Universal Waste - Light Bulbs and Ballasts

All light bulbs and ballasts should be collected and disposed of through UVM's hazardous waste program. Light bulbs and ballasts fall under a different set of regulations and are considered Universal Waste.

These procedures are the same if you are an outside contractor or work for a department at the University of Vermont (i.e. Residential Life / Physical Plant).

Waste Disposal - Main Page



Welcome to UVM's waste disposal page!

If you are working in a UVM laboratory, follow this link (Laboratory Waste) for specific disposal information and procedures. All other UVM departments and staff can find answers to common waste questions below.


Call 911 to report any emergency.  

911 from a UVM campus landline phone (e.g. 656-####) will be answered at UVM's Police Services e-911 center.

911 from a cell phone will be answered by the nearest available e-911 center. Most likely, this will be the Vermont State Police barracks in Williston, VT.  

Building, IAQ and Egress

Building-Related Safety Concerns

Many safety concerns focus on general building conditions.  Campus personnel may notice that a stair tread has come loose, that clutter or bicycles are blocking an egress.



UVM Police Services is a Fully sworn police agency with statewide authority, whose primary role is public safety.  To report a crime, leave a tip, check campus security alerts, or for lost and found, see their page at or call 802 656-3473.

Safety Policies

UVM Policies and Procedures

The following is a list of some of UVM's safety-related policies (click to download the policy as pdf).  You can view and download all official UVM policies at UVM Policies and Procedures Page.

Safety Home

At UVM, safety is a partnership and a shared responsibility, requiring the active involvement of people in all departments and positions. Whether you work in or use a laboratory, art studio, or an outdoor location off-site -- our goal is to help you be as safe as possible. If you don't find what you're looking for here, please contact us at

Syndicate content