A Note from Staff Council President Catherine Symans
- By Catherine Symans
Welcome to Summer!
It has been an incredibly busy spring for Staff Council. With Commencement behind us, it is time to look back at what Staff Council has accomplished on behalf of all staff at UVM.
On May 17, 2013, I delivered my report and spoke to the Board of Trustees on behalf of staff. My comments focused on concerns around UVM's budget, the restructuring of the University, and some of the work of Staff Council. You can read these in full by clicking here. This document also includes reports from our staff Representatives on the Trustees' Standing Committees.
In addition, I was able to congratulate UVM's Class of 2013 graduates at Commencement. You can read my speech here.
I also want to commend the work of our four Standing Committees and Executive Board who have accomplished so much this year. Below are just a few of the major accomplishments of each Committee for your awareness.
Compensation, Benefits and Budget
- Submitted a Recommendation on Tuition Remission Language in the Staff Handbook
- Submitted a Recommendation on Nursing Mother Facilities at UVM
- Created Communications about UVM's Proposed FY14 Budget
Outreach, Assessment and University Engagement
- Created the 2013 Staff Council Survey to be distributed in September
- Updated the Staff Council's Promotional Materials
Personal and Professional Development & Occupational Environment
- Submitted a Recommendation on Supervisory Training and Performance Appraisals
- Worked with Transportation and Parking Services to provide more information online about the Zone Green Wait List
- Successful Holiday Bazaar and Food Drive where 651lbs of food was donated - the most ever!
- Creation of new events - Lake Monsters Baseball Game, Murder Mystery Dinner Cruise, Shopping Bus Trip, Staff Art Exhibit
- Continued Discounts - Season Ski Passes, Ski Vouchers/Coupons, Buy Local Coupon Book, Great Escape Tickets, Champlain Valley Fair Tickets, and much more
- Creation of Staff Council's Annual Update
- Letter of Support for Continued Work on Divestment from Fossil Fuels
- Participated in the Provost Search Process by interviewing all the candidates
- Updated Staff Council Bylaws to use Gender Neutral language
The 2013-2014 academic year is already shaping up to be a busy and exciting one and we look forward to finding new ways to address the needs of staff while making positive changes at UVM for all.
Be sure to check out all the fun events and great discounts available to staff this summer sponsored by Staff Council.
If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know by emailing Staff.Council@uvm.edu or give the Staff Council Office a call at 802-656-4493.
Enjoy your summer.
Staff Council President