4-H'ers Show Off Their Talents at Regional 4-H Night
- By Kimberly Ann Griffin
Rutland--There was nothing unlucky about Friday, April 13, for the Bennington and Rutland County 4-H club members who took part in the Southwest Regional 4-H Night.
For the evening provided an awesome opportunity for them to demonstrate their skills in public speaking, music, technology, photography and other areas. And for several lucky--and talented--4-H'ers the event was a springboard to statewide competition.
Fifty-six 4-H'ers from 11 area clubs took part in this annual showcase of 4-H talent, held at the Diamond Run Mall. University of Vermont (UVM) Extension 4-H sponsored the event, which was emceed by Colby Butler of Dorset, a member of the Oxbow Mountain Shooting Sports 4-H Club.
The top exhibitors in selected categories qualified to continue onto 4-H State Day, May 12 at the Barre Civic Center, which will feature outstanding 4-H'ers from throughout the state, all winners at regional 4-H events.
- DEMONSTRATION (TEAM): Chloe Crawford, North Bennington, and Zack Crawford-Smith, Bennington (Reloading Shotgun Shells); Ann and PJ Fiegel, Arlington (Pysanky Eggs)
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Laura Rosenthal, East Arlington (Sunset Silhouette); Mara Rosenthal, East Arlington (Hide and Seek)
- POSTER: Emilia Barsotti, Bennington (Breeds of Horses); Alivia Southworth, Bennington (Breeds of Horses)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Ann Fiegel, Arlington (Origami); PJ Fiegel, Arlington (Ospreys), Piper Guy-Crosslin, Arlington (Habitat Loss)
- TECHNOLOGY (Website): PJ Fiegel, Arlington (Frogs to Logs)
- ACTION EXHIBIT: Kerry Crossman, Castleton; Emme Fairbanks and Elivia Lapre, both from Rutland; and Tamara Tyminski, Wallingford (Bath Fizzies)
- ILLUSTRATED TALK: Sophia Buonadonna, Rutland, and Makenna Dick, Pittsford (The Care of Rabbits); Olivia Bullock, Rutland (Nutritional Needs of a Guinea Pig); Colby Butler, Dorset (Let's Talk Turkey)
- MAKER/TINKER: Emmeline Barber, Clemons, New York (Brush Bot); Isabella Barber, Clemons, New York (Brush Bot); Wyatt Tarbell, Middletown Springs (Marble Run Extreme)
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Kelsey Adams, Pittsford (Green Up Day); Isabella Barber, Clemons, New York (Running Girl); Hannah Bertrand, Brandon (Design); Emily Buffum, Mount Holly (Cucumber Phone); Colby Butler, Dorset (Splash)
- STAGE PRESENTATION: Kadence Cardi, Rutland (singing); Kerry Crossman, Castleton (flute); Breanna Munger and Samantha Senn, both from Benson (flute duet); Tamara Tyminski, Wallingford (singing)
- SEWING: Breanna Munger, Benson (dress lined with boning); Samantha Senn, Benson (skirt); Nadine Charron, Benson (dress)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Gennett Kerstetter, West Rutland (Tack Time); Tristin Sumner, Granville, New York (Baby Ducks); Evelyn and Lorryn Trujillo, North Clarendon (Star Wars Historical Light Saber Production). Alternate: Rose Tarbell, Middletown Springs (How to Prepare for Piglets)
- TECHNOLOGY (PowerPoint presentation): Kelsey Adams, Pittsford (Cross-country Skiing)
4-H teens assisting with Regional Night were Colby Butler, Dorset; Kendra and Mackenzie Clark; Bomoseen; Adriana Dalto, Castleton; Alexia Diaz, Rutland; Heidi Kerns, Mendon; and Rose Tarbell, Middletown Springs.
To learn more about the 4-H program in Bennington and Rutland Counties, contact UVM Extension 4-H educator Kimberly Griffin at (802) 773-3349, ext. 276, or (800) 281-6977 (toll-free in Vermont) or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.