Encompassing 65 wooded acres along Roberts Road in the town of Washington,
this forest parcel is one of UVM’s smallest. While several
species including yellow birch and white ash have been planted, most
of the growth here is native, representing the classic Vermont hardwood
forest. Washington Forest was originally a leased land established
in 1938, but it was reclaimed by the university in the early 1970s
and was offered to UVM for silviculture research. Long term research
was begun in the 1970s by a faculty member, Dr. Peter Hannah, who
was concerned with the regeneration and growth of high value hardwoods.
Today, the Washington Forest remains within the management care of
the Rubenstein School's Lands Committee. Yet, unlike other parcels,
there are no restrictions or constraints on this parcel, other than
the one-acre rural zoning enforced by the town. Also, there
are no facilities on site, only a poorly maintained dirt road that
runs the length of the property.