysis. It just went to the Board of Trustees yesterday. I think we'd all like to see UVM move forward and have progress.

Senator Fooks: Are there any campaigns being led by civic groups right now directed at you?

Elizabeth Palchek: I honestly don't know of any. It doesn't mean that there is not plans to be more vocal soon. VT Students for Climate Culture was really active last year and had a real presence on campus.

Senator Hickey: With parts of screening, how do you evaluate that what we're investing is safe? I know that a lot of the renewable energy investments are great, but they also are relatively new, so how do we know that that's going to be stable for a return?

Elizabeth Palchek: Honestly, I'm not the best person to answer that. Hopefully, we would get a response from the board that said let's look at this renewable energy proposal. I would do a bunch of research, that's my role. Other individuals deal with the financial details.

Senator Ben Cares: What sort of system is implemented for student organizations or clubs that want to speak to you about investing positive screening?

Elizabeth Palchek: The best method at this point is to come to the town hall. In the next week we're going to be launching a new website, uvm.edu/sri. At that point, I'll be asking for proposals that you can write me by email. Come and voice your thoughts at the town hall. I would love to see that.

Question by Chair Al-Namee: Have you considered doing student-led or faculty-led focus groups?

Elizabeth Palchek: That's a really good idea. My position was brand new last spring. We're learning as we go. This fall, my first step is to visit SGA, the Grad Student senate, the Business School Faculty. These are my first steps to get to all the governing bodies. Focus groups are a really good idea.

Chair Al-Namee: Can I help you with that?

Elizabeth Palchek: Yes, that'd be great.

Senator Letendre: Is there any centralized database where students can go now to see what companies we're already invested in?

Elizabeth Palchek: With the launch of the new website, we'll have all of that available. Right now you can get the endowment holdings by request, they're not publicly available. With the launch of the new website, everything will be right there.

Motion to reinstate the rules, seconded. Vote to reinstate the rules, passes.

EXECUTIVE REPORTS

VP BIRMINGHAM:

Senator Lott: Why did Henry Sinkula resign?

VP Birmingham: The email wasn't too specific. I think he just wanted to explore other interests. Yield floor to Chair Asher.

Chair Asher: He had too many other commitments.

PRESIDENT DALEY: This past week I had meetings with university colleagues and others. In addition to my duties at this body, I'll have further such meetings later this week. I've received responses from two senators, Senators Matthews and Hickey about the police executive review form. If you're interested in providing feedback on police services, they're going through an external review and they want student representation. We have one of the three forums. I'm responsible for one. We're looking for 6-10 people. I'm reserving 3-4 spots for fraternity and sorority life. Anybody else who would like to be involved in that, email me by tomorrow morning, otherwise I'll start assigning people from my leadership team. This week is Staff Appreciation Week and we'll soon be distributing the video PR made. They tabled and asked students to write down why they liked staff and we'll be sending a picture of that out to all of the staff at UVM. We are now entering a partnership with UVMTV to produce biweekly videos and also engagement videos about SGA, student organizations, and possibly student life. We have these discussions in senate, often, about certain issues and sometimes there isn't really a conclusion. I get asked often about what the general consensus or conversation was. I will now be publishing in my office a working paper series. I have a list of topics that I'll distribute and send it out to you. I'll be collaborating with the respective senators and chairs on those papers. Those papers will be official statements as my job as chief representative of the students of UVM to the student body. I'll send them out so we can have a stamp of what conversations were about and where they ended. Chairs you will have received the new financial policies and budget model for fiscal year 2015. We will be discussing that tomorrow evening in addition to possible executive retreat stuff. Please make sure to review those documents. We will be discussing them in depth because prospectively, Treasurer Barry, myself, and Chair Asher will be presenting those policies to the larger body next Tuesday. Senator of the Week, somebody who has been working extremely hard on issues of transportation to athletic events when basketball and hockey season comes around, is Senator Madowitz.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

FINANCE: We had one hearing this week and the people didn't show up.

Question by Chair Longyear: Which club didn't show up?

Chair Asher: SASS, they had car trouble and couldn't make it.

Senator Martinez: Are you working with PowerShift?

Chair Asher: I've received an email from them. I don't have information about their requests right now.

Chair Al-Namee: Have Club SHORE's issue been resolved and where is that going now?

Chair Asher: I met with their club signers last week. They claimed they submitted their budget on time last year. The records show that it wasn't submitted on time last year. Many of the items in the budget can be funded through supplemental requests and that's how we're moving forward with that.

PR: We're tabling 12-3 tomorrow. I have a sign up sheet I'll pass around. VP

Birmingham requested that we ask the question about Sodexo. We'll get a white board and have people mark which column they're in favor of. We did a couple things for Staff Appreciation Week. We have a poster that's going to go up from people writing down something about specific staff members. Unfortunately Senator Cruickshank isn't here, but we have a video that he filmed. We'll put that on the Facebook and possibly send that out through email. We will be assigning members to committees to talk to committees about what you're doing and what you want PR to talk about. We don't hear a lot from you guys so we're going out to you guys now. You should be hearing from someone once a week. I emailed the executive listserv so all the chairs should know about this.

SAC: Next week we have our first club recognition bill of the semester. I'm going to introduce a bill with representatives from the club. They'll have a short presentation explaining what they do and why they should be a club and they'll open up the floor for questions. Every club up to this point has gone through an extensive process. They've written a constitution, they have a faculty advisor, they've gone through a risk management survey, so risk management has decided that they're safe and that they will insure them. They're not being recognized necessarily just because they need a budget. Although that might be a question that some people will ask, that's not their only reason for becoming a club. In addition to being eligible to apply for a budget after one year of being a club, you can also reserve space on campus for rooms.

Question by Chair Al-Namee: I've encountered that some clubs are having leadership issues. Is SAC a resource or do you have other channels you can direct them towards to resolve those issues?

Chair Kauffman: SAC is certainly a place to start. There's one in particular that's been having issues that I'm aware of and we're working to resolve those.

COLA: I'm passing around a neighborhood cleanup sign up sheet for this weekend. We have chosen to focus on Hickock, Loomis, Brookes Ave, and School St. This past weekend we had 5 individuals from senate and 5 individuals from the Dewey House show up. We're continuing to work on Veteran's Day and roll call. People had really positive energy about that last year. We're planning on doing pretty much the same event.

Senator Akkeh has been charged with planning our school wide Halloween neighborhood cleanup, including pumpkin control where we scoop up smashed pumpkins. That will be on Saturday, November 2. Mark your calendars. Sign up will be online. We're going to be asking for volunteers from senate, as well as many other campus communities. If you were at the spring clean up last semester, it's going to be a lot like that. Senator Akkeh and I had another meeting with OSCR about building our online off campus living tutorial. That was really productive. We're looking forward to getting some movies filmed in the next couple of weeks.

Chair Longyear: What other groups are receiving this sign up sheet for neighborhood cleanups?

Chair Redell: We're sending out emails to club signers and fraternity and sorority life, but these small neighborhood weekend clean ups are senate wide initiatives. November 2 is our school wide clean up.

Question by Senator Hershey: How do you think the removal of pumpkin guts will affect the squirrel population in the winter?

Chair Redell: That's a really interesting proposal and I'm glad you brought that up. I understand that you care about squirrels but the rotting pumpkins on the sidewalks actually have a negative impact on our people population, which happens to be our priority.

AA: Sending the memo and the signed resolution to the president and provost and all the deans and VP's tomorrow. We're just finalizing what we're going to say. We went over that in committee today. Both public forum speakers acknowledged the fact that there was way too much distractions from the body. Both lost their train of thought at one point. That really has to stop. It's entirely unprofessional and disrespectful. If you don't care about what they're saying, don't laugh, don't talk to your neighbors, just put your head down.

SA: Thank you for watching the video. There was good feedback by Officer Coynor and Officer Wetmore. Hopefully President Daley and I will be moving forward with them and possible doing a video to send out to the student body. Any other feedback that anybody else has about police services and their presence at meetings, let me know. It might become a regular, bimonthly thing where police services comes in and observes our meeting. I'm still waiting on some responses about the staff accidents due to long boarding incidents. I reached out to a few people, as did President Daley, and we've gotten no replies. I had a really productive meeting with the Director of the Career Center on Friday. We talked about possibly changing the spring job fair or adding another one for summer, which will be centered on part time jobs, summer jobs, and internships. I think would be really beneficial to undergraduates. I was contacted by Todd Brav, a representative from Translock, a company similar to Blirpit. UVM got rid of Blirpit. I was contacted by him because he wants us to buy his software. I'm going to be having a meeting with him Friday. I need feedback from students about whether or not we should use that service.

Question by Senator Fooks: How is that software different than Blirpit?

Chair Bowen: It's pretty much the same thing. The problem with Blirpit was that the bus drivers weren't putting in their locations. I don't really see that changing with the new system.

Chair Pope-McGraw: Have you talked to transportation and parking? I know there was a plan to get bus schedules up and that might serve the purpose without paying for software.

Chair Bowen: Yes.

CODEE: The diversity training for faculty for D1 and D2 courses. I was placed on the committee that is reviewing the current curricular status of that. We met last Thursday and we processed student feedback and we're going to use that this Friday for the faculty form in the DC. I'll be one of the facilitators for that. Most of the change that will happen will be passed at the end of this academic year, hopefully. Diversity training for us - I met this morning with a facilitator that volunteered her time to come and speak with us. There's a possibility of maybe taking the senate meeting time to turn it into a diversity training or social justice training for us. It looks very promising. There's a lot of collaboration from different forms of student life, the ALANA student center, and different organizations on campus that will be part of that training. Another suggestion from her came today to have the social justice training be part of our constitution, so it'd be there for us all the time. We are interacting with everyone on this campus and it's important we're aware of who we're talking to. She also suggested that we should form a resource list for SGA that compiles all the campus organizations so you can be utilizing these resources more often. We have a lot of cool things that are happening in house we should know about. Sustainability – Senators Letendre and Cares met to talk about how SGA can aid with sustainability on campus. Senator Cares is planning on meeting with Eco Reps to talk about education around composting and recycling and how we're going to make that more open to the public so students can know how those processes are done on campus. Senator Crespo is planning on meeting with the ALANA student center in October because they're busy. Senator Krawczyk is organizing a meeting with Living Well to talk about mental and emotional safety on campus and how that can be achieved.

SENATORIAL FORUM

Speaker Conlon: The fact that we got called out for having a joke in the room is not pleasing my mind. I'm a little sick tonight so I wasn't paying the best attention to what you were all doing. The particular reason she said something was because Pat smiled at Connor and I and we smiled back. I don't think it was really a huge deal. That serves as an example, however, of how you should act on public forum. There are a lot of things that we do that could be taken the wrong way. Side conversations, etc. has happened with probably every single person in this room. Try to control it as much as possible. It's something to really think about. Even when the rules are suspended, you can't have side conversations, you can't leave your chair, which includes executives. Some of you know better. We still have to follow the procedures that are put in place. Some of the public forum speakers may not be the most interesting to you but you have to treat them all the

same. When someone is speaking, it is very obvious when you're staring at the table. There has been a number of people tonight who have not lifted their heads from the table.

Chair Al-Namee: I forgot to mention in my report that Senator Martinez met with the director of Office of International Affairs. Apparently, international students are having issues with having some accommodations met in their classrooms. Senator Martinez offered that there's a possibility of passing legislation to help them. I don't know if it's something they want to move forward with, but it's one way we could offer support and have collaboration on that.

Senator Matthews: I yelled 'nay' on public forum because Senator Madowitz had the audacity to stereotype and bias a club on our campus for background checks. UVM shooting sports club is an organization about shooting sports. They should not be unfairly targeted by members of this body for any reason at all. I hope that no one else makes that same mistake and I hope that she can explain her actions on this floor right now.

Chair Pope-McGraw: Thanks everyone for signing up for tabling. There's a time here without a name. Let me know who you are so I can send out an email that talks about tabling.

Yield floor to VP Birmingham.

VP Birmingham: Earlier, Senator Fooks asked a question about what's going on with the divestment campaign right now. Tomorrow at 3 there's a sub committee that's going to be talking about the proposal that was sent to them regarding the divestment from fossil fuels. The Student Climate Culture is meeting in Waterman at 3. They'd like people to dress nice if you're going to go there and show your support. The person to contact is former senator Sam Ghazey. Anybody who is coming to tabling tomorrow can you talk to me briefly after the meeting.

Senator Matthews: I was at city council last night and the city council voted for a new redistricting plan. It's a 4-8-12 plan. I don't think SGA has done a lot with expressing student interest with what city council does. They already voted on that so we can't really do anything. Two Mondays from now, they're having a public forum on the F35. I think we need to have some sort of emergency business next week saying our support. There are gun proposals coming up in late October. I think that as the city council votes on these things, they need to hear from UVM students have to say. Yield floor to Chair Redell.

Chair Redell: Chair Bowen and I actually were having discussions about the redistricting plan. We thought that it was best that the university and SGA not come down heavily on either side. In conversation with Joseph Fidel who does local government relations for the university, he proposed the redistricting plan was a smoke screen for the new north end not wanting to lose a city counselor and they're proposing the plan as this opportunity for students. We didn't want to come down heavily on either side. We wanted to keep positive relationships with city counselors. We didn't want to alienate ourselves from

people. We were participating; I'm sorry that you wanted to and didn't get the opportunity.

Speaker Conlon: We have to work on the constitution eventually, so constitution committee read your email. If you love murals, the mural is back up and running with an install date sometime in October. If you're interested in being helpful with that, feel free to let me know.

COMMENTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

Chair Al-Namee: SGA Apple Picking this Saturday at noon. Tomorrow at noon there's a workshop at the Hub for retreat planning.

Senator Matthews: Students for Liberty meets this Thursday 6-7 pm, probably in Handy Room if possible. I'll keep everyone updated.

Senator Fooks: We're doing late night delivery on Friday from 10 pm – 2 am. You can call the feel good number on our website.

Senator Crespo: September 28th, 7-11 is Noche de Cultura. I'm cooking, so come.

FINAL ROLL CALL

Finance: Senators Crelly-Byers, Ullman excused.

PR: Senator Cruickshank unexcused.

SAC: Senator Kayser excused.

COLA: All Present

AA: Senator Kane excused.

SA: All Present

CODEE: All Present

ADJOURNMENT: 8:58 PM, recorder (1:37:21)