



TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2010  
SIXTH MEETING OF THE 2010-2011 SENATE

**Call to Order:**

*Start Time: 7:01*

**Roll Call:**

Finance: Senator Linde, excused  
Student Activities: All Present  
COLA: All Present  
CODDEEE: All Present  
Student Action: Senator White, excused  
Public Relations: All Present  
Academic Affairs: All Present

**Approval to the Minutes:**

Minutes from May 4, 2010 (4<sup>th</sup> Meeting), approved.  
Minutes from August 31, 2010 (5<sup>th</sup> Meeting), approved.

**Public Forum:**

**Members of UVM Mock Trial**

**Annie:** Hi we're from UVM mock trial. We are a club on campus for Pre-law students. We are recruiting new members this week. We are hoping for some senators who may be on this track if you would be interested. We are also hoping you can help to get the word out to your peers and friends.

*Open floor for questions*

**Senator Tran:** Do you have a date for recruitment?

**Annie:** We have one meeting now but there is an informational meeting tomorrow in Lafayette 207. If this time doesn't work for you can send an email to [mocktrial@uvm.edu](mailto:mocktrial@uvm.edu) and our president will respond. We will also pass around some informational flyers.

## **No Old Business**

### **New Business:**

**Chair Adams:** Next week there will be a bill to recognize UVM club softball.

**Chair Mallea:** Next week there will be a bill allocating funds to UVM crew.

**Chair Monteforte:** Next week there will be a bill recognizing Club Rugby as club of the month.

**Chair Mallea:** Next week there will be a bill allocating funds for UVM club baseball.

### **Emergency Business:**

**Senator Filstein:** I yield the floor to Vice President Maciewicz

**Vice President Maciewicz:** We have 7 bills for appointment of new senators. We will be voting on 6 people tonight, as one person couldn't make it in tonight. Can I ask the nominees to come up and stand over here. I will read the bill and it is the same for each senator, just substitute the name for each of them. *[Reads Bill]*. We had 14 nominees for 7 spots, 6 off-campus and 1 on-campus. We granted an interview to all of them. One never came in for their interview. All the others were interviewed and seemed well qualified. 7 were chosen and I nominated them. 6 are here before you. I think they will do a good job filling these spots. So I will have you each talk and say something about yourself. Your name, your year, why you're interested in SGA.

**Asher Lober:** My name is Asher. I'm starting my second year here and I'm studying history. I have some friends on SGA who got me excited about it and made me want to join.

**Semir Rizvanović:** I'm in my third year at UVM and am studying mechanical engineering. I have a few friends involved in SGA that have gotten me excited about it.

**Greg Yeager:** I'm a senior political science major and also the racquetball club president. I have been here a few times and know some people and have followed the goings on so I decided to take the next step and join.

**Andrew Dougherty:** I'm an accounting and history double major and I got interested in SGA because I wanted to be the treasurer which obviously didn't happen but that's ok so now I am hoping to be a senator.

**Kyle DeVivo:** I'm a junior in Engineering Management and Management Information Systems. I'm involved in club roller hockey, hockey and a fraternity. I'm really excited to be here.

**Margaret Fitzgerald:** I'm a senior majoring in public communications. I'm from Virginia and am excited to get involved.

*Open floor for Questions:*

**Chair Morgan:** What are your favorite colors?

**Appointees:** [say colors]

**Chair Mallea:** What are your favorite Ben and Jerry's Ice cream flavors?

**Margaret:** Dublin Mudslide

**Greg:** Chocolate

**Andrew:** I like dairy queen because I'm from Minnesota.

**Kyle:** I like Coffee coffee buzz buzz buzz

**Semir:** Either Chunky Monkey or Mint Chocolate Chip

**Asher:** I like Phish Food

**Senator Doran:** If you could work to preserve something about UVM, if there was something you wanted to make sure that stayed, what would it be?

**Asher:** Senator Filstein

**Greg:** the culture of open-mindedness and acceptance

**Semir:** The architecture old buildings

**Andrew:** Campus is awesome

**Kyle:** I was also going to say campus.

**Megan:** Recycling

**Senator Cheney:** If you were a vegetable what would you be?

**Margaret:** I'd be an onion even though they smell bad.

**Kyle:** I'd be a carrot because they are orange.

**Andrew:** I'd be a potato because you can eat them mashed or baked.

**Greg:** I'd be a mushroom because they are found in weird places.

**Semir:** Whatever vegetable is the least liked so I wouldn't get eaten.

**Asher:** I'd be celery for no real reason.

**Senator O'Brien:** Did you follow along with the budget issue and how would you want to be involved in that this year?

**Margaret:** I was abroad in the spring but saw some of it in the fall. I read a lot about it and heard how they are making a new plan and allocating 23 million dollars to recharge education so I'm hoping some of that comes through.

**Kyle:** The word I would use to describe it is feuding. As someone on the outside it was confusing why they were doing what they were doing.

**Andrew:** From the outside as a first year I was trying to figure out why they are doing these programs?

**Greg:** If you look into why they did some of these projects it was because they signed contracts before so it would cost more money not to go through with certain projects. They may not have chosen to do certain projects now but they were against the wall in that sense.

**Semir:** The main income of the university is from the students. They should have a large voice in this because we are the ones who pay it.

**Asher:** I didn't follow this issue closely but had a few friends were very involved and I wasn't too excited about it. It's mostly just that people seemed really upset.

**Senator Vitagliano:** What one thing would you like to get involved with through SGA and how would you do it?

**Margaret:** I would like to see more community involvement with off campus students such as working on a board and opening the gap of communication with off-campus students and their neighbors.

**Kyle:** I would like to get involved with PR. I hear a lot of question about what SGA does and want everyone to be on the same page.

**Andrew:** I would like to be working around the community and more involvement with community service.

**Greg:** There needs to be a program with teachers and how you have to be more open to research to make the university more distinguished. This doesn't just happen and I would like to be involved.

**Semir:** I'd like to work with students through SGA. We need to emphasize how important involvement is.

**Asher:** I would like to see syllabi before classes. I would like to work with Academic Affairs to address this.

**Senator Benes:** I'd like to call the bill to question.

**Speaker Chevrier:** We will now vote on whether we should skip the next two people on the speaking order and call to question.

*All those in favor of calling the bill to question: **Passes***

**Speaker Chevrier:** The bills will be called to question individually. Chairs, please record your votes.

**Vice President Maciewicz:** I have already read the bill so I won't repeat it. First we will vote to confirm Asher Lober.

*All those in favor of recognizing Asher Lober: **Passes***

**Senator Benes:** Last year didn't we go into executive session first?

**Speaker Chevrier:** We are a public university so we aren't supposed to go into executive session unless we are talking about personnel matters. We can debate whether this qualifies as a personnel matter but personally I'm glad we are doing it this way so the votes are public.

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Bill to confirm Semir Rizvanović

*All those in favor of recognizing Semir Rizvanović: **Passes***

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Bill to confirm Greg Yeager

*All those in favor of recognizing Greg Yeager: **Passes***

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Bill to confirm Andrew Dougherty

*All those in favor of recognizing Andrew Dougherty: **Passes***

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Bill to confirm Kyle DeVivo

*All those in favor of recognizing Kyle DeVivo: Passes*

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Bill to confirm Margaret Fitzgerald

*All those in favor of recognizing Margaret Fitzgerald: Passes*

**Speaker Chevrier:** We will now do the swearing in. Please raise your right hands and repeat after me. I do solemnly affirm that I understand and will uphold the University of Vermont Student Government Association constitution. I will faithfully sustain all obligations and duties of a Student Government Association senator. I will strive to achieve the high level of expectation that goes along with being a Student Government Association Senator.

*Senators are sworn in.*

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Congratulations

**President Mensah:** Congratulations and thank you for going through the application process and being appointed as senators. We will quickly go through committee assignments. Andrew and Kyle join Finance. Please take a seat. Greg will be on Student Activates. Margaret you will be on COLA. Semir will be on PR and Asher will join Academic Affairs.

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Chair Simmons, there are some very excited first years on their way.

**Executive Reports:**

**Speaker Chevrier:** As I told you last week, I work closely with COLA and OSCR and we created a task force on neighborhood noise. The first order of business is to run a bus audit on Friday. You could donate your entire weekend to Senate since we are going to the retreat on Saturday. It will be from 10-2:30. We will sit on the late night student shuttle marking how many people get on and off at each stop. We will also use our best judgment as to how many we think are intoxicated. We will also write down notable things such as last time I did this someone was rolling illegal substances into a cigar. It's also kind of fun. For my own amusement wrote down notable quotes such as "I was so drunk I gave him my real phone number!" It is entertaining to sit through. I suggest not bringing food because last time Senator Yeager brought some and was offered terrible things by people trying to get food out of him. So please sign this, it would be really helpful if people signed up. It doesn't mean you have to do neighborhood noise task force. There is a risk of the shuttle being shut down if things don't change. This is a good way to give real statistics about what is going on. I do need your phone number to coordinate getting on the bus and making sure no one is alone. On another note its Vice President Maciewicz and my job to set up for the meetings. I've tried to set up names in

strategic fashion to mix it up so you aren't always sitting with the same people. Last year the speaker tried to make changes with committees moving around the table but that was awful so I thought maybe we could just move around the people. If you are sad because you are not sitting next to your friend I say you should be listening and not talking to your friend during the meeting. Please sit where you are assigned.

*Open floor to questions:*

**Chair Adams:** Are we still able to abstain from bills because we haven't been saying this as an option? Are we just not voting or how is that working since it was not brought up for nominations?

**Speaker Chevrier:** I'm sorry, I screwed up. If anyone feels they should have abstained please notify your chair.

**Senator Filstein:** You also didn't give an opportunity to vote nay on the minutes.

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Thank you for confirming the nominees and welcome to the new people. I would like to give a quick thank you for those on appointment committee. I know this didn't go the smoothest but this was the first time I've done it. So please, if you have feedback for how you think it would be smoother in future let me know. SAC, you will be getting more people. I have a quick PowerPoint about the retreat this weekend. It's from Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon. I sent out a tentative agenda this afternoon. I will resend it tomorrow for new people. So when, where: 9 am Saturday at the Davis Center. I know its early, I hate mornings, I don't usually wake up until noon if I don't have to but we need to get started. Student money is paying for this so we need to use it. We will carpool in 3 vans. Some people will have their own cars. So we can just get in whatever car or van and head up. If you want to bike its really far, but that's fine, please let me know in advance.

**Senator Filstein:** Point of information: the bike ferry is now open so that will cut off a good chunk.

**Vice President Maciewicz:** So please bring all of the things you need with you because it's a pain to drive back. Also, come fed. Try to get some breakfast. There won't be any lunch until noon. I don't want anyone with sugar lows. We will be back by 2:30 or 3 on Sunday at latest. Ok so who: all of you and me! Unless you have talked to me I expect you to be there. Please let me know if you need to make an adjustment. If you need special accommodations or just can't make it let me know. **Leadership and Civic Engagement from Student Life.** Pat Brown, our advisor, will be there as well as Daniel Mark Fogel, our president and professor of English. He has expressed that SGA hasn't kept in contact with him. I feel like we do a lot and he does a lot and I would like to bridge that gap. He would like some feedback from you if you think he's doing a good job or a bad job or there's something you'd like to see, let him know. He will be joining for breakfast and some questions after. It will be a

good chance for networking with him, he's an interesting person. So Packing: you will need sleeping bags. There are beds in cabins and lean-tos but no bedding. If you don't have one you can sign up to get one from Outing Club on that pass around sheet. I will pass it around again for the new people. You are welcome to pitch tents if you want to sleep outside last year people did it. I'm not doing it but you can. Also bring your toiletries, there are full bathroom facilities. Bug spray would be good, a towel, flashlights since it could get dark in the evenings. It looks like it's going to be cool weather so bring appropriate clothing. We are right on the water so it could be kind of windy so you may want to throw in a fleece or a jacket. There will be some downtimes so bring games, maybe a Frisbee, some outdoor stuff, maybe a book. Just bring something to do during breaks. Last year there was tennis and tag football so go ahead and bring these things. You may also bring paper and pens if you want to take notes. Please don't bring any drugs and alcohol. Its only one night, I think we can all go one night without drinking. If I can do it you can. This is SGA sponsored and paid for so all UVM policies apply. They entrust us to use their facilities so make us look good. If you have any last minute questions call me, I'll send out my number. You can also email me, it comes straight to my phone. So again, 9 am in the Davis Center loop, be ready and fed. That's all I have for now. I'm excited to see you all it will be a fun weekend. We have some interesting programming ready. The point is to get to know each other. It will be a good introduction to senate with so many new people. It should be interesting, we'll have free time, some bonding, and we'll have food. Bove's is doing our dinner. With this interesting programming it will be a good opportunity to turn a new leaf and communicate with the student body. Committees, please include your new members in your office hours. If you don't submit and post your office hours I will not submit your lease and you will be evicted from your desks. If you need to change your meeting times, let me know and I can help you reserve a new room. You all should be on listservs by tomorrow.

*Open floor to questions:*

**Chair Nelson:** can you tell us what time you want bikers to arrive?

**Vice President Maciewicz:** The first thing on the schedule is at 945 or 10 so try to be there at the same time as everyone else. Just double check, its in email I sent earlier but I think its 945 or 10 so plan ahead. Let me know if you are biking too.

**Chair Adams:** Will the first year senator elects and the other nominee be joining us?

**Vice President Maciewicz:** They will be invited although they won't technically be senators but they will have been elected so it would be beneficial for them to join us.

**President Mensah:** Hey everyone, Happy Tuesday. I hope you had a good Labor Day. Usually the first week is pretty hectic so a 3-day weekend before it gets busy is good. Congratulations to the new senators. For the past week and end of semester it just seemed so empty in here, it just looks like a much more full senate and we will have 6 more people next week. I'm Looking forward to the retreat. I've enjoyed the



last two I've been involved in and David has been working really hard to plan this. As a head up on Public Forum for the next few weeks there are different people from diversity and equity groups that will be coming in. I have been trying to set dates for them to come and let us know what they do on campus and their services. One is the Women's center on South Williams street. Also the ALANA student services on Redstone Campus and the LGBTQA services in the Allen House on South Prospect St. So be on the lookout for them on public forum. Also, something new we are doing starting tomorrow is a SGA weekly update in Brennan's. Julian is going to be monitoring this. Myself, David, and Chair Monteforte will be there answering questions that students in Brennan's have about senate. It will let them know who we are what we do and what our positions on senate are. I think it will be well received and it's going to broadcast live. Hopefully it will also be on the TVs in the Davis Center while we broadcast. In terms of getting our message out this is a good path. I want to take a moment to talk about water bottles. That's going to come up this year and was brought up last year with discussions over a ban. I want to encourage CODDEEE to work on this. We might think it's so easy to remove water bottles and everyone would get on board. I was in NY this weekend and it was hard to find a place to refill my Nalgene. So I encourage you to look into things like that, like are we making sure there are enough locations to refill water bottles when students are walking around? Just a housekeeping item I want to remind you that the printer is only for SGA related items not for schoolwork or personal use. If its an agenda or a piece of the constitution you want to look at that's what its for. Jess has brought it to our attention that it has been used for non-SGA work. Only the chairs have the code but please, only print if it's pertinent to SGA. Student funds are paying for the print costs so please be respectful. If you are biking to the retreat, I think that's a really long trip, but if you do it I will give you a gift. I don't know what it's going to be but if you bike be on the lookout for something special. I also want to reemphasize the no alcohol and drug policy for the retreat. We have had experiences in the past getting drunk at retreat. By Friday I am going to be wishing I had a margarita but I can go all weekend without drinking and so can you. As far as food goes, let me know what your preferences are for food since I am handling this. If you would just tell me what you would like to see for snacks so we can coordinate that with going to Costco. I have decided to designate a senator of the week. My first year President Ram did this and I want to start it up again. It's a good way to recognize a senator who has done good work and I think it helps keep spirits up. This week I couldn't decide on one so I am going to recognize two people. The weather is getting cold and less sunny but I have 2 pairs of sunglasses to give you. I want to recognize Chair Monteforte and Chair O'Brien for their awesome work in the past year. I've seen flyers everywhere for first year elections and there was a quick turnaround from the SGA facebook group and the weekly updates at Brennan's.

*Open floor to questions.*

### **Committee Reports:**

## **CODDEEE:**

**Chair Herman:** We are still in meeting phases. I met with the chair of ALANA Beverly Colsten. We had a good meeting with some good ideas. I also met with Pat Brown today and he gave me some great ideas of people to meet with. CODDEEE is in meeting phases and having conversations with people around campus. Aside from that we are working on a list of questions and would like all of you to answer a few questions on the poll. We want to survey people see what they want to see happen. Questions like the water bottle ban are something we will hopefully working on. We would also like all of you to make some CODDEEE related issue questions. We are still planning and working on the water bottle ban. It's going to be a lot of work and always has. We are also working on the Coke contract which ends June 30, 2012. We are working on plans for what will happen after this. Senator Vitagliano has been working on these options aside from coke. I will open the floor to him.

**Senator Vitagliano:** I've been doing a lot of work and having talks with Vermont and nearby local businesses that produce local sodas. I've talked with Vermont Sweetwater, Basewater, and Cougar's Cave Sodas among others. Also, I've talked with a distributor that UVM and Sodexo already work with and what their ability is to produce a product to meet student needs. We've been working on some numbers with Marché people and their ordering. We will possibly be doing samples of many kinds of products that we are trying to incorporate. I have about 20 flavors in my room ready to go out to sample. There are a few companies that are also interested and if senate wants they can come up for a PowerPoint or Q and A session for public forum.

## *Open floor to Questions:*

**Chair Adams:** I just want to commend Senator Vitagliano. He spent a lot of time doing research and contacting people. This is one of the first actual actions that has been taken to replace Coke. Congratulations.

## **Student Action:**

**Chair Simmons:** I'm looking forward to working with CODDEEE on the Coke contract, I would like to help. Now I will yield to Senator White.

**Senator White:** Will got most of it. I emailed Gioia Thompson the director of the office of sustainability and others had set up a meeting that is to be determined. What I need to know is if anybody from senate who wants to be there for a meeting about the Coke contract. If you are interested and want to support our role in planning the next step please see me after the meeting.

**Chair Simmons:** I attended a meeting with the Dining Services Committee, which was very entertaining. We are working to do a farm stand at the Marché and are looking at plans for CSA's Keep Local Farms movement. They announced a t-shirt logo design contest for 2011. Also, there will be a Keep Local Farms farmer's

markets in Davis Center and a mobile cheese-making unit for homecoming weekend. CALS is having a harvest festival. Otherwise, we are looking into issues about the late night bus, dry campus how that's working and keeping students on-campus on weekend nights. We are still looking at ways to have students talk to police and a way to submit feedback as to what people want to see and expect. To conclude, I would like to yield to President Mensah.

**President Mensah:** I forgot to mention I have a meeting tomorrow with Jamie Schafer. He used to be a student and was involved in Feelgood. Now he does the production of the Prudent calendar. If you don't know what that is it's a student calendar with students from different clubs posed naked but done in a classy way. It represents your club. It's a great fundraiser for clubs. Its ten dollars and I believe the club keeps five. I want to bring it up with him when I meet him and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing this year. I think it would be awesome to be in it and fundraise ourselves. If you would like to be in the Prudent Calendar please send me an email so I can see if there is interest so I can discuss it tomorrow.

**Chair Simmons:** Oh and one person voted nay on call to question for appointments. It was Senator White because he wanted a chance to ask the new people what they think of Pat Brown's beard.

*Open floor for questions*

**PR:**

**Chair Monteforte:** Good evening, welcome. To all the new people I'm Nick Monteforte so look out for and email from me. I want to gather some information from you and get a picture so we can make something for students about their senators. Elections are going on right now but I'll leave that to Whitney. The TV show in Brennan's is tomorrow so please stop by or watch it online. It's going to be weekly so I would like to see more senators getting involved and getting to be on TV. That's about all that's going on. Have a dandy night.

*Open floor for questions*

**Academic Affairs:**

**Chair Nelson:** This week I've been setting up meetings with formal committees including educational research, general education and Brian Reed the associate Provost. Thank you to Senators Willis and Alleger for attending the meeting this week.

**Senator Alleger:** I attended the GenEd meeting last Thursday was the first meeting of the semester. The point of that committee that has been put together is to figure out what general education is going to be. They can determine how to structure it and decide how they want it to be. So far they are looking to set up workshops with groups around campus. They are going to go over what general education is and the philosophy behind it and the values behind it. Hopefully this will start a discussion

and get some feedback and discuss the values behind it. Hopefully there will be some new perspectives. Those workshops will be taking place throughout the semester and the chair of committee is going to be coming in next week on the 21<sup>st</sup> to have us participate. At the end of the workshop is the annual survey to tabulate what people think. There will be space for some feedback, its not all yes or no questions, there are actually some write-ins. Another big thing that is on their mind is how to assess the success of general education. They will be looking at it from both a large-scale method and set up a rigid university wide method of assessing the classes involved in general education. I'm not sure how familiar you all are with general education so I can give you a quick 1,2 on that. Currently, we are all familiar with the diversity requirements with our D1 and D2 classes. We want to expand on that. These two are considered diversity and cultural portions. Beyond this we would add in two more parts in knowledge and skills sections. Skills would be the more basic things like lab science or maybe some first level courses in anthropology or business. Just something for basic skills in a diverse range of subjects. Knowledge would be upper level classes where you would be taking skills you learned and applying them to real situations. This would be a lot of service learning and community projects. Lastly, Chair Nelson may have more to say on this but there is a sustainability requirement that has been incorporated and passed by a previous senate body. This is a point we are going to make to the committee and working on following up on that and bringing it back up to make sure its more of a working document. That's that it, thanks.

**Chair Nelson:** So if anyone has anymore questions on General Education and what it is feel free to ask and we will fill you in. We can ask Brian Reid to talk to you as well. In the past senate last year a resolution was passed to get a sustainability requirement on campus. This would not mean more classes, just some existing classes would be a little more environmentally oriented. This seems to have gotten somewhat buried in General Education. I want to bring it back up and follow through with it. That's where that would be going. We've been making progress on syllabi planning. I have a meeting with Keith Williams, the registrar and Jane Knodell to open a discussion about a timeline for complying with textbook legislation and making syllabi public. In the last week I have run into several problems that could have been helped with syllabi being available in the course catalog.

*Open floor for questions*

**Finance:**

**Chair Mallea:** We have 2 new members on our committee so we have almost doubled in size. I'm really excited to have you and I know you will grow into positions nicely. Finance has had busier week this week. We had 2 hearings and some supplemental requests. Next week we will have 2 bills for allocation of funds to club baseball and club crew. We need to bring these before senate because, for new senators who might not know, any request over \$2000 has to be approved by a 2/3 vote. So we will be having clubs explain why they need this money and how they

are using this. Club Baseball is requesting just over \$2000 because they are a newly recognized club and have no budget yet. Club Crew who has recently doubled in size over past year is requesting money for 3 new boats for their team. Please Contact me with questions. I've been impressed with all of your hard work this year but I'm especially impressed with Academic Affairs.

### **Student Activities:**

**Chair Adams:** Welcome to all especially to Senator Yeager because he's on my committee. We started the Liaison program because if we want to see all clubs we can't wait. We will talk again at the retreat but Senators Mason and Moise will be handling club sports. Senator Lederer-Plaskett will be handling cultural clubs and outdoor recreation. We will assign something to Senator Yeager soon. That's where that is. One first year will also be joining our committee so that will round us out nicely. When softball and baseball became not varsity they were told they could become club sports fairly easily. Softball will hopefully be up for recognition next week. Half of risk management has approved them they still need approval from the other half to be brought up. They need our approval to be club in order to register for their league. They have a really good plan that they will explain to you next week or week after. Badminton is also coming soon, they started to talk a bit last year. There are about 9 or so potential clubs that have been emailing me. It's the time of year where everyone wants to start a new club, as a heads up. I want to reiterate please don't bring alcohol or drugs to retreat. We are responsible for preventing hazing and it looks really really bad if we are drinking because we are not representing UVM well and it would be considered hazing if we are drinking and I don't want to deal with that so please let's set a good example. Leon will be coming in on public forum in a couple weeks to explain how he supports club sports.

### **COLA:**

**Chair Morgan:** Hello. I did a police ride along on Saturday night. I wanted to try to let everyone to do that but it probably won't happen so I will probably just let COLA do this. We are working on the Student Neighborhood Initiative Grant application has written a timeline for when we want to get this done. There is an application on they Lynx and a deadline for when this application will be closed. We are also looking to do PSAs about actions on campus. Someone did this a couple years ago.

**Speaker Chevrier:** Point of Information: This was Student Action.

**Chair Morgan:** We hope to do the same thing and send out to UVMTV so if you have an interest contact Senator Katz. We are going to be doing registration for voters so we will start tabling soon. The elections are November 2 and I will yield to Senator Cheney.

**Senator Cheney:** For voter registration the student activities fair is coming up and I think that would be a good first step to making students aware that they can still vote even if not in their own state. It's from 10:30-2:30 so I'm bringing this forward if you want to join me. I think it will be fun and is the first step to show students we

aren't just an obscure organization and they can get involved in us as well as what the country is doing.

**Chair Morgan:** There is a Community Coalition meeting at Pearl House. Also, please sign up for bus audits.

*Open floor for questions*

### **Senatorial Forum:**

**Speaker Chevrier:** Senators, I've said so many times not to use computers during the meeting. There is no reason for computers. Chair Monteforte has asked for permission but there is no reason to ever type during the meetings. We have a minute taker. Chair Monteforte is taking other notes for himself. I saw more computers earlier than are currently out now. Please don't do it. We need you to pay attention. We ask 42 people to sit here and you all need to be listening. Its offensive. Thanks to all of you for signing up for bus audits. If you have signed up and we don't need that many people I won't switch your time but if you signed up for a long period of time I may shorten it. I will send out an email. Also, about the prudent student calendar, it's a huge fundraiser for clubs. I think unless we can get a cover space or something we shouldn't take a month away from clubs. While I would love to get naked with all of you I feel like we shouldn't be fundraising and taking away money from clubs.

**Chair O'Brien:** I just wanted to fill everyone in on elections if that's ok. Polls opened at 8 am today on the lynx and close tomorrow at 4:00, that's Wednesday, September 8. Please vote and don't just look at faces, please read the platforms. One other thing about the elections is that over the summer when Jess and I were looking over the rules and regulations of election packets we came across something that could be up to the candidate's discretion. Senate has to vote on it if its something we want to bring up on senatorial forum or maybe we don't need to change it but basically an article to rules and regulations says that to be eligible to run must be full time student and be in good academic standing at the time of the elections. We can debate good academic standing or decide if its no big deal and don't need to change it. We couldn't change it in time for first year elections. Again, polls close tomorrow. Flyers are allowed and you can campaign in your own residential halls and please go up to people. Don't forget to vote and be thorough.

**Senator Lederer-Plaskett:** I wrote a resolution last year representing the student body against Arizona's SB1070 This bill has been 80% blocked so I just wanted to keep you all updated. I have been meeting with boards of SUNY representatives. 6 or 7 SUNY schools have passed the same legislation as us. There will be a conference or conference call to discuss this and I will continue to update you all.

**Senator Mason:** I really do like what CODDEEE is doing with the water bottle thing. I would probably like to see more of a student-based movement on that. We tend to

see a lot of senators pushing for it but I would rather see the student body. I don't know how they all feel about that and I'm still on the fence myself. I don't know which committee would handle this but it has been so crowded in Harris/Millis that people have been eating on the floor. This is both a safety and health risk. We have 2000 more students this year and Simpson dining hall isn't open. A brand new Financial Aid office is open but we still can't fit in the dining hall. I don't know who to talk to about that but it seems wrong.

**Chair Adams:** I know past senates have talked about the prudent student calendar and it didn't work out with senate. They get 40 applications from clubs and only choose 12. The problem was not about senate doing it but there clubs who need and want the money. Chair Morgan and I did have a heart last week I find disappointing there were only two of us there. It used to be every senator went unless they had another commitment. But please think about it. Gail and Alicia are huge supporters of ours. Please give back to them and you will also get face time with students. I really encourage you to do that.

**Senator Sadeghi:** In terms of the Arizona bill its great that you are connecting with other schools. I'm not sure what other UVM students think though, I'm not sure students even know about this or whether or not they support it. I think it would be a good idea to do something like senator O'Brien did last year where we had tabling and surveys about the budget to see what they are all thinking. As an All-star grumbler, I have been someone sitting on the floor in Harris Millis and I think its ridiculous.

**Senator Vitagliano:** In reference to Senator Mason's question we are planning on doing tabling and working with the Marché for sampling new products and working with PR to circulate questions about opinions.

**Senator O'Brien:** Tabling is a good way to get out there but also the way you go about tabling makes a difference. The most important thing is not to sit waiting for people to come up to you. Standing up and stopping people and asking them what they think is the best way to be out there reaching students. I would love to table and work with others on tabling.

**Chair Monteforte:** With all these thoughts and questions remember that the Vermont Student Opinion Poll (VSOP) is coming up soon so if you have any thoughts or questions about things you would like to see in there let me know.

**Chair Adams:** I yield the floor to President Mensah

**President Mensah:** In response to the overcrowding at Harris Millis it's unfortunately going to continue throughout semester. There are a few ways to alleviate this that Jesse and I are working on through our dining service committee. One way to alleviate this is that they now have a shuttle bus going, so please feel free to pass word around. It will get people to Cook Commons so Athletic Campus isn't

attacked with mounds of students from Redstone. Also the Redstone market open early at 7:30 in the morning until 11:30 at night, which is where the Simpson Store used to be. They don't have full kitchen there but there are some options for food.

**Speaker Chevrier:** does the Redstone store accept blocks? I think most students have some blocks and a lot have primarily blocks.

**Senator Mason:** Again with the dining hall situation I agree that the blocks thing is definitely going to be a problem. Are we allowed to come to the dining services meeting? I just don't think it's realistic and some other thing needs to be happening. This needs to be broadcast to students because it's really a hazard. A handicap person in a wheelchair could barely get a drink. I had to tell students to move to the side so he could get back to his table. This is unacceptable to me.

**Senator Filstein:** I was reading *The Cynic* that came out today. There was an article about a controversy that I didn't know much about and I wanted it to be brought up. It's about presidential stipends and executive committee discussed this. If anyone on exec would like to speak about this I think it needs to be out in the open. I didn't get a chance to read until about a minute ago.

**President Mensah:** I can give a brief overview about what has happened. I don't know if you read *The Cynic*. Can I borrow a copy to make sure I'm quoting correctly? The issue was brought to my attention at the beginning of last week. There was a question from the exec committee about whether or not if over the summer the standards of work were properly met to receive \$175 stipend for the week. I was here over the summer and there were 2 weeks I didn't get paid for, one when I was home and one when I was in California. I got paid every other week. This is not the first time that a President or Vice President has claimed their stipend every week. The issue came up with what tasks I had done and whether or not it was enough. I was asked by the exec committee to present what I had done over the summer. Some didn't think what I had done was enough to deserve a total of about a \$2000 stipend. It's a good question. I could only agree if there were different circumstances. If I had been approached at the end of the year about what to do over the summer it would have been different. If someone had said they would appreciate if I did this or that. However, this was never communicated from the executive committee as to what they wanted to see done. There is nothing set in the constitution about what the President is supposed to do in the summer. My main objective was to work on promoting SGA on the campus with tasks that I set for myself. I feel I accomplished that. If you would like to see my list as to what I did in June and July I would be happy to send that out. The confusion is because no one asked me to do specific things over the summer. If there had been some kind of conversation it would have been very different. I did apologize for not communicating properly with the exec committee. I could have done this bi weekly or monthly, reported about what I was doing over the summer while I was here. I didn't do that because I felt they didn't need that over the summer while they were all on break. We only talked about action charts a couple times over the summer.



Basically there is confusion over what I was supposed to do. This was not clarified on anyone's end about what people would have liked me to do.

**Senator Filstein:** I'm feeling a little hurt in that aside from specifics from the article, I found out from the paper. There isn't enough transparency between exec and the senate body. This might not even have been brought up today. I would appreciate a little more transparency.

**Speaker Chevrier:** Some chairs have discussed this with their committee and all chairs that haven't should be discussing with their committees. For chairs, I wanted to say as historical background, stipends are created as an equity thing so people who need to work could be on SGA if they want to. Chair positions require 20 hrs a week and the stipend was created so those who need a job can handle doing this. It was not meant to be used as one of the 5 jobs that President Mensah had over the summer.

**President Mensah:** I didn't have 5 other jobs over the summer. I worked with Conference and Events and SGA and Hollister and had a small internship. I didn't work with Kaplan.

**Chair Simmons:** You said you had to leave early to go to Kaplan ← **Out of order**

**Speaker Chevrier:** This was created so that senate could be made a priority. There was a long list of people who you were supposed to meet with this summer. I talked with Pat Brown and only 3 were visited out of a list of 20 that was clearly drawn out. \$2000 is so much money for clubs. There are many clubs who are frustrated they can't get more money. \$2000 is huge and others are offended that they put in 3 hrs a day and don't get paid all summer.

**Senator Sadeghi:** It seems like it is Exec versus SGA. I wouldn't have known about this if Senator Filstein hadn't brought it up. This is something we should have talked about. Its still unclear to me as to what this is about. Chair Morgan says paper covers well. I want to ask Kofi, I was here last year and nothing like this came up. Did race have anything to do with this?

**President Mensah:** No, I don't think so. Over the past 2 years no president or vice president spent the whole summer here. When people came back and saw I was paid every week there was confusion. The last time this happened was with Vice President Vincent-Bryan in the summer of 2007. I saw him in office all summer long. I also called him up and confirmed this, he collected his stipend every week. I don't think I did anything wrong but am willing to have a conversation. Had there been a to-do list it would be different but there isn't a set to-do list for every single senator. If you look at that list I have done a lot. Previous people have chosen who to meet with. Some I chose to meet others I chose not to. There is no set requirement for who or how many people I had to meet with. I felt as if I met the people I needed to meet over the summer. I don't think we would be having this conversation if it were

properly outlined by exec or the constitution as to what you have to do over the summer. It's hard to hold anyone accountable since I'm not a mind reader. So wherever you were over the summer, I didn't know what you wanted me to do. If you had communicated with me I would have been happy to listen. What I did was met with representatives from 5 different educational institutions. I even did things for SGA over my vacations. I will send out what I did and see if you think it deserves my stipend. There is a miscommunication about what work warrants stipends and in the future we need to clarify because I think this is sad. I have given no reason for people to think I did no work.

**Chair Mallea:** Most of us have read the article and if you haven't please do read it. We all need to be updated. That being said, although it was not on the record, I am very upset about this situation. This is not a personal attack on Pres Mensah but we have the responsibility as senators to make sure this body runs smoothly and that there are checks and balances. Again, this is not a personal attack. Unlike other student leaders on campus we are very fortunate in that for this leadership position that we are paid. I know that I hold other positions that aren't paid and have put in hours of my time to benefit students. To do things based on stipend is one thing and to do it for the betterment of student body is another. As chair of finance, \$2000 is a lot of money. A bill needs to be brought up if any club gets over \$2000. A discussion needs to be happening because it's the students' money and it should be going back to the students. When you first explained what your tasks were you said promoting SGA awareness was a big issue this summer. How did you go about doing this? Attend orientations? Tabling with PR? First year elections? PR has done a lot of work and I would like to know specifically what you've done.

**President Mensah:** Thanks for your points. I was not able to make any of the formal orientation sessions that were on Sundays. Chair Adams can correct me, she was there for most of them. Most of these days that SGA was tabling I couldn't get out of the Conference and Events job I had for the summer. I was stuck the whole day. That didn't stop me from introducing myself to students as they came here. I was visible over the time period and I'm sorry I couldn't make it. I continued to broadcast by looking at other schools and see what they do with their SGAs and how they work out their student activities. Most were doing what we are doing in terms of bills and resolutions I wanted to see how do they bring the activities part into it? Do they as a body do events? How do they do that? How do they run their campus? I was not going to mention this until later but one thing I would like to do this year is senate reception. This would be a way that students and their body can informally meet senators over snacks. I still need to look into funding with Blanka so we can figure out how to reach the most amount of students. I also have a PDA spread I did about a week and a half ago but its a little bit on the hush hush. I want it to be a surprise.

**Chair Mallea:** Thank you for your honesty. I'm glad you did all this work but frankly I would have liked to see more work done with the students in our community rather than what other school are doing. I'm disappointed. There are other chairs in this room spent most of the summer here and did orientation and worked with

committees and didn't report any hours because they felt they were bettering their community.

**Senator Linde:** I commend you all that this is not a personal attack. This is as much our fault as it is his is my conclusion. There is a lack of specificity in the constitution itself. It is not a problem so much as there is missing documentation. If there were a line in the constitution about the president reporting these things at the time sending a message about what they are doing this whole situation could have been avoided.

**Chair Herman:** Everything he said I agree with. In simplistic terms, I concluded when I was in this meeting and what all of you may agree with that there is nothing properly stated in the constitution saying what work equals what money. This is what it's all about and it's not fair to be disappointed with his work since there are no guidelines. Maybe we can change the constitution for the future but there's not a lot we can do now because it's unclear.

**Speaker Chevrier:** As a note, we can't change constitution until chairs appoint members to the constitution committee.

**Senator White:** I don't think it's if we like what you've done. I am interested in finding if you think you earned that money with the work you did.

**President Mensah:** Yes, I would say so. There are a lot of things I've done on campus as well as many around this table have done. Tons of hours we have all put in that we haven't been paid for at all. Maybe there was a miscommunication about how to report time but how I saw it was as a summer job. If I was putting 10-20 hrs a week then as my summer job I reported it. One thing I've been told is to look at this position as a job. Its very serious I wouldn't have ever run for this position if I didn't think I could do a good job. I would never put in for money for work I hadn't done. I pay that student fee as well and I know that \$77 is a lot of money for students to buy another textbook. If I'm reporting a stipend I'm making sure this is for a good use. I'm also looking to retool the presidential discretionary budget and use this for events. I do think I deserve what I got paid especially because of the work on communication between students and SGA. I could have done more to talk to students during orientation. This is something I may have missed in terms of hundreds of students. But I know did some of that when they were here for admitted students day. I have talked to over 2000 students who know who I am and what I do on campus. Many students told me they remembered meeting me for admitted students day. So I feel I've already done a lot of that that. I was an RA for USPB students talked to them about SGA. One is a now a candidate for first year elections.

**Senator Mason:** I think I have to agree with a couple of people. Like Senator Sadeghi, I will have to read *The Cynic*. I haven't seen the article but it's a personal problem of communication within senate and you can't assume we are going to read

*The Cynic* and know about the situation. This is completely blowing my mind that we don't know what is going on. I assume this will come up again and I will know more information. I feel like it's interesting that we can judge amount of work and how much it should be paid for. I feel like as a team it's unfair to be critiquing an amount of work. I wouldn't want my peers who are supposed to be supporting this group and student body to be judging how much work I can do. I hope we don't judge everyone for how much they can do. We should have known about this. We also don't hear much about chair meetings but I would appreciate knowing more information. This totally came out of left field.

**Chair Adams:** This was on my list of things to talk about and I apologize personally to my committee. We dealt with this and it put a heavy burden for the first week on exec committee. I feel like I've said all I can say. I was here all summer, I'm that chair everyone keeps referring to. I spent a lot of free time at Davis Center and rarely saw President Mensah there. He says he spent 2-3 hours a day there in the evenings and this comes to about 14-17 dollars an hours. You can judge for yourself if you think this is reasonable. It is up to senators and exec to keep track of this. President Mensah is not the first to be questioned about this. President Taylor faced a similar situation and ended up gave back some money.

**Chair Simmons:** As Chair Mallea said, nothing that happened in exec is a personal attack. I apologize to senators who are feeling disappointment about communication within the organization. I know I talked with my committee. Going back to this emergency exec meeting that we have been referring to, a great portion of exec thought that the amount of work we saw didn't justify \$2000. In the constitution there is nothing that says what he has to do. There are no direct steps we can take and nothing we can point to. Speaker Chevrier mentioned that there is no step we can take from this. We have spent a lot of time talking about this with no progress. We can talk about it now but there is no step I can see us taking except writing into the constitution certain duties as to what has to be accomplished to earn this money. I'm not trying to hate on our body or take us anywhere but forward. But I also don't think the disappointment from Chair Mallea is unfounded. I would like to echo it. I would like to move forward with President Mensah and have a great year.

**Senator Sadeghi:** I don't think we need apologies. I just don't to have to get my SGA information from a second hand source when I'm a senator myself. The other thing is that you went to other universities and I would like to know a few things that they do and we are lacking in that you could see us doing this year.

**President Mensah:** I want you all to be aware in front of you I will send an email of this out to the listserv I didn't keep a formal journal over the summer because I didn't think I needed to. I came up with list in the first week of what I did over the summer. I have 2 pages that overview what I did. I worked to increase communication between SGA and the students. In the past 3 years I've been involved in SGA we've done a lot but the students don't know that. How can we

communicate this? What outlets can we utilize? We send out tons of emails and there are flyers around campus. I went with IRA to UCSD where we met with folks from their E board. They have what's called Associated Students, which is like SGA but they not only have a senate side with resolutions and bills and an activities side. People sit on side during the meetings and plan activities almost what our Program Board does but more integrated. Is there a way we can do this? Students who are already paying their activities fee. UPB provides a great service. Is there any space or room for us to collaborate with them more? This is one of the main things I worked with. I also went to some community colleges in the Bronx which were schools I had taken courses at before. I met with them and asked how they advertised that elections are taking place. One idea that another school had was just introducing yourself. Sometimes just come out of your bubble if you are in a large class just get up and say a few words. In philosophy class I did that today and think I received good, positive feedback in my four classes today.

**Chair Adams:** Point of Information: SGA used to be known as the student association and worked with programming. Instead they designated SA concerts to do this. Their set up is how we used to do it.

**Senator O'Brien:** transparency has been brought up a lot but there is one thing that some of you might not know which is that senators are allowed to go to exec meetings. So make sure you know that. However I also didn't find this out in any way shape or form until now and would appreciate more transparency. When do these meetings take place?

**Senator Corkins:** I just wanted to say that this probably should have been mentioned to the student body that you would receive a stipend over the summer. And if you had said that we could have better guided your actions as to what we wanted you to do.

**President Mensah:** Again, that is probably something I should have said. Its public information and its generally known that chairs get paid during the school year and during the summer so you are right I could have mentioned that at the last meeting of the year that I was going to be here and getting paid. In the past no one had done that so I didn't think I needed to.

**Speaker Chevrier:** Point of Information: Chairs don't get paid during the summer unless there are extenuating circumstances. Only the President, Vice President and Treasurer are eligible to be paid in the summer.

**Senator Willis:** I yield the floor to President Mensah.

**President Mensah:** I hope I have answered everyone's questions in terms of what you did not find out from *The Cynic*. I didn't know it his was going to hit cynic until Tuesday when I was asked for a quote. I thought this was going to be handled in exec. I think Chair Adams called the exec meeting last Monday and we were given a

timeline, Treasurer Salsgiver and Vice President Maciewicz and I, for us to come through and provide a list of what we did for the summer. I was asked for this on Friday and I handed in this list Tuesday evening and that's when we'd found out that it would be in *The Cynic*. I didn't know it was going to be published until I got an email about it. I didn't bring it up because I didn't want it to be blown up anymore. We've been talking about this for a good 25 minutes to half an hour and we're still going on. Yes, it's a serious issue for someone to be paid this amount of money and especially if the work was not done but I felt I had done the proper amount of work that I had set for myself. I also don't feel like it's a personal attack on me, I just think it's more of a miscommunication about duties over the summer and expectations of things we will hopefully be taking on this year.

**Chair Adams:** Point Of Information: Chair Simmons requested that you call the exec meeting, only the president can call exec meetings.

**Senator Cheney:** My stance on this issue is neutral. I didn't know about this personally because I haven't reached point in the constitution yet. I agree with the interest in questioning this. I will want to know more than what's in *The Cynic*. I am upset that I found out about it in *The Cynic*. We can talk about what has been said and what we will be expecting for next summer. We should determine what we want to see changed so that this doesn't come up again next year. Let's be think about looking forward rather than what has happened in the past.

**Senator Alger:** There seems to be a trend in this conversation here that pertains to the constitutional document. To the committees who haven't designated anyone to the constitution committee, let's get on this so we can sit down and talk about that and actually make some things happen.

**Chair Adams:** I yield the floor to Vice President Maciewicz

**Vice President Maciewicz:** I would like to clear up some misconceptions about the emergency exec meeting. I was in the office when Chair Simmons asked President Mensah for an emergency meeting. Chair Chevrier and myself needed to set up before thief meeting so I asked that we could meet earlier so we moved up the time. For the record, Treasurer Salsgiver and I were also paid over the summer. We can and should provide documentation as to what we did. I will send out my list.

**Senator White:** Can you tell us more about the constitution committee like when and where it meets and why?

**Chair Chevrier:** I will create a time when I have a committee so we can all attend. We will probably meet once a month unless we have something specific to work on. We meet when things come up and have a few set dates to discuss things.

## **Senatorial Comments/Announcements:**

**Senator Lederer-Plaskett:** There is a meeting for primarily Greek life as well student life about dismantling rape culture. For all who are interested it's on the 4<sup>th</sup> floor of the Davis Center. We will be planning it and its awesome. Please talk to me if you are interested.

**Chair Monteforte:** Happy Birthday Whitney

**Chair O'Brien:** I don't know if anyone's been to farmers market, its on Saturday morning and is all year long. When it gets cold its inside at a gym downtown and its really fun and brings people together. Senator Cheney works there so I thought it might be cool if a group of us met up so we should go. Also, there are some international exchange students around campus so if you see someone who doesn't speak English please welcome them. They are really cool.

**Senator Moise:** The Black Student Union has a party on Friday and they wanted me to let everyone know. It's on the 4<sup>th</sup> floor of the Davis Center and starts of 9. I feel like when we come into senate we should be leaving personal biases at the door. I feel like a lot of people need to realize how you say things. There is a level of power with chairs and senators and president but at the end of the day we all are students and we are all equal. We need to be aware of how we say things to each other.

**Senator Golfarini:** As you know, I work with UVMTV. We have a meeting next week during this meeting so I know you won't be able to attend but we will have it on website. We will all be working together this year and its on our website. Let me know if you have any questions.

**Senator Filstein:** I will be biking to the retreat I encourage this. A handful of people are already committed. So we need to find a place to meet and figure out who is bringing what and plan a route. It's really not that far, its like an hour and a half and beautiful.

**Vice President Maciewicz:** If you haven't already please sign the sheet so I know you don't have allergies or need a sleeping bag. Also, check it to make sure it's accurate. Thanks.

**Senator Cheney:** I know that the retreat is Saturday and Sunday. I will miss much of Saturday for the farmer's market. I will be in South Hero in the evening. On the island there is a free concert at the vineyard. I press you all to urge President Mensah and Vice President Maciewicz to break agenda and watch free music.

**Senator O'Brien:** don't forget to vote

**Chair Herman:** I yield the floor to President Mensah

**President Mensah:** I'm excited for this weekend, I can't wait to bond and spend time with you all. If someone can teach me how to swim this weekend, I'll be really happy. I do want to bring this up its very important. Me personally, I'm an open person and a lot of things that can happen over the year. Things pop up at different times, please always go have a conversation with that person if you are worried about something, whatever it may be. I'm usually in the office, I always have my phone with me. If you have any questions about what is going on, that's why I'm here. When do you ever see me not smiling unless, I'm maybe sleeping or something? Whatever you have questions about, whether it's on this topic or others, come to me. There may not be a need for an apology but I'm sorry I didn't bring it up. I didn't think it was that important and I am at fault that I didn't think that. It wasn't something I thought was worth your time. I'll see you around at office and at the retreat

**Chair Simmons:** I'm happy to see all the new people. For those of you who don't know at 8 on Thursday at Billings for the bike users group, it's just a general meeting. You don't need to have any knowledge or talent about bikes, all are welcome.

**Chair Adams:** I wanted to note that clubs have a tight budget and when they come in on public forum please be respectful. Pay attention and please don't rip up their posters to pass notes.

**Senator Vitagliano:** I just want to commend David for his hard work this past week. He's been here non-stop and he even had a shower here, although I'm not sure he wants people to know that. Anyway, I commend him.

### **Roll Call:**

Finance: All Present  
Student Activities: All Present  
COLA: All Present  
CODDEEE: All Present  
Student Action: All Present  
Public Relations: All Present  
Academic Affairs: All Present

### **Adjournment:**

*End Time: 9:19 pm*