4-H'ers Show Off Their Talents at 4-H Regional Day in Bristol
- By Rosemarie M. Garritano
Bristol--Northwest Regional 4-H Day, April 14 in Bristol, provided an opportunity for many of the region's most talented 4-H'ers to demonstrate what they've learned through 4-H club and project work.
The venue for the event, sponsored by University of Vermont Extension 4-H, was Mount Abraham High School. The 74 participants represented 15 clubs in Addison, Chittenden, Franklin and Grand Isle Counties. Assisting with the event were 4-H teens Kami Latulippe, Essex Junction, and Faith Ploof, Westford, both members of the Flying Hooves 4-H Club.
In addition to winning ribbons, entries in several categories, including action exhibits, public speaking and photography were selected for 4-H State Day, slated for May 12 in Barre, which features outstanding 4-H'ers from throughout the state.
The following entries were selected for State Day:
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Bethany Palmer, Weybridge
- POSTER: Isabelle Gilley, Bristol; Audrey Huston, Waltham; Amelia, Calvin, Tucker and Wyatt Kennett, all from Middlebury; Brailey Livingston and Dylan Mason, New Haven; Emma Reen, Bristol
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Amelia Kennett (Rabbit Care), Calvin Kennett (The Egg), Tucker Kennett (The Homing Pigeon), Wyatt Kennett (Chicken Behavior) and Sophie Lu (Slime), all from Middlebury; Lea Krause, Addison (Draft Horse Breeds)
- ACTION EXHIBIT: Whispering Pines 4-H Club, Westford (Flower Power)
- ILLUSTRATED TALK: Thomas Sirvinskas, Milton (Cardinal)
- MAKER-TINKER: Ava Carroll, South Burlington (two winning entries--Welded Man and Welded Man's Clothes); Noelani Rupp, South Burlington (two winning entries--Crocheted Ice Cream Cozy and Sculptured Totem)
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Samantha Blackmore, Charlotte; Lily Boutin, Kami Latulippe and Grace Parks, all from Essex Junction; Greta Friesen, Ella Haire and Neika Haire, all from Hinesburg; Allessandra Hoffman and Hannah Smiley, both from Milton; Mallory Hubbard, Morrisville (member of a xx County club); Faith Ploof, Westford; Griffin Preska, South Burlington; Sophia Schiffilliti, Colchester
- POSTER: Neika Haire, Hinesburg; Allessandra Hoffman, Milton; Madeline Langlois, Westford; Rebecca Moriarty, Jericho; Kiera Newton, Milton. Madeline's poster won "Best in Show" so also will be on exhibit at Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Massachusetts, in September.
- PUBLIC SPEAKING: Vivienne Babbott, Hinesburg (Equine Infectious Anemia); Samantha Blackmore, Charlotte (Making Art); Ella Haire, Hinesburg (Hunted Through Extinction)
- STAGE PRESENTATIONS: Ruby Bates, Essex Junction (saxophone solo); Flying Hooves 4-H Club, Colchester (Channel Surfing skit)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Flying Hooves 4-H Club, Westford (Barn Safety); Summer Le and Sophia Schiffilliti, both from Colchester (3D-Eventing); Faith Ploof, Westford (Pinhole Cameras); Sophia Schiffilliti, Colchester (Gypsy Vanner); Hannah Smiley, Milton (Galloping through Time)
- TECHNOLOGY: Kaitlyn Arena, Burlington (Processing Icelandic Wool--PowerPoint presentation); Green Mountain 4-H Club, Williston (We Love to Cook--video)
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Jenna Bennett, Gypsy Burdo, Camden and Jadyn Lapan, all from Swanton
- POSTER: Jadyn Lapan, Jakob Marinoff and Kelsey Paradee, all from Swanton
- ILLUSTRATED TALK: Audrey Chairvolotti, Grand Isle (Can I Write on Wet Paper); Jackson Chairvolotti, Grand Isle (How Birds Fly); Sadie Farris, Grand Isle (Maple Sugaring);
- POSTER: Jackson Chairvolotti, Grand Isle
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Audrey Chairvolotti, Grand Isle (Can I Write on Wet Paper)
To learn more about the UVM Extension 4-H program, visit www.uvm.edu/extension/youth or call the State 4-H Office toll-free at (800) 571-0668.