



TUESDAY, AUGUST 31ST, 2010  
FIFTH MEETING OF THE 2010-2011 SENATE

## **Call to Order**

*Start time: 7:00*

## **Roll Call:**

Finance: Senator Tran, excused  
Student Activities: Senator Lederer-Plaskett, Excused.  
COLA: Senator Cheney unexcused; Senator Katz excused  
CODEEE: Senator Benes excused  
Student Action: all present  
Public Relations: all present  
Academic Affairs: all present

## **Public Forum:**

**Gail Shaminois and Alicia Taylor, Office of Student and Community Relations**

**Gail:** I'm pleased to be here and look forward to working with you this year. OSCAR was established a few years ago to help students transition to living off campus successfully. We provide resources and work to create community. Glad for support. Our mission concentrates on bringing students neighbors together. We work on projects such as community gardens and plan events. We work closely with COLA and have been happy to work with them. The coalition works together to be inclusive and helpful for all. It is most successful when neighbors and students are together. They are the most affected by what is going on in the community.

**Alicia:** Welcome back, its great to see you. One program we do a lot of work on is the Have a Heart campaign to raise awareness of late night noise and spread this message to students. We pass around flyers and candy. A little girl made this one to talk about the impact. We are hoping to do one this Thursday at 5 with SGA. We will meet at Pearl House and send you out to dining halls to spread the message. I will pass around the sign up sheet to get volunteers. We did one with staff recently and it went very well. Another opportunity for off-campus students to get involved is to deliver welcome bags to student households. The bags contain resources about tenant's rights and resources. If you are an off-campus senator this is a good opportunity to meet your off-campus constituents. We will be going door to door through September. If you would like to get involved, whether you are on or off campus this will be a great chance to meet some off-campus students.

**Gail:** You will see what we are talking about. You may find as you are going around that there are students who feel unsafe and have code issues. There are materials in these kits that are very helpful. We are trying to help students now, early in the semester.

**Alicia:** Another project we work on is the Student Neighborhood Liaison program where off campus students work to coordinate volunteers in their neighborhood. Sometimes they do neighborhood potlucks and work on projects. One neighborhood has a community garden. People have worked together for 3 years to coordinate an organic garden. If you have idea and live off campus we'd love to involve you. Our first potluck of the year will be either Monday the 13<sup>th</sup> or Wednesday the 15<sup>th</sup> of September. On campus students are welcome too to learn more.

**Gail:** Maybe David would discuss his experience with welcome bags?

**Vice President Maciewicz:** I used to live on a rowdy section of Pearl Street. I did welcome bags on my street and on North Willard. I got a chance to meet my neighbors. Many have said that they met me that way and the contents of the bag were very helpful. I highly recommend your involvement.

**Gail:** And would any other senators like to talk about their Have a Heart experience?

**Senator Lederer-Plaskett:** I did Have a Heart through Greek life and it was really fun. About 40 people spread out handing out stuff. People really responded to it. It was much better than I thought.

**President Mensah:** I did it my sophomore year. We stood in front of Harris Millis and this year it will see even more traffic because Simpson dining hall is closed so this will be even more effective. Many students are already walking in groups. You give them candy and start talking about this and ask them to keep it in mind. This is especially important first two weeks while students are wandering around downtown looking for parties.

**Alicia:** We also do off-campus living workshops in November and December. We will hopefully be back to share more information with you. The workshop helps students living off-campus learn what they need to know. It is helpful for students and property owners. We will be back to spread the word.

**Gail:** Does anyone have any questions?

*Open floor for questions*

**Alex Nenopoulos, President of UVMTV**

My name is Alex, I'm a second semester Junior. I transferred here last year. UVMTV is a student run TV station. We're on the first floor of Davis Center. We were formerly in Coolidge, now in the Davis Center. We are trying to connect SGA and the student body. This has been an ongoing issue for previous senates. I think this would be a good opportunity for both of us. We have collaboration with Brennan's and it's easy for us to broadcast live from Brennan's. Our station is available online and in the dorm TVs. Why? If you have questions about connecting students it's a good way for students to be educated and meet their senators. This would be a big milestone for the campus and UVMTV. I'm not guaranteeing

anything but I think there is a lot of potential and this is a good opportunity. We could have a once a week segment or Q/A session at Brennan's. We could have 2 cameras and broadcast live. It would go to the dorms and online so you can show family members what you are doing and what the issues are. So it would be once a week in Brennan's. We could possibly do it in the studio or beyond in the lounge by the pool tables. I would hope to see a few senators a week and Kofi and the Vice President and anyone else who is interested. I've definitely with PR and Nick and I have spoken. Claire and Kofi have also spoken to me. I think it's a really good opportunity. That's it, I just want to thank you for having me. Thanks to Kofi, Claire, Nick and all who are interested. I'm really excited.

### *Open floor for questions*

**Senator Sadeghi:** Thanks for coming in. I think this is a good idea but I'm a little skeptical. What is your population? How many people actually watch?

**Alex:** Its definitely low. We just got our space last year, it's hard to operate. This year things have taken off and promotions are going to be kicking in. *The Cynic* agreed to publish our show lineup weekly. WRUV is doing the same. It will be promoted. And it will be in Brennan's, which already has an audience. That's where it comes to the internet again. It will be good to do it some of the time. I'm not worried about viewership.

**Senator Mason:** I think this is a good idea. I'm trying to figure out what is the typical broadcast on UVMTV. I've never watched it.

**Alex:** Well, it goes to dorms. We have four channels. One has movies, prereleased movies. It's geared to help people transition. It's broadcast online as well. That's the extent of it. What we broadcast: daily shows with student content. We're doing more and more in Brennan's with live music. We've had some interest from Burlington Telecom so potentially telecom in the next year. If this took off as well as other programs the sky is the limit for viewership.

**Senator O'Brien:** Have you thought of filming the meetings every week and viewing them live?

**Alex:** I spoke to Kofi about this. That is an issue for this year. Currently we need a physical cable to do that. For now we need to run a wire and there would be problems with that. There is potential for us to tape it and show it later. But if that sounds like it would work I would consider it. But for now Brennan's is a good option for us. Eventually when funds increase we will be able to do it wirelessly. I want to get there but that is in the future, long term.

**Chair Adams:** Thanks for coming. I love to see clubs. What will happen on *Mountains of Desire* this semester?

**Alex:** Oh, you watch that? Good stuff. I don't know.

**Senator Katz:** Is there a publically accessible program schedule? Is it published right now, say in *The Cynic* or online?

**Alex:** Yes, and on the web and on the station. And possibly it will be on WRUV.

## **Old Business:**

**Chair Adams:** I yield the floor to Vice President Maciewicz

**Vice President Maciewicz:** I emailed you all on Monday or Sunday night. We are doing appointments right now. I was going to use the appointment process from last year. I was thinking about it and it took too long. If you remember there were applications first and then complex committee voting before interviews and then a nomination. We have 7 vacancies and I want all to be replaced by people before the retreat next weekend. The old process was too slow. I rewrote it and will highlight what it does. Each committee and one exec member can choose nominees. All applications will be sent out when we have them. Committee voting is replaced by the opinion and advice of the appointments committee. We are currently accepting applications. There are 7 or 8 right now. All the applications will be sent out. Those who we deem remarkable will get an interview. I will nominate the amount of people as we have vacancies based on their recommendations. We will bring 7 people forward for confirmation next week. This empowers appointment committee to decide. I hope you approve this change because the old system won't be quick enough for the retreat. If you want to discuss if committee level is better than appointment committee, I'm open to that. However, I think this should be debated after the retreat.

**Senator Filstein:** Can you clarify?

**Vice President Maciewicz:** If you do approve this change now and change your mind later, thinking its better where the nominees were sent to the appointment committee then nominated. If this is too much power for one committee I'd be happy to entertain the notion of changing it later.

**Senator Filsten:** What is the purpose of this change?

**Vice President Maciewicz:** This would speed up the timeline. Each committee has so many levels and a spot on appointment committee. This seems like enough representation. Feel free to communicate to your representative on the appointment committee. The current system takes too long and is unnecessary.

**Senator Filstein:** And is the appointment the same as the interview?

**Vice President Maciewicz:** The interview is open to all. All attendees receive equal time. Decisions will be made by votes.

**Senator Corkins:** Is it too late for students to apply?

**Vice President Maciewicz:** No, they have until Friday at 4:30.

**Speaker Chevrier:** This is not a bill but a change so will you please keep a voting record.

*All those In favor of making change-* **Passes Unanimously.**

**No new business**

## **No Emergency Business.**

### **Executive Reports:**

**Speaker Chevrier:** Hi. I have a few things to go over. Please don't eat during public forum.

It's a respect thing to guests who have taken their time to come see us. The Constitution Committee needs a member for each committee. At first I didn't want to do it but it turned out to be fun and we need someone from each of the committees. Please let me know as soon as possible. The organization functions off of this document and revisions need to be done. I plan to make it fun, we can do ice breakers. Please come. Also, when speaking make sure someone has yielded the floor. No speaking unless floor given to you. I know its kind of silly but if you don't do it that way technically anyone could interrupt. Also, next up is really important to me. Last year we started the Neighborhood Noise Taskforce, a group of people working on rules based noise. There are many people who have students negatively interact in their lives. Sending around a list please sign up for it. We meet Monday nights and even if you can't come please sign up I will update you. Next weekend we are doing bus audits. I know that it's our retreat next weekend but we're doing it Friday so you could do both.

### *Open floor to questions*

**Chair Mallea:** Would you like us to wait until vacancies are filled to appoint members to the constitution committee?

**Speaker Chevrier:** The sooner the better but if you think there is no one able to do the job justice on your committee then you can wait. But please, as soon as possible appoint someone.

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Welcome all, I hope you had a good summer. I know mine was busy but fun. I have a couple of things things. First is we got new computers in office. Let me know if you have problems, some have had issues. We will get it fixed. Committees, if you need help with reservations for your meeting times let me know. Also, we need to set 15hrs for office hours. If you share a desk, 15 hours per desk is fine. These hours need to be posted. All leases in galaxy expire today and we will be redoing them. Our own desks need to follow our own rules. The next is the Provost search. We got an email from President Fogel that they are looking for permanent provost. The Interim is Jane Knodell. The provost is second in command of university. Professors, Deans, and Student Life, everyone reports to them so it's a very important position. 2 members will be appointed by SGA. Please let me know if would like to apply. Also spread the word. It would get good to see a senator. It's a very important committee. We also have a new look for the lynx. It's a new update, design and integrates social media. We are hitting some bugs trying to get it back up to speed. For example the appointment application can't be sent as a link, you have to go to the homepage. Let us know if things aren't working. We're fixing it but it's a slow process. Our retreat is September 11-12. I have a sheet of things I need to know. Your name, dietary restrictions, do you have a sleeping bag? There are beds but no sheets. I can get you sleeping bags but I need a number as soon as possible. Also, if you are van certified or planning on driving yourself. Also, if you are missing any part of the retreat please talk to me after. There will be a debut list of appointments next meetings. There are vacancies are 3 on presidential commissions. There are seats open for racial diversity, women's issues and social change. They are important and impressive committees. I served on one if anyone would do any of them I'd appreciate – they are for SGA members only. There are

almost 100 campus wide appointments but these three need to be filled right away. For one on ones I want my policy to be clear. Each chair will meet with me every other week. Every meeting I will choose 2 senators to have a one on one with. That's it for now. I apologize for summer emails. Its good to be back, there will be lots of changes this year.

### ***Open floor to questions:***

**Senator Filstein:** How many people do you need for the provost search committee?

**Vice President Maciewicz:** 2. There may be additional students added if they have something new to bring to the table. I give Fogel a list of 6 students, he picks 2. We can resend your name directly if you are not picked but still interested.

**Treasurer Salsgiver:** Just to briefly summarize what I've been working on this summer and recently. This summer I did a lot of training on people soft. This program is used to track university money. I spent a lot of time with Hannah, Blanka and Jess. We worked on the 2010 Fiscal Year closing reports. We tracked which clubs were negative and contacted them. We recorded the fiscal history and made general notes on club. This will be helpful for budgeting in spring. I have redone the treasurers' workshop. The Audit committee participated in and attended two conferences. I worked on the clubs with open summer budgets processing requisitions and helping with finances. I'm working on my budget process with finance. Clubs need to consider their needs better so clubs who need money get it. Many didn't use all of their funds last year. This should help for next year. Blanka, Jess and I sold and bought vans and a new truck. This will mean less money on repairs and they are safer. I'm preparing a financial overview for all explaining where is the money coming from and where it's going. Everyone has a better picture of our financial situation. I'm also emailing clubs who are negative in fundraising fund. Also, I'm teaching Blanka to ride a horse. Treasurers workshops are the 14<sup>th</sup>, 15<sup>th</sup>, and 16<sup>th</sup> and are mandatory for club treasurers.

### ***Open Floor to Questions***

**Chair Monteforte:** I'm impressed with what you did. I now have a solid understanding of budgets this year because of your hard work.

**President Mensah:** Hi, I hope you all had a good summer. I'd like to formally welcome you all. I hope you enjoyed your first 2 days of class. We have changed a few things in the office that you all saw. Please give us feedback. With our office remodeling we had talked about it at the end of last summer. I talked to Pat and David and the GSS president. We had conversations about trying to utilize last space that GSS has had and to maximize it. Over last few weeks we came to an agreement and worked on floor plans and in the 2<sup>nd</sup> week of August changes came through. Its 98% complete, we just need a sign. The folks from construction company need to bring it back and make it look new. On campus: David and I last Thursday met with Jane Knodell and Gary Derr and discussed transparency on student level especially with the budget. Many students in senate were vocal about that issue. To me, I felt that since we couldn't see where it was going to it made it more frustrating to us. Gary Derr mentioned that we have a new Student Financial Services center. It looks really nice, it's completely renovated. That's one thing that new 4.6 million dollar budget increase went to. If there is going to be new construction on campus that is going to cause fees to go up or move funds, it would be better if there were a publication for the students. There is

also a partnership with athletics. I heard that there were scarves given out at the hockey game. I met with a marketing director, which will finally force me to go to a hockey game. If you have idea for athletics please contact David or I and if you think there is apparel students would like. Also, I've been looking at budget. One thing is to see if there is a way for students who aren't part of clubs to access their student activities fee. The student professional development fund is something we are looking into publicizing and funding more. This was brought up last year. As for the Pearl House status, it's going to be reassigned away from Office of Student Community Relations. They said that the new location will be comparable to old one and will be easily accessible for on and off campus students and have meeting space. Also, the Provost search is going to be an internal search not a national one. This is going to speed up the timeline. They want approvals to go quickly and be done by spring.

*Open floor to Questions:*

**Chair Mallea:** I read the article about you working on transparency. Can you explain what direction you are going with this?

**President Mensah:** The article focused on course registration getting syllabi ready before registering for classes. This is one thing I've talked to Pat about a lot. How can we get students fully aware of their course load? One of the best ways to do that is to have syllabi ready in November. Also, a federal law passed making it required to release ISBN numbers on syllabi. This would fall under the same timeline. There would be more transparency for professors. Students can see the cost and work load. I could have chosen my classes differently if I had known everything in advance. On the senate side I'm working more with *the Cynic* and UVMTV to spread information about the work of SGA and spread this to the student body. I'm working on communication so students know who we are. We have a new facebook account and twitter. We're working on promoting those more.

**Chair Mallea:** This sounds a lot of work for Student Affairs. Also, I'm hoping to clarify. You wish you would have known earlier. Many other schools have professors post syllabi ahead of time. How are we going to require professors to get a syllabus together earlier? How is this going to be any more beneficial when there is a 2 week add drop period?

**President Mensah:** The answer is when it comes to syllabus from fall to spring you notice that most of the information doesn't change. The room of class might change or a few assignments here and there. This is not that much to ask of professors. It will just expedite what might just be lying around. I think there is a way for professors to do that. If students know ahead of time what course entails there will be a decrease in add/drop or potentially getting the paperwork to go through if they miss that period. I think you can cut a lot of this by seeing ahead of time.

**Senator O'Brien:** You talked about Jane Knodell and discussing transparency as to where money is going such as the financial aid office. Can you touch on how you would make non-capital things, such as educational improvements, transparent?

**President Mensah:** We didn't talk much about academics. We only touched on TRI briefly.

**Senator O'Brien:** The first thing I thought of was academics and its frustrating to see money going up and wanting to know about academic quality in the last year. A lot of things have added up with budget cuts and professor cuts.

**President Mensah:** With an incoming class much larger we want to be sure there is more professors, classes, etc. If I went to the administration they would say it's taken care of but my experience is its difficult.

**Chair Monteforte:** There was an article about Centennial fields being updated. Do you know anything about that? Are we paying to fix them for someone else to use them?

**President Mensah:** I'm not sure. The only thing I know about is for track.

**Chair Adams:** Point of information - club baseball uses them.

**Chair Monteforte:** the paper said that as well.

**Chair Adams:** In the article in the paper you mentioned that Academic Affairs is working to do the syllabi in 2 months? Can it happen this quickly?

**President Mensah:** We haven't started working on this yet but I have mentioned it before and have been doing research all summer. Hopefully we can start to talk about the proper method about getting this going as soon as possible. I have notes on who to talk to about this. I like to be optimistic that this can get done by November. If we are on the timeline for the federal law about ISBN numbers. I don't see why we can't get this done too.

**Chair Adams:** Did we just promise the student body something we can't do?

**President Mensah:** I didn't promise anything. I am hoping that this can be done in the next two months.

**Newspaper as point of info:** "I don't know what the possibility of that is for next semester but it will be on radar for this year"

**Senator Sadeghi:** I've seen people addressing by first names? Are we using first names or using chair/president or not?

**Speaker Chevrier:** Use formal names when directly addressing people. If you are talking about previous conversations you can say 'I was talking with Kofi'.

**COLA:**

**Chair Morgan:** This year we are focusing on the admission grant. This is an opportunity to pay out student activities fee to work on a projects to benefit Burlington area. It would give money to work with community members and students. I did a police ride along on Saturday. We will be doing more in the next couple of weeks. It was a good experience and interesting to see what happens downtown. It gave me a better understanding of the community side, not just student side. Community coalition is on Saturday at 10 if you can go it would be great. Please sign up for have a heart. It's Thursday at 5:00.

*Open floor to questions*

**CODDEE:**



**Chair Herman:** Welcome back for the first meeting of the year. Our committee discussed long-term goals including bottled water. However we don't want to forget about other immediate short-term goals. We designated people to meet with the ALANA director who I will work with personally. Committee members will help so I don't personally meet with everyone all the time. This will give work to different people on my committee. We will be keeping in touch with different departments more regularly. I had an email from a former COLA member named Paige wanting CODDEE to be involved with Global Climate Change on October 20, 2010. We have a meeting next Friday about what it is. People of all religions would come together for serious actions. I am trying to get her to come to public forum to talk more about it. She wants to come and have more student involvement. We are brainstorming again for moving bottles off campus trying to meet with different people about this.

*Open floor to questions*

**Action:**

**Chair Simmons:** There have been a few changes. There are 4 of us going strong. There are 5 issues we've picked out to focus on. We are working on a student vision. We are hearing more updates, changes, critiques, trying to get out there different ways to hear students better and include student voice. Buzz lines are helpful with that. What do students want on that front? Senator White has taken up coke contract and where that stands. Senator Willis is looking into that channels of communication between students police and possibly instituting a new feedback mechanism. We also want to Involve students in budget issues.

*Open floor to questions*

**PR:**

**Chair Monteforte:** Welcome back I hope you had a good summer. I'm happy to be back. Meet new face of PR. There are 3 of us all from Mass. PR! [in Boston accent]. Now, for a rundown of PR. Thanks for your help with orientation. Amanda, Whitney, Ali, and Lucas. I wasn't there all the time as an Orientation Leader so I didn't see everything but they talked to a lot of first years to represent SGA. Also the first year picnic Trey, Will, Dmitri, Amanda, Julian and those who left, a big thanks for the help. They gave about 25 first year packets out. There is a lot of interest. The Lynx has been updated. It has a facebook kind of feel to it. You can write on the SGA wall and it will post around campus. We are also trying to link to facebook and twitter. Hopefully a lot of people will start using that. We are working to get clubs to use lynx more. Thanks to Alex for coming in I would really like to see a Q/A session going and not just have it be a PR thing with us all the time. I hope you are all excited. Constitution committee is good, I'm on it. I'm also building a relationship with cynic trying to get more news. UVMSGGA is a new facebook page we've got going on. Join it and get others to.

*Open floor to questions*

**Senator Sadeghi:** You said somewhere between 25 packets given out. How many were there last year?

**Chair Monteforte:** last year I'm not sure how many were taken out but maybe like 6? Last year I ran and there weren't many people.

**Speaker Chevrier:** Point of Information: 30 were signed out last year but few returned and few actually ran.

**Senator Sadeghi:** Those were just given out?

**Chair Monteforte:** actually given a packet.

**President Mensah:** If I'm correct we won't know how many people are running until Thursday?

#### **Elections:**

**Chair O'Brien:** A lot of freshman want to get involved and are looking to join. We have a few openings for the election committee. Thursday by 7 they have to hand in packets. Let me know if you are interested in coming. After that they are officially on the ballot and we have some number to figure out. We will see ballot come Thursday.

**Senator Sadeghi:** When is the election?

**Chair O'Brien:** Its September 7-8, Tuesday and Wednesday next week.

#### **Academic Affairs:**

**Chair Nelson:** We are working on textbook legislation. Courses haven't been combined but it's something we've researched. The Federal law calls for universities to disclose the price of textbooks to students before registering for classes. It's also for the professors. In past professors got book for free to choose the best one for their course and then tell students what to get. They don't recognize the cost and students get upset about the cost. We will also work on debundling as well so you aren't forced to buy the CD, DVD etc. that the professor might not even use. This is in response to hyperinflation with textbooks. We hope to follow up with Jane Knodell the provost as well as the bookstore to see how this is going. It's a good opportunity to put the syllabus on as a rider to give more information to make informed decisions on how to choose courses. That is where were going with that. I've done a lot of work for online syllabi with Keith Williams and technical aspects with chair of technical research education working on all of the computer stuff. We're working on that and haven't made a timeline for releasing this information yet but that's something we plan on working on. Another thing is that students with priority registration have changed. There is now a priority over your class, instead of honors students freshmen being able to register before the whole student body. Each class gets a bump up. One more thing, I need some help filling gen ed meetings. If anyone is interested let me know. Its Thursday from 5:30-6:30.

#### *Open Floor to Questions*

**Senator Corkins:** I have a thought for the committee. I was disappointed when buying books that we got emails and there were posters going down the stairs about renting textbooks. It was also in *The Freepress*. When I got there only 20 books were rentable. I was disappointed that there were so few choices.

**President Mensah:** Point of Information: The reason for this was because it was a pilot program and they started with a few to see what the interest in it was and to see if it will continue later.

**Chair Adams:** I'm curious what policy was about books on course reserve. Some of my most expensive ones aren't on reserve and I would likely take advantage in that situation.

**Speaker Chevrier:** They have to do it and put it on reserve but only at teachers request.

**Senator Tran:** What are the guidelines for textbook ISBN numbers and whose rules are those?

**Chair Nelson:** this was a federal law under the Higher Education Opportunity Act.

**Senator Corkins:** How many of the same book does a Professor put on reserve?

**Chair Nelson:** It depends on the classes. If there are multiple copies that the library owns versus professors personal copies.

#### **Finance:**

**Chair Mallea:** I'm excited about appointments with just 3 of us left on the committee. I'm waiting to get a full committee before setting plans and expectations for next year budgets. Pat Brown is going to talk about budgets and road mapping. We had no supplemental requests this week so things are kind of slow for now.

#### *Open Floor for Questions*

#### **Student Activities:**

**Chair Adams:** I have been stealing committee members. I had three resignations. We will have new senators and a new first year and an appointment vacancy. The Lynx has a new look to play around with it. We are going to be using it more even for within senate. The more you know about it the. We need to be the example for clubs. Policy workshops are September 26. This will be a little different clubs will be coming in early. We are waiting for a full committee before starting the liaison program.

#### **Senatorial Forum:**

**Speaker Chevrier:** Please remember only talk about senatorial matters such as legislation. This is for senators only. Later we will do senatorial comments/announcements and open to all in the room. Would anyone like to speak?

**Yield to Vice President Maciewicz:** I'm going to go over the appointments process more in detail. I need someone from Academic Affairs, Senator FilBstein, and one exec member. One chair needs to join. Appointments will be until 5pm Friday. After that appointment we will meet Friday night to determine who gets interviews. Interviews will be over the weekend and Monday and Tuesday to be determined next Tuesday. Please spread the word that the application is on the lynx now through Friday. I know it's a tight timeline but we don't have much time. And what Senator Adams said about the lynx is true. We need to start using it. Please make sure you are in the right lynx group. Chairs please manage the members.

#### **Senatorial Comments and Announcements:**

**Chair Mallea:** As most of you know, I'm involved in Greek life on campus and the week of Oct 11-15 is Greek Week on campus. I need to get SGA judges, probably about 5, to judge

Greek Week competitions. One will be Greek lip sync and a Greek god and goddess. There are few requirements there will be a standardized grading sheet.

**Senator Lederer-Plaskett:** I'm also involved in Greek life. There is a Conference/workshops about Greek Life requirements. The requirement for community service has changed. The conference is about ending sexual violence against women, especially within the Burlington community. That said, opening up involvement and attendance to all UVM members so if anyone has any resources or additions it's a week from Thursday. It's the first meeting so email me if interested.

**Chair Adams:** Shoutouts for move in there were five senators: Vitagliano, White, Denton, Wills, Tran, and Senator Sadeghi stopped by as well. It was great to see you all there. I know Senator Morgan talked about Have a heart. It was upsetting to me to watch SGA's involvement dwindle when I worked in the Office of Student and Community Relations. Only a few people came last year. People please sign up. Gail and Alicia really appreciate it. It's another way to get out there and talk to people so please change your mind, its fun. Also, please come to the Hang Ten Party. I've been working all summer and it's a legit dance party with free food and dancing, please stop by. It's at 10 here. It will be great.

**Senator Willis: for VP Maciewicz:** what time is meeting for the Appointment's Committee on Friday?

**Vice President Maciewicz:** I will probably do this by schedule. I hate to do this Friday but it won't take long. The applications are short. Maybe we can do it on Saturday but that would probably be in the morning, which I won't do. Maybe we can even do an electronic vote.

**President Mensah:** I'm sorry, I forgot during my report. Chairs, please stick around for a few minutes after the meeting.

**Chair Simmons:** There is a bicycle group meeting on Thursday and would love to see you there. Its in Billings and good things will be happening and are in the works. We would love to include your enthusiasm and talents even more great things will happen. For Chair Mallea, are non-Greek members allowed to dress up as the idiots in the competition?

**Chair Mallea:** You can dress however you like.

**Senator Lederer-Plaskett:** Please buy tickets to last things in WOW. There is a 5 dollar localvore and we need more people. And buy your tickets, they are selling out fast.

**Senator Doran :** There is a Band called Divine Lorraine. There are 3 wonderful members playing Nectars on Thursday for 3 hours. It will be a good time.

**Senator Filstein:** When and where is this 5 dollar shinding?

**Senator Lederer-Plaskett –** It's in the Grand Maple Ballroom at 7 tomorrow.

**Senator Corkins:** where can you buy tickets?

**Senator Lederer-Plaskett:** In Catamount Coffee from 10-2 and in Brennan's now. And probably at the door. You also get to keep your plate.

**Chair Nelson:** There are websites like Chegg.com where you can rent textbooks really cheap as well as amazon.com and half.com to buy cheaper ones.

**Roll Call:**

Finance: all present  
Student Activities: all present  
COLA: Senator Cheney, unexcused  
CODEEE: Senator Benes, Excused  
Student Action: all present  
Public Relations: all present  
Academic Affairs: all present

**Adjourned: 8:27**