Talented 4-H Club Members Perform at 4-H Spring Showcase
- By Melinda J. Birch
Lyndonville--March 24 was a day of music, dance, demonstrations, action exhibits and more from 4-H participants in the annual Northeast Regional 4-H Spring Showcase.
A total of 140 4-H'ers from 20 clubs in Caledonia, Essex, Lamoille and Orleans Counties took part in this event, held at Lyndon Town School in Lyndonville. It was an opportunity to share their 4-H project work and activities with families, friends and the public, and for some area kids, meant selection for 4-H State Day, May 12 in Barre, which features top 4-H talent from throughout the state.
In addition to stage presentations, public speaking, demonstrations, illustrated talks, action exhibits, tabletop displays, posters and photographs, this University of Vermont Extension 4-H sponsored the event also included a fashions selections category. Working with a budget of $50, 4-H'ers were tasked with putting together an outfit to model on stage to demonstrate their "shopping smarts" and fashion sense.
Individuals and groups who will represent the region at 4-H State Day are:
- ACTION EXHIBIT: South Kirby Hilltoppers, South Kirby (Cowpony Cookies; participating club members: Margo Dwyer, Lyndonville; Lily Cahoon, Honora Davis, Audrey Puffer and Josie Thomas, all from Waterford); Squabble Hollow 4-H Club (Ready, Set, Show; participating club members: Ava and Olivia Smith and Emily Tanner, all from Lyndonville)
- DEMONSTRATION (INDIVIDUAL): Luke McReynolds, North Danville (The Art of Trapping Canines)
- DEMONSTRATION (TEAM): Keenan Evans, Danville, and Abby McReynolds, North Danville (Horse Grooming Skills); Andy and Nick McReynolds, North Danville (Turkey Calling 101)
- FASHION SELECTIONS: Bridget and Grace Denio, Katie and Rosie Nadeau, Kayden Rowell, Bryn Whitehead, all from Waterford
- MAKER/TINKER: Bridget Denio, Waterford (dog bed)
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Bridget Denio, Rosie Nadeau, Audrey Puffer and Bryn Whitehead, all from Waterford; Sarah Haselton, Groton
- POSTER: Abby McReynolds, Danville (Barn Fire Safety); Andy McReynolds, Danville (Gray Fox); Jasmine Mooney, St. Johnsbury (How to Safely Load Your Horse)
- STAGE PRESENTATION: Backwoods Teamsters, Ryegate (Working Steers skit; participating club members: Carrie Comstock, White River Junction; Kameron and Kate Gallant, East Calais; Olivia Hudson, Sheffield); Audrey and Mia Puffer, Waterford (piano duet)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Luke McReynolds, North Danville (Fletching); Carrie Comstock, White River Junction; Kameron and Kate Gallant, East Calais; and Olivia Hudson, Sheffield (Working Steers)
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Lillian and Hayden Parker, Bradford (The siblings are both members of an Essex County 4-H club)
- POSTER: Liviya Russo, Lunenburg (Intertidal Zone); Kayla Sline, Lunenburg (Shoot for the Stars). Kayla's poster was awarded Best in Show and so also will be on exhibit at Eastern States Exposition in West Springfield, Massachusetts, in September.
- STAGE PRESENTATION: Rozalynd Ahlmann, Lunenburg (vocal performance); Kailyn Jones, Lancaster, New Hampshire--member of an Essex County 4-H Club (signing to music))
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Alycia Gainer, Lunenburg (The Flute); Logan Russo, Lunenburg (1932 Briggs and Stratton). Alternates: Bobby Brown, Lunenburg (How Does a Robot Move); Liviya Russo, Lunenburg (Angoras and the Nazi Secret Service)
- ACTION EXHIBIT: Eden Eagles, Eden (Maple Syrup's Value Added Products; participating club members: Emma Durand, Kassie and Landon Merriam, Justin and Lillian Pastina, Isabella Sargent, all from Eden; Tiffany Kidder, Hardwick; Bella Trottier, Eden Mills); The Green Thumbs, Johnson (Maple Sugaring; participating club members: Jakob and Emma Boyer, Emily and Mariah Ingalls, Daishia Norris, Emily Wallace, all from Johnson); Leprechauns 4-H Club, Johnson (Maple Delight; participating club members: Patrick and Peter Holmes, Johnson; Luke and Ruth Vincelette, Lowell; Brittaneyann Wheeler, Newport)
- FASHION SELECTIONS: Emma Boyer, Emily and Mariah Ingalls, Daishia Norris and Emily Wallace, all of Johnson
- POSTER: Natalie Fuss, Hyde Park (Tail Ribbons); Morgan Van Blunk, Eden (Black Forest Horses); Emily Wallace, Johnson (Llamas)
- STAGE PRESENTATION: Daishia Norris, Johnson (vocal performance)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Patrick Holmes, Johnson (The Great Sphinx of Egypt); Emily Wallace, Johnson (Narwhals)
- FASHION SELECTIONS: Maia Young, West Glover; Anna Whittemore, Orleans
- ILLUSTRATED TALK: Bethany Conway, East Hardwick (Scours); Emma Conway, East Hardwick (How to Show a Chicken); Natalie Michaud, East Hardwick (Foot and Mouth Disease)
- POSTER: Morgan Michaud, East Hardwick (Tough Tractors); Danyka Moulton, Brownington (Cow Parts Game); Emma Rowell, Greensboro Bend (Intervertebral Disc Disease); Anna Whittemore, Orleans (Where Does Milk Come From?)
- PHOTOGRAPHY: Tisha Bailey, Zoey Copp, Emma Fortin and Cash and Knight Mosher, all from Derby; Paige Ainsworth, Bethany Conway and Steven Werner, all from East Hardwick; Jude Coe, West Glover
- PUBLIC SPEAKING: Gabriel Michaud, East Hardwick (Mastitis); Lincoln Michaud, East Hardwick (History of the Holstein Breed); Morgan Michaud, East Hardwick (Breast Cancer)
- STAGE PRESENTATION: Mya Bailey, Derby (flute medley); Border Livestock Plus 4-H Club, Derby (All That in a Hat skit; participating club members: Hailey DeLaBruere and Cora and Ryanne Nadeau, Derby; Katie Leitch and Emma and Maddie Nadeau, Holland); Frankie Thompson, Coventry (violin solo). Alternates: Kristopher Aiken, Derby (drumming); Jazmine Bogie, Lyndonville (vocal performance)
- TABLETOP DISPLAY: Tisha Bailey, Derby (Martin Luther King Jr.); Emma Fortin, Derby; Katie Leitch, Alaina Lemieux and Molly Patenaude, all from Holland (Believe it or Knot). Alternate: Zoe Young, West Glover (Common Dairy Cow Diseases)
To learn more about 4-H in Essex and Orleans Counties, contact Lindy Birch at (802) 334-7235, ext. 481. For Caledonia and Lamoille Counties, contact Anthony Willey at (802) 751-8307, ext. 357.