4-H Members Win Awards at Vermont State Fair
- By Kimberly Ann Griffin
Rutland--Several 4-H'ers from Bennington and Rutland Counties earned awards and recognition at the Vermont State Fair for their 4-H project work and achievements.
Seventy-two 4-H exhibitors, ages 5 to 18, participated in culinary, horticulture and other competitions; dairy, horse and dog shows; and public speaking and photography contests at the Aug. 14-18 fair. An awards ceremony, emceed by 4-H'ers Colby Butler, Dorset, and Alexia Diaz, Rutland, was held Saturday evening on the Sugar House Stage.
Breanna Munger, Benson, was the recipient of the McKirryher Family Watch Award, presented to the Rutland County 4-H club member who earns the highest number of points for 4-H exhibits, demonstrations and leadership activities at the fair. This year marked the 85th year of the award. Breanna also received the Special Homemaker's Award.
Other 4-H'ers earning special recognition were:
- Kayla Hiller Nedobity 4-H Leadership Award, the Rutland County Agricultural Society Officers and Trustees Award and the 4-H Leadership Award: Rose Tarbell, Middletown Springs
- Munchkin Farm 4-H Kitchen Award: Killyen Whitcomb, Rutland
- Rev. Olaf Johnson Memorial Award: Betsy Coburn, Castleton
- Ruth Kirchner Memorial Award, Junior: Lorryn Trujillo, North Clarendon
- Ruth Kirchner Memorial Award, Senior: Evelyn Trujillo, North Clarendon
Individual award winners in each department were:
CONSERVATION: RCSWD Recycled Material Award--Rose Tarbell, Middletown Springs; Crossman Award--Tayah Fuller, Poultney
- Will B. Davis Award and the Frank Bovey Award--Rose Tarbell, Middletown Springs; Rob Hathaway Award--Lorryn Trujillo, North Clarendon; Pauline Bovey Award--Caleb Sprague, East Wallingford; Ethier Acres Award-- Kadence Cardi, Rutland; Rutland County Awards: Senior--Evelyn Trujillo, North Clarendon; Junior--Lorryn Trujillo, North Clarendon; Kathy Peck Award--Jack Bartholomew, Benson; Rita Tracey Award and Henry Daley Sr. Memorial Award (senior)--Abigail Armstrong, Granville, New York; Henry Daley Sr. Memorial Award (junior)--Jack Bartholomew, Benson
- Dan Hornbeck Dairy Knowledge Awards: Senior--Abigail Armstrong, Granville, New York; Junior--Owen Seward, East Wallingford; Novice--Kadence Cardi, Rutland
- Dairy Herdsperson Awards: Senior Herdsperson--Evelyn Trujillo, North Clarendon; Junior Herdsperson--Owen Seward, East Wallingford; Novice Herdsperson--Caleb Sprague, East Wallingford; Best Club Herd--Otter Creek Dairy Club, Clarendon
- Outstanding Dairy Breed Exhibitors: Ayrshire--Jack Bartholomew, Benson; Brown Swiss and Holstein--Rose Tarbell, Middletown Springs; Jersey, Guernsey and Milking Shorthorn--Abigail Armstrong, Granville, New York
- Premier Exhibitor: Owned animal--Abigail Armstrong, Granville, New York; Leased animal-- Jack Bartholomew, Benson
DOGS: Best of Show (Obedience)--Kelsey Adams, Pittsford
FINE ARTS AND CRAFTS: Heleba Award--Breanna Munger, Benson
FOODS (COOKING AND BAKING): Best in Show--Colby Butler, Dorset; Top Baker--Kerry Crossman, Castleton
FOOD PRESERVATION: Orrie Graham Award--Tristin Sumner, Granville, New York
HORSES: Best Decorated Stall and the Equine Award: Emeillia Gomo, Chester; Most Improved: Seanna Erickson, Florence; High Point Award: Betsy Colburn, Castleton; Sportsmanship Award: Alexia Diaz; Rutland
HORTICULTURE: Williams Farmstead Award (junior show person)--Breanna Munger; Otter Valley Supply Award; (senior show person)--Kerry Crossman, Castleton; Best in Show flowers/plants--Breanna Munger, Benson; Ava Potter, Rutland; Emma Seward, Wallingford
PHOTOGRAPHY: Boyce Family Award--Owen Greeno, Rutland; Martin/Giffin Award--Megan Chipka, Rutland; Sabatino Award and Best Black-and-White Photo--Emeillia Gomo, Chester; Best in Show Awards: Best Person(s) and/or Animal(s) Photo--Owen Greeno, Rutland; Best Scenic Photo--Hannah Bertrand, Brandon; Best Sequence of three Photos Telling Story--Betsy Coburn, Castleton; Most Creative Selfie--Breanna Munger, Benson; Best Color Photo--Cheyenne Steves, Fair Haven
PUBLIC SPEAKING: Monroe Public Speaking Award (senior)--Alexia Diaz, Rutland; Monroe Public Speaking Award (junior)--Kelsey Adams, Pittsford
RABBITS: Best in Show and Best fur--Killyen Whitcomb, Rutland; Best Opposite in Show-- Kerry Crossman, Castleton; Best Grade and People's Choice--Breanna Munger, Benson
SEWING AND FIBER CRAFTS: Bald Peak Homemakers Awards--Samantha Senn, Benson; Charlton Family Award and the Knitting Award--Breanna Munger Benson; Collett Family Needlework Award--Emeillia Gomo, Chester
STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math): Best in Show, Machines--Wyatt Tarbell, Middletown Springs; Best in Show, Circuits, Things That Go, LEGOs--Ann Fiegel, Arlington; Best in Show, Digital--Megan Chipka, Rutland
To learn more about the 4-H program in Bennington and Rutland Counties, contact UVM Extension 4-H educator Kimberly Griffin at firstname.lastname@example.org.