4-H'ers Judge Cows at Blue Mountain Dairy
- By Wendy M. Sorrell
Brookfield--Vermont 4-H dairy members gathered at the Blue Mountain Dairy in Brookfield on June 26 for the annual state 4-H dairy judging contest.
The 54 competitors judged five classes of different breeds at the University of Vermont (UVM) Extension 4-H event. Up to 10 rosette ribbons were awarded in each age group. Dean Wright of Enosburgh served as the event's official and was assisted by 4-H teen Cole Goodhue, Fairfield, and Wendy Sorrell, UVM Extension 4-H livestock educator.
Winners by age group were:
- 8- and 9-year-olds: Alexa Graham, Westfield (first); Charles Young, Randolph (second); Andrew Fors, Randolph (third); Kenzie Breitmeyer, Glover (fourth); Bryn Nelson, Ryegate (fifth)
- 10- and 11-year-olds: Gabriel Michaud, East Hardwick (first); Alyssa Frazier, Berlin (second); Christian Haynes, East Montpelier (third); Susanna Nelson, Ryegate (fourth), Hannah Breitmeyer, Glover (fifth); Boden Callan, Berkshire (sixth); Brooke Breitmeyer, Glover (seventh)
- 12- and 13-year-olds: Lincoln Michaud, East Hardwick (first); Sam Callan, Berkshire (second); Dylan Slack, Bethel (third); Abby Carson, Newbury (fourth); Charlie Haynes, East Montpelier (fifth); Sadie Ellner, Morristown (sixth); Donovan Noyes, East Montpelier (seventh); Whitney Dunklee, Vernon (eighth)
- Novice Senior (14-18 and new to 4-H or dairy judging): Colby McLaughlin, Underhill (first); Hannah Judkins, Morrisville (second); Katelin Blake, Sutton (third); Anna Ondre, Springfield (fourth); Rosa Kehoe, Middlebury (fifth); Foster Hutchins, Enosburgh (sixth); Mairen Pourier, Ryegate (seventh); Cassidy Dunphy, Franklin (eighth); Bridget Denio, Waterford (ninth); Sophie Martin, Springfield (tenth)
- Senior (14-18): Isabel Hall, East Montpelier (first); Maddie Nadeau, Derby (second); Caroline Kirby, East Montpelier (third); Joseph Real, Georgia (fourth); Adele Biasini, Morrisville (fifth); Courteney Simpson, Sutton (sixth); Katy Howard, East Thetford (seventh); Kassandra Amey, Pittsburg, NH (eighth); Megan Callan, Fairfield (ninth); Averie Brown, East Montpelier (tenth)
To learn more about the Vermont 4-H Dairy Program, contact Wendy Sorrell at (802) 651-8343, ext. 513, or email@example.com.