



TUESDAY, JANUARY 18TH, 2011
NINETEENTH MEETING OF THE 2010-2011 SENATE

Call to Order

Start Time: 7:01pm

Roll Call

Finance: Senator Tran, excused
Student Activities: All Present
COLA: Senator Sadeghi, Senator Cooper, unexcused
CODEEE: Senator McLemore, excused
Student Action: Senator Doran, excused
Public Relations: Senator O'Brien, excused
Academic Affairs: Senator Filstein, excused

Public Forum

n/a

Old Business

Bill Recognizing International Relations Club

Chair Adams: This was tabled last week, and by last I mean the end of December. *{ reads bill }*. I'm going to invite them up unless anyone has any questions. Cool. So I'm going to invite them up to give a presentation.

Mike: Hi, I'm Mike, I'm the treasurer and creator of the International Relations club and this is Harry Goldman, the president of the International Relations Club. The Model United Nations Club or International Relations club is a well respected and long standing organization in almost every major university in the country except UVM. We're hoping that we can get something like this at UVM to boost involvement and get a presence in the International Relations community and Model UN community. In terms of its individuality, it offers unrivaled opportunities. It provides a cohesive environment to discuss issues. Some say that the Debate Club is similar but it is different in many ways. The benefits to the student body is that it would provide members with the ability to travel widely to conferences, provide networking opportunities and enhance written and oral communication and problem solving. Those are things that all members can work on. We will be applying for funds. One of the main functions we will be doing is going to conferences and we do need to supplement travel costs that go to committee fees and housing to help us go to these events. We do have a plan for fundraising with a couple things like bake sales, solicitation of local businesses and website advertising at the moment. Those ideas are in the works. In terms of events and activities, we are active already and hopefully with your approval we're going to McGill later in January, a week from Thursday, to participate in the Model UN Conference. Next year there are a variety of places we can go such as Georgetown, Yale, University of Chicago, McGill, they all have great Model UN conferences and we will go to them if possible. We will be accessible to all students and inclusive of all interested members. The skills involved, like we talked about, are growth in written oral communication, as well as problem solving skills. These are applicable to all majors, not just Political Science or

International Studies majors. Everyone can be involved if they're interested. In terms of sustainability, it doesn't have too many options of waste. I would think if anything we use a lot of paper and we can recycle that and are sustainable. That's it.

Open the Floor for Questions

Chair Mallea: Hi, thank you for coming in, we appreciate it. In regards to the financial part of your presentation you said you need funds to supplement travel costs, hotel costs and all of that. I was wondering if you could give a ballpark estimate as to how often you will be travelling. Will it be every weekend and also if you guys had thought about having membership fees to be in the club.

Harry: Dues are definitely involved although we don't know yet how much to charge with dues. In terms of travelling, there are conferences separated into two semesters. There are a lot in the fall and in the spring. Not every school goes to every one. Usually there is a schedule of 5 so that can be up to one or two weekends in a row or separated by a month or two. It varies which events we go to. Travelling is an issue. The frequency depends because there are a lot of different ones, you just have to choose. A ballpark, depending on how many people we have it's in between \$300 and \$500 per person in terms of overall fees, conference fees, delegation fees, food and housing at the hotels.

Senator Vitagliano: Hi, thanks for coming in. I have a question that you're the VT IR club. I just wonder with being a model UN are you going to associate with one or the other?

Harry: There are a lot of uses across different IR associations and International Relations Club is used as a proper name. Not all of them call it Model UN. A lot of different clubs across different universities host events that have to relate to certain issues with different clubs, multiethnic groups, or international issues. There are events that are beyond Model UN and the UN part is on the side.

Senator Tran: Hi, thanks for coming in. I have 2 questions. One, how many members are in the club currently and the second is have you started fundraising for your McGill trip in January yet?

Mike: At moment we have 15-20 active members. We started it up in October and we're getting more people by the month and looking to continue to network and expecting at least 50 by start of next year. At the moment we have no funding and we are going to McGill on our own dollar. We can possibly go through the supplemental funding but it's a different process with that.

Harry: For the McGill trip there are 4 of us myself, Mike and 2 other members. It is hard to find people who will come paying out of their own pockets. Had we had the availability of other funds early on it might have been possible. In terms of active membership we have, 15-20. We have had a lot of interest and a lot unable to do it for monetary reasons and students who are abroad and couldn't commit just yet. Come next year with being able to host a booth at the Student Activities Fair we can generate more interest and more people will sign up. We can be organized and hold events to attract interest.

Chair Simmons: Do you talk about real world international issues and solutions or do you analyze issues from their point of view?

Harry: Within conferences there are different committee, general assemblies, special issues committees and crisis committees. Each will focus on 2 topics that are relevant to the committee itself. This year at McGill I'm doing anti-doping agency that deals with 2 things. One is the operational requirements for the Olympics and doping problems for different sports. It is usually very relevant or based on historic simulations. Conflict resolution is when you present ideas based on who you are representing and go and debate and come to resolution. It allows you to

network with individuals to write a resolution that could pass or not pass. There is a lot of debate and conflict resolution.

Senator Juaira: If your club might be going to 50 members next year how many would go to conference and how would you choose which students to take and how that all works with conferences.

Harry: Different universities that have large membership have different members apply to go. It also depends on their transportation needs. 20-40 go depending on club size. What we will probably do is have training simulations in the months prior to evaluate members and at least find which ones are interested and judge that they have the skills to go. Right now, depending on how many we have going to the first conference we may take everyone but right now we're coming up with events with the Middlebury Model UN club and trying to talk to the Dartmouth Model UN to hold training events to provide an extra arena for training and prep that varies greatly. We can't say until we get there.

Vote on Bill Recognizing International Relations Club - Passes

Emergency Business

Bill Allocating Funds to Nordic Ski Team

Chair Mallea: Sorry this had to come under emergency business. I'll read bill and then explain the request. [*reads bill*]. This is a sizeable request. We have been talking about this request since the beginning of November when it was first submitted. Basically, the situation that's happened with Nordic Ski Club is that they weren't given a budget because their president didn't follow the budget process and basically screwed the club over. They have been operating without a budget this first semester. This semester they came in to work with the Finance Committee and Treasurer Salsgiver and had meetings with us and requested about \$7,000 and we narrowed it to \$5,000 for the rest of semester. This will allow them to go to 4 tournaments and for 6 more weeks of practice with transportation on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for the next 6 weeks.

Open the Floor for Questions

Chair Morgan: How well do they fundraise?

Chair Mallea: They have about \$2,000 currently.

Senator Dougherty: Point of Information: We had \$2,000 but then we bought uniforms so that went down because they are very expensive.

Senator Yeager: Where do they get transported to, out of curiosity?

Senator Dougherty: There is a ski place called Sleepy Hollow where we practice. We all bought season passes there in the fall.

Senator Benner: This is a question regarding the business of the Finance Committee and is not meant to be at all accusatory. How often do we give clubs the exact amount they ask for?

Chair Mallea: Very rarely.

Vote on Bill Allocating Funds to Nordic Ski Club - Passes

New Business

Chair Mallea: Bill Allocating Funds to Squash

Senator M. White: Voting Registration Act of 2011

Chair Adams: Bill recognizing ZEST.

Executive Reports

Speaker Chevrier: Hi friends. I'm really tired. And so I wanted to apologize for the haphazard email I sent out sending you the agenda. It was from a computer that was larger than me and I paid sheqels to use it and then it froze the minute I sent the email which is why the minutes didn't come at same time and then I later sent them from a cell phone and sent it to senate @uvm not senate list so that's also that's why you didn't get them until today. We will vote to approve them next meeting. Constitution Committee right now chairs write on your voting records who your person is. If you don't write it on there I will find you and harass you. I will send out for those of you who are volunteering a doodle tonight. Please fill out by tomorrow maybe we can even get a meeting in this week. Also, there is some issue with legislation just like minute details so I will be printing that out and next week there will be a stack for you to re-sign and hopefully I'll be able to find the people who are no longer senators as well. Also, starting at 7:00. I know it's first meeting but please try and get here at 7:00, which very few of you did today. Then, so I was going over the evaluations that you all did for me. I wanted to thank you for your feedback. A lot of you mentioned there are things people are doing that are distracting/ I understand that maybe you listen better if you're doodling but it's possible that people next aren't able because you are doodling so be mindful of things you are doing that are not just listening. I am going to start calling people out more. I want to quickly remind people that you are supposed to abstain for things you are a part of. If I were to bring together the Claire is Cool club I would have to abstain on that vote. Another thing was that I speak a lot. I will accept that I speak a lot and I do with bills coming up and on public forum. I understand that might be frustrating. Before I volunteered to be brought up for Speaker I checked the Constitution thoroughly to make sure there wasn't anything about not being allowed to participate. I probably wouldn't have gone for this job if there was. It just says I have to pass over the gavel. If you don't like that I give my opinion and think that I would be better by being quiet and just running the meeting I won't take offense. A few of you in my evals said I should keep doing it and a few said I shouldn't. If you feel strongly about it please shoot me an email.

Vice President Maciewicz: Welcome back, a lot has happened since we've been gone. Hopefully you had a relaxing break with much needed rest and relaxation. We have had some sad news. We lost some members over break. Senator Malloy, Senator Willis, and Senator Rizvanovic and Chair Nelson as of today. I forwarded her resignation to the listserv. That means we have 7 vacancies that we will be filling next week. Chairs, before you send Claire her people you need to send someone to the appointment committee. It can be the same person but I didn't want to commit anyone to a whole year. We will be meeting soon. I'm only rushing this because we have a retreat on the 29th and would like to have a full body to enjoy and learn. President Mensah and I are opening up the chair selection process tomorrow. I will Email you where there is an application on the Lynx and you can apply. You don't have to be on AA and I encourage you all to apply if you feel like you would be a good leader. In the meantime I have asked Senator Allegger to be the acting chair. He will receive no preference if he should choose to apply. We will set a deadline so if you should want to do it and want to interview think about it and the applications should be up by noon tomorrow. If you have questions, come talk to us after the meeting and we can explain the chair process. We also might be in need of a new elections chair. Senator O'Brien does not know if she wants to continue doing it. The stipulation is you cannot be running for a position. If you are a graduating senior or not willing to run for senate you might want to be the chair. I will let you know when she decides. For the option of a referendum there needs to be an operational document change for that to happen. There is no process to run it. If that's interesting to you think about being elections chair, it's not just once a year job. The retreat is January 29. I ask you to reserve 9-5 although it won't take the whole time. I have not quite fit everyone in yet. I'll have a draft by the end of week of a final schedule. If you can't make any or all of the retreat you need to

be excused by me. It is mandatory. It will be fun, there is food, both breakfast and lunch and lots of coffee. Office improvements, signs for desks are coming in. Office signs for the hallways, new door, bookcases. The walls are filled and there is new artwork in Kofi and my office. One on ones, I am going to ask 2 random senators a week to have a one on one. I tried to do it voluntarily but I think people were scared so I am going to send an invite to meet with me so you can go through pain chairs go through. Student Advisory Council has finally been approved. 25 students from all over campus meet with Fogel and the senior leadership team 4 times a semester to advise him on what students want and what they want from us. Some of us are on it. If you are interested in applying it would be good to come talk to me and see if we are on the same page. There is a nice press release going to the student body from Kofi and I and the president. Campus Wide Appointments I will save that for next week because I don't want to overload you all. Office hours need to be reposted. There need to be 15 per desk or 7.5 if you are sharing your desk. Everyone needs to do at least 1 hour. You can switch it other ways but it needs to be from Monday through Friday and 8:00-4:30 and posted. Let Jess or I know if you need help finding a committee meeting time/place. This offer is good for a while but not for too long because Jess and I are busy. You need to let me know where you are meeting. It is an open meeting so someone could come and sit in. That's that. One more thing for clarification, I said I would before I left I collected my stipend for 3 out of 4 weeks and I can write out why I am collecting hours. Welcome back and let's have a good semester.

President Mensah: Welcome back, I hope you had an enjoyable month's break from campus.

Hopefully you got to rest and geared up for another 12 senate meeting because that's how many we have left until we leave on April 12. There are a few things I'm going to cover, priority registration and where that stands, publishable course evaluations, student fees, semester evaluations the library and Dunkin' donuts and SGA. Where we stand with Publishable Course Evaluations is on Dec 17 David and I met with the senior administration, the Provost and Senior Vice President Jane Knodell and Vice President of Enrollment Management Chris Lucier as well as the Vice President I forget his exact title but Gary Derr and Tom Gustafson where we talked about the boycott and how they felt. They felt as if they were dealing with an ultimatum and saw it as a threat and weren't pleased. I guess that is a natural response to have. The focus of the dialogue was what questions that we wanted to be on there weren't even sent to them before we had asked them to commit to something. The issue was that they felt they still weren't appropriate and I stuck to what senate said and why we see need them to be made available and the fact that we didn't hear any word back as to whether they had even received email or were contemplating it. Follow up is going to be a meeting that I am going to set up a committee of students. I request for any students and more from Academic Affairs to be continuing the conversation with the curricular or student affairs in the Faculty senate to move on with next seeps of course evaluations. More so pressing is a meeting this Friday with the student affairs committee from 10-12 pm in Waterman and we are asking for an SGA rep to go over to look at the different sides to the publishable course evaluations where they stand and where we stand. If there are any students that are interested in going to that meeting please let me know shortly and I can send it out to senate. That was it if you have questions I can take them afterwards. With priority registration, David and I are pleased to announce that Provost Knodell is explaining the new registration process and will shortly send out email to the whole student body that is explaining the new registration process that comes from pretty much what was stated in the resolution passed by senate early on. The are going to continue with a pilot 2 tiered groups such as ACCESS, Honors College, and Advocats are going to have priority but no more than 50% of students from these groups. Their supervisors have to specify no more than 50 to have over all priority. The rest within that group in calls priority registration. With first year students they no longer register that Monday. You will now be moved to Thursday to register with sophomores so it's just a class ahead. There is a sort of stipulation where the Honors College or Athletes are faced with a real challenges that no more than 50% can be given priority with the Provost still making a case review and making appropriate accommodations if more can have overall. The second thing is break in enhanced information in registration. There isn't an overall syllabus. Their first committee from faculty senate proposed a solution to give more students enough information for

registering for classes. They will make improvements to courses so they won't be bound for a month's break or a couple of months during summer break when they have to provide syllabi. New template descriptions or an enhanced description of course. No more just the paragraph either a whole syllabus or an enhanced description. They hope to have a better sense of the course and expectations. It should have tentative coursework and evaluations and proposed books and readings for class. Both will be put in place for Spring 2011 registration for Fall 2011 classes. I am going to talk a little about the proposed FY12 budget. I had two meetings, one where myself, David, and Liz went to at end of semester to talk about the comprehensive student fee. I passed it around. Certain fees are going up next semester. Room and board is going up about 4%, the Davis Center Fee by about 3%, Transportation by 3% and Athletics by 3%. They tried to keep as many fee increases down as possible because they know there is financial constraints in people's pockets but the fees they are trying to increase are ones that come from, for instance transportation, you spend more on transportation to increase the percentage increase because the cost of running the bus increases because of gas, fringe benefits for drivers. I mentioned the Davis Center fee is increasing 3% \$533 to \$561 dollars. This is all proposed and tentative. We won't find out until the board decides a lot of questions that students on the senate body have been in relations to the Davis Center why do we pay such a huge fee. The building cost about \$60,000,000 to build and did they have the money up front? To clarify a little bit up front we call the Davis Center a student center because a lot of students come here for activities and meetings but officially it's more a campus center for different groups and organizations to put on events to hold meetings, whatever it may be. As I mentioned, it cost about \$60,000,000 to build and there is \$49,000,000 more left to pay off the building. That's how much it's still in debt. It could take a couple of decades to pay off. That's the nature of these buildings. They raise a certain amount of money that wasn't there yet and use the Davis Center fee to help pay for some of those fees that are needed to maintain the building and keep it running. It's an income expense type of building. Aside from the fees that come from the comprehensive fee, they need revenue generating activities to help keep it running. The building managers, work-study clears it up a little bit. Pat told me earlier about 80% of revenue comes from the fee students pay.

Senator M. White: I did the math and a 3% is \$549.

President Mensah: I didn't do the math myself. The next item I want to talk about the SGA semester evaluations for some exec positions and chair positions and within that we need feedback in order to assess your job properly and to make improvements for your position. I was disappointed of the turnout to fill out the evaluations. Only 22 people filled out evaluations. I extended the deadline. It wasn't a simple matter, Jess had to go over to each survey and change the timeline from the Tuesday deadline. Why only 22 senators filled out the semester evaluations for the exec branch and Speaker Chevrier didn't make sense when we just boycotted course evaluations so we can see what others saying. It made no sense that we are advocating for one thing that would take about 35 minutes and only 22 students filled it out. I don't know, to me it doesn't look good on the body when a few weeks ago we were asking to see what people are saying about professors so they can make improvements. Not only for exec branch and Speaker Chevrier but also for chairs there were only a few per committee. It's weird because if you want chairs to make improvements you need to take the time to give them these evaluations. Some chairs did have meetings with their members so feedback was already given and I'm appreciative of that. If chairs didn't give you the opportunity or chance to tell them of their track record from the previous semester to have the opportunity to grow and be a stronger chair and serve you better. To address about my evaluations. I received positive feedback on large scale people were not necessarily aware of. One or two students asked questions and we'll go over more about the role of the exec positions during the retreat. I really don't come late to senate when the meetings do start at 7:00. They start at 7:00 meeting here for quorum is you start senate business senate members. We are ex officio members and come here to give reports. We don't necessarily come for everything. In years past the exec branch would only come to senate meeting to give their report and leave. I wanted to clarify. Most of time I am running from other meetings I have at 6:30 or 6:45 and I'm not in too much of a rush. You all are needed to start at 7:00. The exec branch, we report weekly activities to the body clear it up just a little bit. The Presidential

Campus Leadership meeting about the budget for FY10 and gave an explanatory operating budget presentation at the February 4 Board of Trustees meeting proposing things for the Board of Trustees to look over. The university received 20,000 applicants for Fall 2012. You are going to see the budget cuts because state is facing a \$100,000,000 shortfall. We are hoping we get level funding which is let's say the state of Vermont decides to give us \$100,000,000 for one year, the next year they will give that as well. As much as they gave us last year they will also give us this year, who knows. We don't find out until June if I'm correct. A quick thing about the Affirmative Action Director search. We looked through 3 dozen applicants to move on to the next stage in a conference call we looked through and had a system we had come up with and advanced 8 applicants and will be conducting phone interviews with candidates next week. I am also restructuring the Board of Trustees timeline. Typically, each president does 3, they do May, October, and then February. The reason why is that it makes more sense for the outgoing president to write the May report because it is guaranteed for one that president outgoing more so than an incoming president. They might not know what to write about but more the old president has more grounding. When I came in last year I had no idea that I was doing when giving May report. The outgoing President Bryce Jones said you have a week and a half. So I was catching up and getting used to my position and was expected to write huge report. This year and in the years onwards the President will write the October, February, and May and start off with following school year. Whoever takes the role of president in April can make sure when writing it they are part of the process so they know what to write and invite them to the may Board of Trustees meeting and introduce them. I'm working on notifying the proper people pretty sure this is something that they would prefer to the current system. Dunkin Donuts and SGA. One of the goals that I've brought to SGA this year is visibility on campus. What better way than free Dunkin Donuts in the SGA lounge? We will have free Dunkin coffee and munchkins if you come into the lounge. It's a chance for them to come in and talk to senators that are in the office. They can find a few minutes to come to the office and talk to students that are there. Things that we hear from students are who is a senator who represents us? Doing things like that increase our presence on campus and helps people to know where our office is located and what our resources are. As Pat put it it's like a new version of Coffee with Fogel which used to happen my first year. President Fogel would come on campus and students would come and interact with him and ask him different questions.

Open the Floor for Questions

Senator M. White: Just to clarify, could you flip to the other thing? Ok what you've got up there is \$533 to \$651, which is actually 6%. Is it supposed to be \$543 to \$561?

Chair Adams: I was wondering if you were going to make evaluations public? I heard last semester you were going to make our evaluations public.

President Mensah: I will forward out the evaluations.

Chair Adams: Last semester you said they would be online for everyone to see.

President Mensah: That will come later. I will initially forward them to the senate listserv and work with Jess to put them online. I think we can just put them on the SGA website.

Chair Adams: How you can give a May report as SGA president when you are not president and how would you have the power to do that?

President Mensah: When I talked it over with the exec branch and Pat earlier it came up if there was an issue with me as leaving and going out of my position and giving the report. I guess there is nothing that bars me from doing it even though I'm no longer holding the title because if correct that's how GSS does it as it was done last year. They have a later outgoing time I said these are the logistics that I'm going to be working on with folks from Waterman. From how the thought process is it would just be easier. If I've been a part of senate this year and have already

been writing from October to February and know what's going on more so than an incoming president that is worrying about transitioning and grasping the situation and the position. That report covers the whole year and we can't guarantee that the new president served on senate the year before.

Chair Adams: How do you have the power to make that switch?

Speaker Chevrier: Point of Information: It does say in the Constitution that the President has to give Board of Trustees reports and you would no longer be the president.

President Mensah: We can do it with a constitutional amendment or further dialogue with the incoming president.

Chair Morgan: How are application numbers this year compared with years past?

President Mensah: I think VP Cate said that the numbers almost exceeded what we received last year. The past two years for incoming students have been around the 19,000 number.

Senator Lederer-Plaskett: To follow up with how you plan on bringing about these discussions when you will no longer be president just because it seems like constitutionally it can't happen. Is there an actual constitutional amendment that should reflect that with subsequent president be giving 2 reports? I just question the balance of power and the ability to suddenly give more reports.

President Mensah: It will balance out I'm trying to simplify it for next year and the following year they will continue to give 3 as in past. For me it seems better for the outgoing president would only give one at the end of this year. This only time that I'd be giving a report in May. In October and for February and May it will be the next year's president.

Senator Lederer-Plaskett: Who would be funding free donuts and is that from club funding?

President Mensah: I got funding and asked Blanka about and it should be fine.

Speaker Chevrier: I wanted to say that I'm impressed with the amount of work you did over break. Are the fees for compensation increasing because of compensation for workers?

Treasurer Salsgiver: That's for fringe benefits for workers, which are things like increasing healthcare costs and services.

Speaker Chevrier: I guess I don't know, maybe we can talk more during forum, it looks when you see this list that SGA is going up by 6% the gut reaction is the Davis Center increasing there's money in galaxy space. We no longer have that ability to decrease fees that I think should go down because we're increasing our own budget by so much.

President Mensah: The meeting that we had last week in December they said it looks like we submitted a proposed fee increase.

Speaker Chevrier: Lastly I want to point out in the constitution under presidential requirements it says you have to attend the meetings and you should be here for all of the meetings.

Chair Monteforte: On the Board of Trustees report thing, I like the idea I think it would be cool if the past president had a chance to introduce the new president. That was a well thought out and put together report on your behalf.

Chair Adams: What fund is money coming from?

Treasurer Salsgiver: It's from the President's Discretionary Fund which means it's for them to decide.

President Mensah: Treasurer Salsgiver has done a great job going over the budget and how it works and has come to one or 2 meetings, but also to sent information to the listserv. Whenever a fee or activity is talked about from SGA, don't assume that's coming out from club money. A large portion of our funds are reserved for clubs but not every dollar is for clubs, some is for other operating costs.

Vice President Maciewicz: And a Davis Center money clarification, we are doing a lot of changes but the total is like \$360 and we do have money we save to buy things like new vans, but we're talking about amounts that would nowhere near come up our shortfall when we're facing like a quarter million dollar shortfall. I don't have a secret nest egg of like \$100,000.

Chair Adams: I do love the idea of coffee and donuts but I think it would be better if we bring it out to the student body in places that student hang out to get more student impact and be where they are.

Chair Mallea: You already answered my question about where the money is coming from with the President's Discretionary Fund. Did we fill out a catering waiver since it's not provided by Sodexo?

President Mensah: I'm working on that.

Senator Bennington: You said somewhere that the fee increases are for salary increases. Did Richard give you information as to whose salary is going up or do you have a list of names and increases?

President Mensah: He had a PowerPoint that he put up. It didn't list a name but it did show salary increases. And people that make a certain amount, if I'm correct, are not going up. I think it's \$87,000. I can ask him to send me that slide from last week to clarify. That's a great point that you bring up that costs of people that are working with the university go up every year.

Senator Caster: As you mentioned, the financing that is unrelated to the Davis Center such as weddings, that only accounts for 20% of financing while students have 80%? So projects are 20% and 80% are students?

Pat Brown: Yes, in any given year 20% of the income from the building comes from non-student fees.

Senator Mason: I don't know if this came up before but thinking of DC fee in general, I like the idea with you giving the report thing and collaborating and then he can present it but do it together then it's constitutional. With the Davis Center fee so since the students pay 80% of it, I'm basically trying to understand why we have to pay to use the space. So why do clubs have to pay to use it when clubs have already paid for it. You see how that seems criminal?

Pat Brown: Student organizations don't pay for the space, they pay for services. There is no rent but if there's services needed, like setting up the tables for this meeting, that's passed along to the organization. This happens across the campus and your predecessors set that up with the fees and the amount access. That was shaped by predecessors from SGA. There is no rental space. If an off campus person uses it they pay for space and rental fees if they need services. There is no rental fee for this space.

President Mensah: I want to point that I wanted to say about the outgoing report is exactly how you mentioned. It would be collaborative with myself as the outgoing president and the incoming person will be present at the May BOT meeting. The outgoing president will read the report and

at the end he or she will take a moment to recognize the new President. I saw this in place last year when the outgoing president of GSS Melanie Brown took a moment to recognize the incoming president and I felt it was very professional and well done and the outgoing president can capture in the report what happened than the incoming person who has come in a few weeks before. They have served on senate for a full year. You don't need to be a senator to run for President or Vice President.

Senator Caster: Has there been conversation on corporate sponsors, having seen AT&T in the Davis Center before, as a way to alleviate increases like this and the Davis Center costs in general?

President Mensah: I'm not sure yet but that's a conversation that can happen. I just had one more thing I wanted to mention which deals with library during finals week. They closed at midnight including the cyber café and a lot of people were upset and emailed me. The Friday that classes had ended on Thursday and there was a reading day on Friday. The library didn't have it translate over to them that there were finals on Saturday morning and there had never been Saturday finals before so they closed the library. That isn't right because you want to be studying a few hours before exam to make sure they know everything. I called over and spoke to a few people and looked like a mistake on their part. It was the first time there were finals on Saturday and throughout the next few weeks we will continue conversation more facility to be open 24 hour type of library. If you do open the library at least the main floor 24 hours needs personnel to staff it, so I'm looking into that 24-hour library study point.

Senator M. White: Point of Information: I have a meeting with the Dean of the library Maura on Friday afternoon.

Treasurer Salsgiver: Over break I spent time responding to club signers answering budget questions and meeting with them. In the last week or so I've been preparing for the Treasurer's workshops. There are two next week on Monday and Tuesday nights from 7-8:30. There have never been spring workshops but a lot of clubs switch based on the calendar year and I thought it would be helpful for incoming club signers to be given the information now rather than in the fall. Chair Adams is holding a mini policy workshop at end of my presentation. I'm training new part time employee who is replacing the woman who used to help in the office. I have been working with Leon on having financial aid for members of club sports with dues exceeding \$500. There is nothing finalized and no funds set up but we are kind of researching. The Audit Committee meeting for the Board of Trustees and the Student fee meeting and Senator Mason, I don't know if anyone answered your question where you mentioned about why we pay that money for the Davis Center. From what I understand the Davis Center was something like \$70,000,000 to build and the down payment was somewhere below \$20,000,000 so were are paying for the building over time. That is what I understood. I didn't take a stipend.

Committee Reports

Finance

Chair Mallea: First off, before we do official business I want to wish a happy birthday to Senator Juaire. Thank you for passing the Nordic Ski bill. They appreciate it very much. We met with 4 clubs this week and we allocated money to UVM women's club basketball for new uniforms. I did a lot of work over break and did not collect stipend with the budget as it is due next Monday.

Student Activities

Chair Adams: Hi friends. Thanks for recognizing International Relations. ZEST will be coming up next week. They are doing some last minute paperwork. If that doesn't happen they will be tabled for the same reason International Relations Club was last semester. I just figured it would be better to put it on your radar than to bring it up under emergency business. Another club is trying to pursue recognition. Since we're talking about feedback I met with my committee to get feedback and put that into action. If any of you have feedback I would love to hear it. Winter

Activities Week was supposed to be this week. Obviously that's not happening. We collaborated with Student Life and the Davis Center but our reservation got cancelled. Traditionally it is held later in January. Leon and myself are looking into a time near the end of January or the beginning of February to work out well for clubs. We're significantly smaller which is why I don't have a better update. Without Senator Willis and Senator Malloy we're hurting again. For the people I was trying to steal before, I would still love to steal you and if you have anyone else that would be a good fit for SAC send them my way. Sports medicine was Malloy's bill so I'm going to rewrite it, since he is in London. Someone will be taking over in terms of that. Club point allocations will be done before budgets hopefully if anyone wants to do 1, 2 or 20 I had 69 to do with the resignations. The Spring Policy Workshop is technically in the constitution mandatory for all club signers. Traditionally that hasn't happened and I'm not planning on doing it but if we feel like it needs to be done it can be but I will be speaking at the treasurer's workshop for new signers. Please do not give false information to clubs signers, it's a frustration to Chair Mallea and Treasurer Salsgiver. Please direct them to us if you don't know the answer because when we give the wrong answer people hold us to our word the same as we hold them to theirs. Welcome back, it was a busy break.

Open the Floor for Questions

Senator Vitagliano: Just maybe an idea, when you meet with the clubs, as your committee does, can you get feedback if they think that the policy workshop would be beneficial to that club and take that information to see if you hold the workshop?

Chair Adams: Assuming the new Treasurers have to go to Treasurer Salsgiver's workshop I assume that is the same clubs that switch club signers. Generally the feedback I've gotten is do a spring one and fall one and one be mandatory. That results in collaboration between chairs, which is difficult.

Chair Mallea: Quick question that is non-related, is there a policy that we go by when club signers go abroad and then they're not there for budget planning?

Chair Adams: Right now we don't. I added the question to the winter update sheet. Jess is supposed to be consolidating them. I know she's been super busy but I haven't seen it yet. It is something worth looking into the by laws about but with the loss of Malloy and Willis I've been doing club point sheets not rewriting.

Speaker Chevriar: If you are wanting to amend the constitution so you are not in violation, that was added last year, that's why the Constitution Committee is here and someone can point it out last time it was opened.

Chair Adams: Awesome. Also winter activities happen every year and have replaced the policy workshop.

COLA

Chair Morgan: Friday is Community Coalition. We don't have a lot on our plate we're going over some phases of the Community Coalition Common Ground Summit on Saturday in Billings North Lounge from 11-3. They put on this thing called Community Coalition Common Ground Summit. People from the Burlington Police to CEDO, people from every walk of life in Burlington go. 60 people spend the day talking about issues that face us and good things came out of the summit last year so they're having it again. Specifically, we have a couple presentations but talk about residents and students can make a difference and create a better relationship and be more focused on issues that they share in common. Good things happened last year would enjoy seeing you there this year. That's all I've got.

CODEEE

Chair Herman: Hello everyone, welcome back. Just to touch on some of my feedback. I expected at most 3 to do mine since I lost 2 people before it came out. So 2 out of 3 did them. Those two were pretty much the complete opposite of each other, which confused me a lot. As far as ALANA retention goes from one person felt like it was my own agenda so I'm not pushing it on the group. I'll be working on that by myself. It's not tabled it's just something I'll be working by myself on so I have my meetings. Also, myself and Senator Vitagliano have been trying to reach out to Elliot Nelson. I received from Vice President Maciewicz regarding some type of efforts on suicide prevention via Senator Asher Lober. We reached out to him and have not yet got a response back from him as soon as he responds I will try to set up a meeting. Also been in touch with the Red Cross and hope to have some initial meetings but they haven't gotten back to Senator Vitagliano yet. VSTEP I emailed VSTEP and we are going to try to do some collaborations in the UVM community to advocate about the environment seeing that when it happens make an issue meetings to go out to communities like Black Student Union to collaborate with them and work with them on the environmentally friendly things we do. Things to look out for. I had a meeting with Beverly Colston and she sent her student center staff thank us for passing the resolution on the proposal for capital ranking. She is actually writing a letter to SGA so look out for that. We are discussing where are they in that proposal and what's going on with that. The issue along with Senator Malloy for finals and they have a host of things that are happening for black history month. They are coming to Finance, I sent them your way so they will be coming to see you. Great activities when they come up for black history month. CODEEE's meetings are 5:00 on Monday in the Gormley room. Everyone's welcome.

Student Action

Chair Simmons: Hello everyone. We had our first committee meeting before this one it was a hoot. Senator Benner was there which was amazing. We are looking into late night food provided by clubs to benefit clubs through fundraising time and students by having food on campus. We're looking at library hours later and study options and will be meeting with them Friday. Student Bill of Rights, if there is anything you want to see in it send it to us. Bottled Water, we're working with Gioia Thompson and The Office of Sustainability and VSTEP as they have taken steps as well. The petition is there to support their work and integrate the work that those folks are also doing and Alyssa going to buy water bottles to give away to go along with this cause.

Open the Floor for Questions

Chair Morgan: With the Dining Services Committee have you talked at all about extended hours at marché? I've heard that if the Marché stays open until 1:00 on Friday and Saturday it won't open until 10 on the weekends.

Chair Simmons: I haven't heard it. We were planning to work with clubs for an extra chance to fundraise with out trying to tie in university dining services.

Chair Adams: Along those lines, I know they are looking into a late night pizza option by Coolidge on Redstone. Do you know if that will happen?

Chair Simmons: I will send out an email to Melissa Zelazny I will let you know what she says.

Senator Caster: I work with Melissa and I had a conversation with her and she wanted to know things like what kind of food to have available and how Sodexo will deal with late night student behavior and what to serve and what places open. These are questions they wanted answered through surveys and conversations.

Chair Simmons: I didn't plan on incorporating Sodexo. The Fireplace Lounge might be central for students and they would have access to it.

Public Relations

Chair Monteforte: I would be favor of a wing store on campus late night. Bring your attention to the screen. This is what I did with the 15 minutes before the meeting. *[plays video]*. I wanted to wake you up a bit with something exciting. Clarifying we are going to start talking about, VSOP, we will talk about that next week. VSOP 2 will be ready to present you. We will update you later if you have questions let us know.

Open the Floor for Questions

Chair Simmons: Could you get the bottled water ban up in the offices? We talked about that like a month ago.

Senator Benner: PR is going to continue going to other committee meetings. It has been very successful so please once your times are finalized send them along to Nick.

Academic Affairs

Acting Chair Alleger: Acting Chair Alleger here at your service. Academic Affairs is pushing forward with the things we do. The Gened committee, I can no longer be on that because of a time conflict. Senator Caster will be taking up all of those meetings. If you have any questions about Gened please feel free to ask this guy. The Curricular Affairs committee, which I am still serving on, is putting together a subcommittee on extending course descriptions. Kofi mentioned what sort of information will be on there. I am serving on the subcommittee so we can bring questions and suggestions to best represent everyone and that's what we do. The evaluation bit that's going on with Faculty senate and student affairs. I can't make it, I have class, but I suggest that anyone of you go support that. Yeah, if you want to be a chair, sign up, do it. You can head what is still the sexiest committee. Women are encouraged, as we would like to balance our gender ratio and increase our sexiness.

Senatorial Forum

Senator Lederer-Plaskett: Hi, basically I am bringing up today what will be the start of addressing an issue in students athletes sector of campus. It has been brought to my attention by several members of LGBT community in particular. It seems an informal but defined policy in the student athlete community that when going to away games female athletes must share beds but men don't. This strikes me as offensive. There is gender bias in that questions. I am going to start conversations there to be approached carefully. I'm seeking anyone interested in joining the discussion and also seeking information if anyone is close with a female or male athletes. Even if it's indirectly or an unofficial policy, it is grounds for a lawsuit for any male or female athlete that it's an implication of gender discrimination. in a school like UVM where we pride ourselves on being open it's shocking. Let me know if you are interested.

Chair Mallea: Are we talking about varsity sports or clubs sports?

Senator Lederer-Plaskett: Varsity

Senator Bennington: I believe it's university policy that no one is supposed to share beds. It's official policy but I don't know if that's followed.

Senator Lederer-Plaskett: I was looking into it with a member of the Soc department who has a gender studies and sexuality focus. While that might be on book as a statement they don't stop it. With Track and Field it's not the same for all teams that are more gender separated but there's it has been true and recorded as being true.

Senator Caster: This isn't related to that issue but if anyone could speak to Dr. Miller's resignation, along with academics who may be replacing her in the near future.

President Mensah: Point of Information: In her resignation, she's not leaving UVM she's just resigning from her position as Dean and she will be a full time Faculty member for the Sociology department but for the fall. For now she is taking time off.

Senator Caster: I was wondering if anyone had been a contender to replace her or if there are any conversations about that yet?

President Mensah: Not as of yet but I will notify you if that changes.

Speaker Chevrier: It's 3am in Israel and in my body. As far as the Dunkin Donuts money I was wondering if we can talk about how clubs can't spend their money on food and what our thoughts are as a body about violating a policy that we created for them. In previous years discretionary money for the President and Vice President has gone to things such as donations and if our having Dunkin Donuts is going to make it impossible for them to do that donation work. Also, with the Davis Center and Athletics fees, last year Nick Cafarelli, the Chair of Finance, looked in to the \$287 for athletic operations and what not and even if we went to every event we could have, it wouldn't come to that amount and there are not enough seats for everyone. He was looking at what the \$287 went to but he had a job with athletics and they told him to stop doing that information and he stopped. That \$287 I am paying to not get a hockey ticket that's absurd. As far as the Davis Center goes, I did the math, 561x10900 students would be 6 million going to the Davis Center not including the fact that students don't have the opportunity to rent space because of outside sources. If I wanted to do a policy workshop in the spring I might not be able to because there is a wedding that is here.

Chair Mallea: Point of Information: I brought that point up during the comprehensive fee meeting and I wasn't aware that they didn't consider it a student center and then expressed my frustrations but they haven't answered.

Speaker Chevrier: They got money from other place to build this building and it's able to be used by outside sources but we're still paying about \$6 million.

President Mensah: Point of Information: As far as priority that's a question others have had. We do get priority for the space but there is a deadline, it was Nov 1, to book space and April for the fall semester. After that deadline whoever is available from outside funding gets it. If we wanted to do it 2 weeks from now we can't because it's booked months in advance. Livak is booked years in advance for our meetings.

Chair Adams: Clubs have been kicked out of their space for outside vendors many times.

Chair Herman: I talked to the Director of Operations and they say they only have a certain number that they lease out and the rest is held for students on campus.

Speaker Chevrier: It is still absurd. I strongly believe that if we're paying \$561 a year we should be able to have access to the space and even if I book a year in advance if someone wants to pay a lot of money they will pay over me even though I have priority. That's bad and I know I bring it up a lot and it's probably getting annoying but we no longer have the ability to whine in front of the Board of Trustees because we are increasing our fee so much. Maybe the Davis Center should fundraise more or maybe clubs should fundraise more and increase their funding that way. As far as the library is concerned I know that chair of the Student Action Committee Tyler Wilkinson-Ray met with someone from the Library after a slew of tix-me-offs about the library closing early. They said they only would need one more person to do it and would look at how to have the funding. Maybe if you went into the meeting with that knowledge it would be helpful. I was unaware of the fact but someone told me Cook Commons is closed on the weekends again, which makes me angry. I no longer live on campus so I don't really care but someone should go talk to them. Someone else could have been pissed.

Chair Adams: To speak the Davis Center fee for what it is without the increase is the fact that it's going up seems like a lot. I want to reiterate that I don't think it's appropriate for someone who is not a member of senate giving a report since they aren't accountable to the body. If we have someone giving a report that is not accountable that is an issue. I believe that the officers for GSS were officers-elect and not actually in power. GSS is also drastically different from SGA as a whole.

Senator M. White: I wanted to bring this up before, I know Claire sent out an email about possibly opening up the op docs, but my better angels Jesse and Amanda convinced me not to. I wanted to bring up the fact that we are fast approaching 20% of the body being appointed and us calling ourselves an elected body when 1/5 of our members, not that aren't doing great work, they are wonderful people, but maybe trying to curb the use of elected. Number 2 it has been brought to my attention that the divide is 60%-40% on-campus vs. off-campus living, but senate is 50-50. This means off-campus is overrepresented so maybe we can discuss changing that. Thirdly, representation we don't have any nurses and a nurse brought up that because of high vandalism rates, they now have to wear identification in Rowell and feels upset because she is the only one that has to do it. Maybe we can have a discussion about that and not do it off-campus and on-campus but by college proportionally. I would love to hear thoughts on any of those 3.

Speaker Chevrier: By doing it by college, if you look at the constitution you cannot operate if no nurse wants to do it or if no one from Arts and Sciences want to. You can't do it like that because can't operate. Constitution Committee will be looking into the 50/50 split and whether to reevaluate that.

Senatorial Comments/Announcements

Senator Lederer-Plaskett: As usual, I have one delightful 2 yr old pit bull puppy looking for a home. She was left on the Brooklyn Bridge during the last big snow storm and it almost killed her and her owners left her out there to die. She is a sweetheart but she is tearing apart my parent's house and they would like to get her out of the house. If you are interested in a pit bull let me know.

Senator Moise: This is for Senator White can you go into detail about the nursing thing and vandalism thing?

Senator M. White: Yes, she approached me over break and said that she got an email from the Dean of the nursing school saying they have to wear identification in Rowell because there has been big problem with vandalism. It's only nurses and they have to wear their IDs on lanyards. It's a strange new policy I've had a class in Rowell and didn't have to wear it which seems odd if they have to. That was it and it was just the hypocrisy and the weirdness of it. She just wanted to bring it to my attention and I'll look into it.

Senator Fitzgerald: I just wanted to announcement that it's Lucas' birthday on Thursday so someone should make him have fun this weekend, he's turning 21.

Chair Adams: I want to again congratulate Chair Monteforte on being Chair Chair Monteforte as he is now chair of Program Board as well. It's winter blitz so there is free stuff all week and it comes from your Davis Center fee so take advantage. There will be free coffee from 11-3 and they are giving away fun hats.

Chair Monteforte: Point of Information: From 10-2

Chair Adams: If you like Program Board on facebook and write your favorite winter activity you get a hat. Also there is free food downstairs at nine.

Chair Monteforte: Winter Blitz, tell your friends. There is free stuff like mugs for coffee at 10 in the Davis Center and many events where you can get free hats. There concert tonight at 9 in Brennan's.

Roll Call

Finance: All Present

Student Activities: All Present

COLA: Senator Sadeghi, unexcused

CODEEE: Senator McLemore, excused

Student Action: All Present

Public Relations: Senator O'Brien, excused

Academic Affairs: Senator Filstein, excused

Adjournment

End Time: 8:51p